WindowBlinds makes Photoshop CS6 unusable (NOT solved)

When I open a photoshop file, it appears blank when I'm using WindowBlinds. When I use the basic Windows theme, it's normal. UPDATE: Works with graphics driver disabled (but that's not an option).

By on March 29, 2014 7:27:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Baniita

Join Date 09/2013

When I open a photoshop file, it appears blank when I'm using WindowBlinds. When I use the basic Windows theme, it's normal.

UPDATE: Works with graphics driver disabled (but keeping it disabled is not an option).

(I'd provide a picture, but it's literally just Photoshop open with nothing in it except the file open and a dark grey screen.)

I paid for Windowblinds, and then upgraded to Object Desktop a few days ago, and I can't use it? It's a upsetting that there's a timer on the amount of days left I have to use Object Desktop even though I can't use it without having ridiculously mismatched themes. (Like, I'm not using a fancy dock with Metro theme.)

Is there any workaround or fix for this?

Ticket ID: WDK-932-61615

Also, one other problem:

Above is dream loricae by bingxueling, my favourite theme, and the only one I use since the rest are either not my taste, or too impractical. My screen resolution on this new computer is Windows 8.1, resolution: 1920 x 1080. I'm not willing to change it. Does anyone know how I can alter the top bar (make it shorter horizontally) there to line up with the menu? I opened up the .tga file in Paint.NET and SkinStudio, but the actual length of the top bar is much shorter than it appears on my screen. That must mean WindowBlinds is extending it too far? How do I fix that, if it's fixable?

The "shut down" button is terribly upscaled, but I can fix that (probably).

My drivers are up to date. WindowBlinds is at its latest version. Yes, there's another thread with photoshop bugs. This problem is different.

edit: Yes, I aleady tried excluding the 64x app in the list, and that was the version I'm using. I should add that Photoshoop CS5 worked fine on my other computer, which is Windows 7 and has the same WindowBlinds theme.

edit2: I used Revo to completely uninstall WB along with wiping certain registry keys, and Photoshop worked with the basic Echo theme. I installed dream loricae theme, and that worked too (at least at first--it hecks up again if I even touch the colour options).
But when I went to transfer over the files for the customized version I made of dream loricae (all I did was recolour it and changed fonts and colour schemes), it stopped working again. After several hours, I figured out that themes that tamper with custom system colours mess up Photoshop right away. But as soon as I activated dream loricae, and switched back to a simpler theme like Echo, Photoshop will no longer work with any theme except default Aero.
But even with the changed system colours, if I disable my graphics card in photoshop, pictures show up in Photoshop again.

EDIT3: Fixed. Instead of excluding Photoshop, I checked "skin this even if it uses Direct3D" or whatever, and it worked. Thank you, forum denizen!

NOPE. After checking "skin this even if it uses Direct 3D", the menus don't pop up anymore. :/ If I open the "image size" window, no window pops up, and Photoshop is disabled, and I have to exit the program through task manager. Photoshop is still unusable with Windowblinds. Also, the top of the start menu still doesn't line up.

42 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 29, 2014 7:32:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Exclude Windowblinds from skinning it and it should work fine.

March 29, 2014 7:40:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Already did that.

Didn't work.

March 29, 2014 7:54:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Some skins don't play well with PS. Did you try other skins? 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 29, 2014 8:18:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Reply number one works fine for me as far as Photoshop is concerned.

As for your start menu, what OS are you using?

March 29, 2014 8:21:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This may be a dumb question but did you exclude the 64 bit version or the 32 bit version. (The shortcut you're displaying is the 64 bit version)

I excluded both on mine and don't have a problem but I have CS5.

March 29, 2014 8:22:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I tried at least 6 other skins. None of them worked except Metro. I hate Metro.

I'm using Windows 8.1.

I already thought of the bit versions. I can only exclude one version at a time. It won't let me exclude both because they both have the same filename. It's not relevant, anyway. I blocked the 64x version, and opened the 64x version.

I should add that Photoshoop CS5 worked fine (with WB exclusion) on my other computer, which is Windows 7 and has the same WindowBlinds theme.

March 29, 2014 8:46:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Grah.

So I tried a few more things--I disabled the 32x version this time, and used the 32x version CS6. Same problem persists for multiple themes.

I tried it again with my graphics driver disabled. It works. . _. So I've pin-pointed the problem, but disabling it isn't an option. That's like, the point of getting this comp. CS6 crashes on my old comp because of driver issues.

Yes, my NVIDIA driver is updated to the latest version for my comp.

...still no workaround, or?

edit: I tried blocking all the executable files I could find for graphics drivers. No avail.

edit^2: I've tried everything I can think of. :C *sigh* I'm really trying here, and I went through pages of searching on the forums.

edit^3: There are 60 views on this thread and I swear at least 20 of them are me refreshing. *cries into the sun*

March 29, 2014 9:21:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

One good trick:

Write to support@stardock.com.

