Converting mp3/pc media files to mac files

By on April 9, 2014 6:51:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

TheBirthday...

Join Date 03/2006
+13

I'm not having much luck searching online for an answer. I want to burn a CD of media files for someone, but their only computer is a Mac. I don't think they know what the OS is, they're not very computer versed. The Mac is about 8 years old and I'm using a PC with Windows 7. Any help?

7 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 9, 2014 7:14:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I want to burn a CD of media files

What kind of "media" files?

As long as the files are standard media types: MP3, MP4, AVI etc. you should just burn the CD on your PC. The MAC will be able to read the files and play them.

April 10, 2014 5:19:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Hankers,

I want to burn a CD of media files

What kind of "media" files?

As long as the files are standard media types: MP3, MP4, AVI etc. you should just burn the CD on your PC. The MAC will be able to read the files and play them.

Even from 8 years ago? I already tried a CD burned normally, but it did not play on their computer.

April 10, 2014 8:26:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

When you burned media files (.mp3.....) to music CD,it would typically convert all of files to .wav which it's crucial that old Mac doesn't support. You may burn with data as .mp3 files. 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
April 10, 2014 8:49:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

A couple notes:

Use CD-R for recordings you want to play back in other players. CD+R and CD/RW often won't work going from machine to machine.

Make sure your burning software is burning them as Audio CD's and not as data. The discs have to be properly finalized to work well in other players.

April 10, 2014 7:31:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks Gasper and Wizard, but unless I'm reading wrong, you're both saying two do the opposite of each other. Or maybe Gasper is talking about playing through a cd-rom drive, thus creating them as 'data', and Wizard is talking about playing the burned CD on things like car stereo systems, boom boxes, dvd players.

By data do you mean I'd copy and paste the files to the burned CD instead of doing it through something like Zune/Windows Media Player? So the individual files can then be transferred to their computer and played? ie-not turned into .wav files

. Anyway, ty guys. Let me know if i'm understanding you correctly.

April 10, 2014 8:20:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting TheBirthdayParty,
Wizard is talking about playing the burned CD on things like car stereo systems, boom boxes, dvd players.

Or on anything other than the drive/rig it was burned on. If it is saved as data, odds are, the only way it will play is by copying the content back onto the Mac for playback. If burned as a Audio CD, it can be played directly. If using WMP click on the small arrow under Burn. From its dropdown menu, select Audio CD, not Data. Add the files to a playlist and you are all set to burn when ready. When it finishes, it will say Finalizing Disc. Done. Should play on anything that will play Audio CD's (.cda files)

If they want to save the music on the Mac from the disc, just rip it as mp3's again. and save.

April 10, 2014 10:09:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yeah,we did say opposite thing,but I was assuming that the old Mac may not play with Audio/Music CD. Either way,you should try one that works on your friends' end. 

Quoting TheBirthdayParty,

By data do you mean I'd copy and paste the files to the burned CD instead of doing it through something like Zune/Windows Media Player? So the individual files can then be transferred to their computer and played? ie-not turned into .wav files.

Yes. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000359   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.