Windows 8.1 Rant

By on April 2, 2014 11:51:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

BernieTime

Join Date 10/2009
+10

Eli the Computer Guy ranting on for 2 hours about why Windows 8.1 is garbage, even if Microsoft offered it for free.  Note that there is a rumor of Microsoft developing a Win 8.1 Free version that is more heavily tied to Microsoft Apps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPbEYP65n5A&feature=share

Eli is a pretty savvy guy, so his ranting is articulate and relevant to IT pros.

EDIT:  Okay, only the first 20 minutes is ranting.  The rest is his usual informative stuff.

15 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 2, 2014 12:27:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

From what I'm reading on Windows 9 (Threshold) folks might as well wait and have some more stuff to rant about.   There appears to be no turning back, of course I could be totally wrong.       

April 2, 2014 12:51:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Philly0381,

From what I'm reading on Windows 9 (Threshold) folks might as well wait and have some more stuff to rant about.   There appears to be no turning back, of course I could be totally wrong.       

There may be no turning back by Microsoft in which case there will be a "turning from" by consumers and Microsoft will really open the door for a competitor to push them out the door.

Hey back in the day AOL looked like it was going to be the big dog forever.

April 2, 2014 1:09:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
April 4, 2014 6:26:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

LOL    good one Doc!

April 4, 2014 6:51:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Eli the Computer Guy ranting on for 2 hours about why Windows 8.1 is garbage,

Its hard to take someone seriously, when they own 5 computers running W8 

April 5, 2014 12:18:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What's this stuff with Windows 9 causing rage?  

The last thing I want is for Microsoft to screw the pooch- that will lead to a platform war with PC- and that will be terrible for PC gaming.

April 6, 2014 1:17:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

''Eli is a pretty savvy guy, so his ranting is articulate and relevant to IT pros.''

Mmm... yeaah... Well I agree with the ''savvy guy'', though.

Windows 8.1 is a plan, not a product per se. It's the same plan as putting everything in the cloud. The plan is called Big Data and its relevancy to human management. But that topic is beyond such forums.

So what I tell to people who don't like Windows 8(well they still use it, but still complain - very usual human act) - Don't use windows 8. Get linux. Any linux. I even can teach linux. But they still refuse, cause it's just so frightening - the learning curve that is. You know what you need to know to run linux? How to use a search engine(yeah, googling). Solutions around free operating system as linux are MUCH more frequent than windows or mac.

Oh yeah, and gaming is pretty much tied to windows, except that from last year steam is available for linux, so there are more games now. Of course, talking about linux in sins forum... suicide(only windows platform supported)

Of course, I still use windows 50% of the time, but once windows 7 support is gone, I will be 100% linux guy(and trying to run windows games in linux environment).

April 6, 2014 3:26:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting albert6014,
Of course, I still use windows 50% of the time, but once windows 7 support is gone, I will be 100% linux guy(and trying to run windows games in linux environment).

That is made so much easier with Robolinux, which you can find here.  I have a copy but have yet to install it as I do not have a prepared machine that's available right now... still need a couple of parts to get it running.

As for talking Linux on a Windows forum being a sin, well not so here.  Many computer related discussions are held here, including Linux, Apple and Android related matters.  Now not alot of us particularly like Apple, and some will adversely comment on it [myself included ] but nobody's gonna call for your head over a Linux or Apple related post/thread.

Me, well I don't complain about Windows 8/8.1 because I like it and enjoy using it, but at the same time, I'm not opposed to the idea of using a Linux distro if it suits my needs.  For example, I have liked and enjoyed using Ubuntu in the past, and I like the info I've read on Mint so far, so when my Linux rig is ready I shall again run Ubuntu, try Mint and Robolinux to compare the user experience between them.

April 7, 2014 7:08:07 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

The two things that keep me from going to Linux are Stardock games and SFIV.

April 7, 2014 8:17:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Alstein,
The two things that keep me from going to Linux are Stardock games and SFIV.

2 things that keep me from going to Linux are sentience and an aversion to self harm....

April 7, 2014 9:22:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting Alstein, reply 9The two things that keep me from going to Linux are Stardock games and SFIV.

2 things that keep me from going to Linux are sentience and an aversion to self harm....

I wouldn't ditch Windows and use Linux as a primary OS, but I do like to dabble with things to see how they work and how they might serve my needs, so I have experimented with Ubuntu in the past and it's not a bad OS.  Having said that, however, it is not ready for the mainstream as yet and could do with a few cosmetic adjustments via Stardock apps to make it more customisable. 

April 8, 2014 10:33:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting albert6014,

So what I tell to people who don't like Windows 8(well they still use it, but still complain - very usual human act) - Don't use windows 8. Get linux. Any linux. I even can teach linux. But they still refuse, cause it's just so frightening - the learning curve that is. You know what you need to know to run linux? How to use a search engine(yeah, googling). Solutions around free operating system as linux are MUCH more frequent than windows or mac.

Except that the vast majority of PC users don't want to Google things to figure out how to make it work.  They don't even Google simple things in Windows, because they just want it to work.  There is no way they're going to Google an entire new OS experience.  Instead, they call their resident computer expert relative who fixes it for them and who, knowing how often they get "fix my computer" calls from all their family, abhors the idea of trying to put computer neophytes on anything other than Windows.  

Windows may lose some small market share to Apple, but it's not going anywhere in the PC desktop/laptop space.  

The real threat to Windows isn't desktop Linux, it's tablets removing the need for a desktop/laptop for light PC users.  If email and web browsing is all you do, tablets are matured to the point where you no longer need a desktop or laptop of any variety.  Any flavor of tablet fits your use case.  Which is where the whole Windows many devices, one experience experiment comes from to begin with. 

April 9, 2014 3:42:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kantok,

Except that the vast majority of PC users don't want to Google things to figure out how to make it work.   

Well, their loss, and our profit

April 9, 2014 7:42:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Kamamura_CZ,

Quoting Kantok, reply 12

Except that the vast majority of PC users don't want to Google things to figure out how to make it work.   

Well, their loss, and our profit

Yeah, cos when I can't figure something out I come here to the forums and ask questions... or I get on the direct line to PC God and ask yrag.

April 10, 2014 4:33:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"Get linux. Any linux."

Bwah, ha ha!  Hah ha ha!

Too funny

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000484   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.