In your request for help, include a screen shot and the URL of this thread.

It's the weekend so don't expect a real person to reply until Monday or Tuesday. You WILL get an 'auto-reply' which has your ticket number (so keep that).

March 29, 2014 10:45:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
It's the weekend so don't expect a real person to reply until Monday or Tuesday. You WILL get an 'auto-reply' which has your ticket number (so keep that).

And don't reply to that email, or you'll move back in the queue. 

March 29, 2014 10:49:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Baniita,
Yes, my NVIDIA driver is updated to the latest version for my comp.

I use Windows 8.1 Pro. Photoshop CS6 64 bit. The latest NVidia gfx driver.

No problems whatsoever.

Your problem has to be something else.

March 29, 2014 11:01:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Get rid of your current driver (a chauffeur would be better, ) - and get a brand new one. Hope your graphics card's ok.

March 29, 2014 11:10:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Updated to most current driver, according to Lenovo and the system.

Intel HD Graphics 4600 (10.18.10.3412)
NVIDIA Quadro K1100M (9.18.13.3276)

I'd check the website again, but I'm terrifed of getting another BSOD. X _x I spent hours updating my drivers the first time, and it kept doing the loop reboot and then BSOD--even worse, my OS is in Japanese half the time, and I can't understand jack.

I wouldn't buy a new card for a new comp, if that's what you mean. Nor do I have the money.

March 29, 2014 11:25:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm running win 8.1, PS CS6, WB and a GTX 670 with driver version 326.60 with no issues. Note I'm not using the must current drivers, as I had problems with them on my gaming rig and had to roll back to an older version that was stable. If you do install an older version make sure to uninstall the current drivers and reboot before installing any other revision.

March 29, 2014 11:35:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Baniita,
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (10.18.10.3412)NVIDIA Quadro K1100M (9.18.13.3276)

Which is it, it can't be both.

March 30, 2014 12:03:27 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
Which is it, it can't be both.

Some of the Lenovo ThinkPads do have both and will switch automatically using the Intel HD Graphics to save power.

March 30, 2014 12:38:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ok. I sit corrected. Never heard of that before.

April 1, 2014 3:47:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've uploaded the logs from SD Support.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=BEB1D3D1B44E8F1F%211112

April 1, 2014 4:01:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's only been 3 days, and you can't count the weekend. Patience..... 

April 8, 2014 5:44:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Still nothing...

April 9, 2014 7:24:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Responded to support email by purging WindowBlinds and re-installing. . _.

It didn't work. Problem persists.

April 9, 2014 7:28:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Although you probably did (after re-installing), did you remember to put the x32 and x64 Photoshop.exe as exceptions in your per application tab?

April 13, 2014 8:10:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This is really weird.

Okay, Support told me to purge WindowBlinds with the batch file, and that didn't help at all. I used Revo to completely uninstall WB along with wiping certain registry keys, and Photoshop worked with the basic Echo theme. I installed dream loricae theme, and that worked too (at least at first--it hecks up again if I even touch the colour options).

But when I went to transfer over the files for the customized version I made of dream loricae (all I did was recolour it and changed fonts and colour schemes), it stopped working again. After several hours, I figured out that themes that tamper with custom system colours mess up Photoshop right away. But as soon as I activated dream loricae, and switched back to a simpler theme like Echo, Photoshop will no longer work with any theme except default Aero.

(And it doesn't work again unless I completely wipe WB. I tried just deleting the registry keys for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Stardock\WindowBlinds\Colors, but then it comes back right away after deleting). So I uninstalled, rebooted, and re-installed many times doing experiments.

But even with the changed system colours, if I disable my graphics card in photoshop, pictures show up in Photoshop again.

(siiiigh)

I really don't get it.

April 13, 2014 9:07:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Have you try temporarily unload WB and switch back to Windows default theme and reboot?? Apparently,the colored schemes has tampered PS showing rightly. 

April 13, 2014 12:32:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Erm. ...Can you please rephrase that? I've been switching back and forth default and Echo and Metro many times, trying to diagnose the problem. I have no idea what "tempered PS showing rightly" means.

April 13, 2014 1:18:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have spelled wrong,as your word:tamper.

I used to have a similar problem with some skins,but not much and weirdly it happened on very old skins.  All I did was unloaded WB and switched to the Windows default theme,reboot. BTW,WB has "Hyperpaint" or background options. You may try those,otherwise I have no clue either. 

BTW,Windowblinds rely on graphic card as any graphic design programs,game. I have to exclude 3DS MAX due to sudden close of windows.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000531   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.