Firefox users: Australis is coming next Tuesday.

By on April 28, 2014 9:14:39 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

DrJBHL

Join Date 04/2002
+2155

Mozilla will be rolling out the stable version of the Firefox Australis (Ff 29) next Tuesday.

If you don’t like it, there’s an extension called Classic Theme Restorer (imaginative name, eh?), which can be found here.

If you want a good explanation of differences and some features of Australis, you can find them here.

There’s another add on: The Fox, Only Better  which changes some interface elements but is a lot truer to Australis in appearance.

Anyway, just to keep you Firefox users up to date…by the way, with the new IE exploit, changing to Firefox is certainly a way around it.

Sources for this are in the links above.

38 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 28, 2014 2:06:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

thanks for the head up !

actually I spent quite a lot of time to recreate my Firefox feeling in the new Australis UI

in the screenshot in front the new Australis (already in the FF beta version) in full screen the "old" FF 28 stable version

naturally I used the Classic Theme Restorer addon + some Stylish styles

btw I'm ready to share my customizations with all the Firefox lovers, just ask !

April 28, 2014 2:16:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Question being will WB still be able to skin the windows or has that been fubared?

April 28, 2014 2:38:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

HG- Couldn't tell you as all that have been out so far have been Beta builds.

On Tuesday, thou shalt behold and know (betting on FUBARed)! 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
April 28, 2014 5:06:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm taking a backup before it installs, just in case

April 28, 2014 6:08:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't know about Firefox 29 coming out next Tuesday. Just for giggles I checked to see if Firefox had any updates and I was updated to 29 today. It didn't work with many of my add-ons so I uninstalled it and went back to 28.

April 29, 2014 1:39:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,

It didn't work with many of my add-ons so I uninstalled it and went back to 28.

I used to hack the Firefox "About:config" (the FF Registry) but now the addon "Disable Add-on Compatibility Checks"

can easily do the job  >  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/checkcompatibility/?src=userprofile

then you can update FF again retaining all your previous addons

April 29, 2014 1:52:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

No, not that easy. I like to have the Add-on bar on the bottom. On that bar I have Forecast Fox running telling me the weather temp outside. The new Firefox gets rid of that bar. No thanks.

April 29, 2014 5:30:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Frequently some extensions are not ready for new releases. This happens when the extension dev hasn't updated or updated his/her extension incorrectly. Mine updated and I received no notification re incompatibility.

April 29, 2014 5:33:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,

No, not that easy. I like to have the Add-on bar on the bottom. On that bar I have Forecast Fox running telling me the weather temp outside. The new Firefox gets rid of that bar. No thanks.

Don't panic ! I also was very upset 4 months ago and my first move was to "Save the Addons-Bar" then I was able to recover the addon-bar thanks to the new addon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

if you prefer you can use a complete theme by Frank Lion also restoring the addonbar >

EDITED in reply 13

April 29, 2014 5:54:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I tried those extensions, they didn't work. It's OK, I will stick to version 28.

April 29, 2014 5:59:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think I'll stick to Chrome, less hassles.

April 29, 2014 6:35:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Incidentally, all my extensions are working just fine in Australis, and it accepts vStyler's "Eros" just fine. I haven't tried it with other skins (out of pure laziness) .

That being said, My browser of choice (at this point) is Chrome.

April 29, 2014 6:53:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

sorry it was my mistake, FrankLion was very prolific during the last period !

well this is the right theme restoring the addonbar, (he called "Bottombar Toolbar")  >

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/metal-lion-australis-tiger-sp/?src=userprofile

April 29, 2014 8:34:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yeah, just updated to 29.0 Australis on my notebook and don't see a lot of difference, really.  The UI has had a bit of a facelift, but other than that all is as it was before.... themes and installed addons work just fine.  Will do the same on my big beasty when I fire it up in the morning, but right now I'm off to bed for some much needed sleep.

April 30, 2014 1:40:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh look, they moved the home button again. Even further away from everything. By FF ~35 I'll be needing an extra screen just to see it.

April 30, 2014 4:50:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

why does anyone need a home button? do you set new tab to open a blank page or home?

April 30, 2014 5:32:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well I'm not so sure I like this update at this point in time.  Some web pages just aren't stable and keep flashing on and off, like the page is closing and reopening again.  Other times it will freeze up and I can't scroll/drag the page up or down.  This is on my notebook and I will revert back to the previous version until this is fixed.

April 30, 2014 6:24:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting alaknebs,

why does anyone need a home button? do you set new tab to open a blank page or home?

Home for google, new tab for rss feeds.

April 30, 2014 7:42:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

google? isn't that what the search bar thing is for?

i don't use start pages (about:blank) and new tabs go to blank too... so it doesn't bother me. then again... i keep things really simple..

April 30, 2014 8:09:07 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting starkers,

Well I'm not so sure I like this update at this point in time.  Some web pages just aren't stable and keep flashing on and off, like the page is closing and reopening again.  Other times it will freeze up and I can't scroll/drag the page up or down.  This is on my notebook and I will revert back to the previous version until this is fixed.

When I used FF the pages were herky jerky. Try to scroll up or down it would freeze then start up again then freeze some more. That's why I ditched FF in favor of Chrome. If the 'new' one is going to throw fits no sense in going for it.

April 30, 2014 9:57:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,

Quoting starkers, reply 17

When I used FF the pages were herky jerky. Try to scroll up or down it would freeze then start up again then freeze some more. That's why I ditched FF in favor of Chrome. If the 'new' one is going to throw fits no sense in going for it.

Thing is, it wasn't with all web pages, just a few here and there.  It may be a coding thing and FF needs the IE plugin to make it play fair with those pages.  I might look into that to see if it resolves the issue.  It wasn't doing it before the update, and I probably could have lived with it but for my internet banking page playing silly buggers while I was trying to make a transaction.... and that's one place you really don't want a browser hiccup to cause a monetary mistake. 

April 30, 2014 10:09:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I haven't seen that, Mark...which websites?

Actually, Ff 29 seems more customizable than its predecessors.

April 30, 2014 12:37:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
I haven't seen that, Mark...which websites?

Suncorp Internet Banking pages; sometimes on DeviantART and Majorgeeks... Gocomp, an online PC/parts store.  There were a couple of others I got linked to as well, but those are the main ones I remember., and it wasn't all the time. It could have been a script issue or just that one of my addons was getting disagreeable, but if others are experiencing similar issues I'm sure Mozilla will seek to remedy the problem sooner rather than later.  I have the FF error reporting function enabled so that Mozilla can investigate crashes and other failures, so maybe they are already aware of it.

And yes, it did seem more customisable... with a bit of luck I can return to its use on my notebook sooner rather than later.

April 30, 2014 2:46:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

actually the same day April 29 the Flash Shockwave plugin was updated to the last version 13

please keep your plugins updated > http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/  (naturally click the link only if you are running Firefox)

April 30, 2014 2:58:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

^ an excellent point, frankell.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000750   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.