Windows 7 x64 uninstaller

By on April 24, 2014 12:40:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Leo in WI

Join Date 03/2006
+29

Looking for a little help here. I have a friend with a laptop that seems to be pretty virus ridden. I've been able to get some out, but can't seem to access the actual Windows "Uninstall A Program" I can get into the control panel just fine but launching the "Uninstall a Program" never does anything. Google search has been no help, think  I haven't found quite the right wording. The results I am getting are trying to help me uninstall programs, but none are giving me a way to fix the non launch of the uninstall program itself. Have tried all kinds of wording/phrasing.

The computer is a somewhat recent Lenovo with Win7 Home x64 loaded.

Have tried many of the various malware/virus programs, some have found some stuff, others are reporting clean, but there are definitely toolbars and other crap I need to uninstall.

I have gotten IObit's Uninstaller to remove some stuff, but frankly it seems to be missing a bunch of stuff that is supposedly specializes in. Could be it wasn't properly installed in the first place and that is the reason.

I have given her a bit of advice on installing software to hopefully prevent the unintended installs in the future, but that is not helping her now. The worst part is she doesn't seem to have the discs to put the computer back to initial state So that isn't much of an option. In the long run, I can get her up and running with a fresh install from an extra purchased copy of Win7 Pro I still have laying around, but she also has many programs (Adobe subscriptions especially) that I really don't want to mess with if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips!

9 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 24, 2014 12:53:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hello Leo I have same o.s. I use Emsisoft emergency kit give that a try found more than any other anti malware program including Malwarebytes. Also try Revo uninstaller free edition works fantastic!

April 24, 2014 1:55:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks, I'll give those a whirl next time I mess with her computer. Really hoping to get access back to the uninstall feature via windows itself, but hopefully finding some more viruses (I really want that word to be virii   )will help in that regard.

April 24, 2014 3:34:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Don't know if this will help but for seriously infected systems you can try ComboFix just use with all other antivirus or antimalware disabled while you use ComboFix! follow instructions should do the trick! by the way you can find ComboFix on Softpedia or Majorgeeks hope it helps.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
April 24, 2014 3:52:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have gotten IObit's Uninstaller to remove some stuff, but frankly it seems to be missing a bunch of stuff that is supposedly specializes in. Could be it wasn't properly installed in the first place and that is the reason.

I've used Iobit's uninstaller for a while now and have had no issues with it, so I'm not sure why it seems to be missing stuff.  As you said, it could be that it wasn't properly installed to begin with, as in like a proper program, but it could also be that the problem lies with the virus(es).  It may be that it/they are not allowing certain items to be detected and/or uninstalled because it/they depend on them. 

I recall when my mother got this toolbar and search engine thing that kept hijacking her browser, it took me a few hours to completely rid her machine of it and all its remnants.  No matter how many times I uninstalled it using Iobit's uninstaller, the toolbar was there again after a reboot. I had to go through the registry, Program Files, Progam Data in C:, AppData, in her personal folder and the Windows Folder to remove all references to MySearch. 

However, there is an easier way now... Junkware Removal Tool.  It effectively locates and destroys unwanted files on your PC, so give it a try first, then try Add, Remove Programs to see if is again operational.  If not, you could try opening CMD Prompt as administrator and type sfc /scannow, which should restore any Window files that were either missing or corrupt.

Anyway, try that and see how you go.  Hopefully it works, but if not you can always repost here to see what else can be done.

April 26, 2014 12:56:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If it is a fairly recent notebook one could assume there may be a factory restore partition actually (hidden) on the HD itself.   Try to follow the system-specific recovery steps you may be in luck.

In my experience, even though you may be able to eventually get the system's uninstaller working again such a low-level infection likely caused other damage that may/may not be visible at this time.  In my opinion a full restore/reformat is the only truly 'safe' option.  First step after a reformat?  Create another non-admin user account and make that the user's MAIN account.  Instruct the user not to use the account with 'administrator rights' unless absolutely necessary and most certainly never when browsing the internet.

April 26, 2014 10:40:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Starkers, thanks I appreciate the advice, and will definitely give that tool a go.

the_Monk, Yeah I fear you may be right, I was really hoping to avoid that partly with all the software she has installed. This is her work computer (photo taking business... weddings and such), so I'd really prefer to not have her down for an extended period if possible. if it comes to that, I suppose I'll have to go down that road. And yeah good advice on the non-admin account, don't know if any of her software is picky over that type of stuff. I know from personal experience quickbooks is such an animal. Or at least it was, I am running a slightly older version, hopefully the newer versions have rectified such a nonsense requirement.

Thanks to all for their thoughts and insights.

April 26, 2014 10:42:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I should add in getting back access to the windows installer at this point may be more of a Quixotic quest. Perhaps just a touch of OCD

April 26, 2014 10:54:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
CMD Prompt as administrator and type sfc /scannow,
If that doesn't fix it, you are looking at a backup of all important files and a reinstall of Windows

April 27, 2014 1:43:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If the laptop is that infected you should really start afresh...........She needs peace of mind. You can never guarantee you'll get all the viri or malicious software by just throwing malwarebytes and all those other programs at it. Back up all her stuff and clean re-install from the recovery partition. If she does not have a recovery partition order replacement discs from Lenovo...........Don't take a chance..........Backup then clean and re-install. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.