Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

Google Chrome ugly font change?

By on April 8, 2014 8:42:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

SkOrPn

Join Date 04/2005

Hello, I just downloaded WB 8.03 last night to try on my nice new Windows 8.1 and everything has been working fairly OK except that it changed the font in Chrome to something VERY ugly, and no matter what I do I can't seem to get the original font back. The font in IE11 is just beautiful, but the new font change in Chrome is puke ugly. The menus are affected, the bookmarks bar is affected, the title bar, everything except for web pages. 

How can I get back either the original font or at least use the same font IE11 is using? And why is Google Chrome the ONLY part of Windows, and the only app that was given this very ugly font? Any ideas?

I tried using the font section in WB8 but it does nothing to change Chromes fonts. I tried using the Windows font changer and still nothing, lol... I spent all day today trying to get back the original font in Chrome and nothing works. Should I just try uninstalling Chrome, and re-installing now?

Please advise. Thank you very much

Rod

EDIT: Information about my system

Windows 8.1 64bit, with WindowBlinds 8.03 on an Intel i7 computer with 16GB of memory. I'm using the built in Lantana theme that WB comes with.

15 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 9, 2014 2:13:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Chrome is not play nicely with Windowblinds. Try go to WB settings which excluded it on some extents.  

April 9, 2014 3:06:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I just noticed that this ugly Font I am speaking of is also showing itself when you hover the cursor over items that have a popup window. I then get that ugly font there too. But it is extremely annoying on my Chrome browser. I thought this WindowBlinds was going to let me change fonts. If only I knew where Chrome gets its fonts from, maybe I could then do a proper search.

Why Internet Explorer is not affected is also a good question...

April 9, 2014 10:39:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

As I said,Chrome has some quirky tech that Windowblinds would not normally handle. Basically,I would just have Windowblinds painted the Title bar only as it fails to Scrollbar and buttons on the webpages,etc., 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
April 9, 2014 11:22:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Gaspershooters,

As I said,Chrome has some quirky tech that Windowblinds would not normally handle. Basically,I would just have Windowblinds painted the Title bar only as it fails to Scrollbar and buttons on the webpages,etc., 

Thanks, but I do not know what you are saying. I never themed Chrome, I only themed Windows 8.1, and only the skin of IE was affected, but its fonts were not touched. However, the skin on chrome was not touched, but the fonts were changed? That is backwards, lol...

I uninstalled Chrome, and then re-installed and nothing changed. So, I think it must be system fonts that Chrome is using, but no setting in WB is changing them back.

April 10, 2014 12:05:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

When you installed Windowblinds,all of applications got themed/touched/painted unless otherwise (which internally been excluded based on feedbacks from users or technicalities). In this case,Windowblinds failed to "theme" Chrome normally as it should be but Titlebar and other parts (on your case,the Font).  

April 10, 2014 1:13:53 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hmm, if it "failed" to theme it then why did it change the fonts? That suggests that it did theme Chrome, but only with different fonts. I never seen these fonts until I installed WindowBlinds, and I do not think the fonts appeared until I actually started using the included themes.

If I uninstall WindowBlinds will it remove the fonts? I might try that.

April 10, 2014 2:01:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting SkOrPn,
Hmm, if it "failed" to theme it then why did it change the fonts?

Quoting Gaspershooters,
In this case,Windowblinds failed to "theme" Chrome normally

If and/or when Windowblinds has issues with a particular program the 'temporary cure' is to exclude that program from being skinned [or attempted to be] by Windowblinds in the WB options...until such time as an update may correct it...

April 10, 2014 7:07:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Jafo,I have been told OP about that,yet he is continually/repeatedly saying the same thing but do the things that have advised.  

April 10, 2014 7:32:22 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Have you tried another theme?

It sounds like chrome is picking up one of the global fonts in which case exclusions will make no difference as fonts are globally shared.

April 10, 2014 9:58:59 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks Jafo, no one has mentioned that I could try excluding chrome. I will try to find that setting. Thank you... 

Neil, I tried all the themes it came with so far. The performance is better than expected. I have not had the chance to check out online themes just yet. By default its giving me enough control over window appearance but fonts don't seem to respond to wb requests. 

April 10, 2014 10:34:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting SkOrPn,

Thanks Jafo, no one has mentioned that I could try excluding chrome.

Are you serious?? Or kidding?? 

Quoting Gaspershooters,

Chrome is not play nicely with Windowblinds. Try go to WB settings which excluded it on some extents.  

April 10, 2014 1:21:32 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Sorry, I did not understand the way you wrote that sentence. My apologies...

Thank you very much

EDIT: I just checked my settings and I ALREADY had Chrome excluded, that was the very first thing I done before I even started this thread. It still changed my fonts on Chrome.

EDIT2: Good news, I figured it out. WindowBlinds does not like the built in Windows zoom feature in the Personalization > Display section of Windows. I usually use 125% as default (as seen in image below) per my eye Doctors orders to reduce the severe eye strain I get with my 1920x1200 monitor. So what I did was I took the Windows setting back to default 100% and the ugly text changed back to the normal text. Unfortunately, I can not use Windows this way because even at 125% I can just barely read the text. At 100% I might as well give up computing all together, just far too much painful eye strain trying to read micro text. Now if I uninstall WindowBlinds, the ugly text also changes back to the normal text. So, does this mean WindowBlinds only works properly at the default Windows magnification of 100%? Any ideas how to get around this limitation? I have to have at very minimum this 125% size, and in the browser I have to have 150% just to be able to read comfortably.

April 10, 2014 6:09:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting SkOrPn,
the severe eye strain I get with my 1920x1200 monitor.

Try lowering your resolution.

April 10, 2014 9:10:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

Quoting SkOrPn, reply 12the severe eye strain I get with my 1920x1200 monitor.

Try lowering your resolution.

THIS... great advice mr wizard. That never even occurred to me to try, but on a 24" monitor this actually worked. Somehow I was under the impression if I took my Dell 2407WFP out of its native res that I would lose sharpness. However, going to 1680x1050 (also an 8:5 res) actually looks just about the same as me increasing zoom to 125% (or what ever it is called). With a little more work every thing is just great now. Well except for the text seems soft or blurry edged and not sharp but that could be my eyes. Maybe I should run the clear type utility again. Or maybe that is how the skin is supposed to be. Not sure, but I really like how everything fits now.

Thank you Wizard1956 

April 10, 2014 9:32:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You are quite welcome. Glad I could help.

Don't forget to drop by the WinCustomize.com  WindowBlinds Gallery and grab you some skinning goodness. No matter what your tastes, there's something there for everyone.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.