WindowBlinds with Classic Shell problem

By on March 31, 2014 8:01:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

mjdbb1

Join Date 01/2010

I've been trying out WindowBlinds on Windows 8 to try to get an Aero-like experience.  The 'Win8' theme is very good, however when I use Classic Shell, the right column of the start menu has black text instead of white.  If I unload WindowBlinds, the text goes back to white like it should be.

I've discussed this over on the Classic Shell forums and have tried tweaking that program but WindowBlinds always takes over and changes the text to black.  It makes it really hard to see.

I've also messed around with the font settings in WB and they really don't have an effect.  It doesn't seem like any of the font settings have any effect.  Also, when I right-click the desktop, the pop-up menu is always in Arial font instead of the default SegoeUI.  Does WB just have issues dealing with fonts?

I love WB but I need a start menu.  I would use Start8, if only it had the fly-out All Programs menu, then it would be perfect.

Any advice on this?

7 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 1, 2014 8:36:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I love WB but I need a start menu. I would use Start8, if only it had the fly-out All Programs menu, then it would be perfect.
Any advice on this?

My Start8 on 8.1 Pro 64 behaves re 'All Programs' exactly the same as this machine does...Win 7 Ult 64 ....

April 1, 2014 10:03:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Either switch to Start8 or excluded Classic Shell. 

April 1, 2014 6:02:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

You can't exclude Classic Shell because it resides in explorer.exe.

A better question is, why does WB have to take over font settings, especially when it's own built-in font settings barely work correctly?

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
April 1, 2014 8:11:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Windowblinds probably isn't going to skin any other start menu replacement/cheat/hack other than Start8.

April 1, 2014 8:13:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have this annoying problem too and using Classsic Shell and latest WB.

It seems that WB treats Classic Shell menu as button. It's under "Edit button Controls" in Skinstudio. When i change the color in SkinStudio (Button Text) in button section then it changes to same color as the menu in Classic Shell. They seem linked.

and as mjdbb1 says WB take over font settings. That seems to be the problem. Question is how to fix it? Would be awesome if that could be fixed!

April 1, 2014 8:36:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Windowblinds Configuration/Fonts tab/ check 'I do not want to use any system wide fonts defined by the skin'.  [I assume you've done this].

Alternatively run Start8 rather than 'Classic Shell' ...and you'll have the same start menu function as with Windows 7....

April 1, 2014 8:41:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have checked the  'I do not want to use any system wide fonts defined by the skin'.

Makes no difference.

No i hate start8 so it's not a solution for me. I want the xp type menu.

Only Classic Shell gives the menu i want.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000437   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.