Windows 8.1 update 1: Black screen

By on March 20, 2014 6:10:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

ebsbow

Join Date 12/2008

I seems that DeskScapes for Windows 8(.1) doesn't work after

applying the update 1 Microsoft has leaked. Maybe you guy's

are aware, but as it is, it breaks the application at this time.

Is there an update or an fix for this yet?

For the moment the background is just black. Looks a bit sad.

edit:

Nevermind. Just found the new beta and it seems to fix the problem.

Please remove this post, thanks.

12 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 20, 2014 6:55:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

About those leaked updates:

Quoting Neil Banfield,

You may encounter serious issues with some software as developers have yet to have the chance to update software,

Again I must strongly suggest that they are not installed.  Stardock are unlikely to accept bug reports from any machine running them.

March 21, 2014 4:46:26 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The update is RTM and has been updated by MS accordingly. Nothing abnormal here.

I also installed the 8.09 beta and all seems to be working again.

<?>Any Admin, please delete this thread. Thank you.

March 21, 2014 9:46:31 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The current release version of DeskScapes is 8.1 which was released in October so I don't know where you found the 8.09 beta.

However as noted by RedneckDude, the use of the 8.1 update 1 bits will result in no technical support until they are officially released.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 21, 2014 10:28:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

... Seriously, it is the Forum thread 'DeskScapes 8.09 Beta Available' that confused me...

And really, I was not aware of any new releases. I had to find 'the silent release' through the forum 'DeskScapes 8.09 Beta Available'.

March 21, 2014 10:31:55 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

You can always find the latest version of your software in your Stardock account.

http://download.stardock.com

March 21, 2014 11:06:40 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yes, thanks Island Dog.

Sadly there isn't any indication it is an new version. Still says '8' as version, nothing else.

edit;

correction, unless you 'accidentally' hover over the download button..

April 14, 2014 3:18:46 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Any update on this as mine has stopped working since update 1. Funny thing because it only stopped working this morning almost a week after i installed update 1. 

April 14, 2014 8:32:29 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Did all dreams stop working or just some? What happens when you attempt to apply a dream?

April 14, 2014 1:55:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yeah all black mate, at one point I was able to apply a wallpaper through Deskscapes and then it decided no I can't do that either now after rebooting, black desktop. It doesn't even show the preview of the selected dream anymore. So i'm currently back to a boring wallpaper.

I'm running windows 8.1 x64 non pro (LEGIT) with update 1, which I installed on release without problems. Strange that it worked for a week then fails. And I've not installed anything within the last few days at least as I've been playing ArmA3 for the last week or so when not at work. So i'm dumbfounded!

April 14, 2014 2:21:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Did you upgrade your video drivers recently, or install any new video codecs?

April 14, 2014 3:56:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Not updated anything for at least a few days as been playing games and it's been fine until I fired the PC up this morning. It was running fine as of last night after playing ArmA3. I use shark007 codecs and my NVidia driver is currently 334.89.

I've just noticed that my start8 icon has vanished now as well, that too was fine earlier. Just tried to configure start8 to sort my custom icon out and it's seems to have uninstalled itself lol! Think I have a ghost in the machine. Reinstalled start8 and it seems to be working but it's deskscapes I want as I have some cool dreams. Unfortunately not real ones!  

Tomorrow i'll uninstall shark007's codecs to see if that does anything since you've mentioned codecs.

April 15, 2014 2:59:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well that didn't do anything. Black screen after applying dream and preview screen is black. When trying to use the programs folder options or settings the program just locks up completely.

Managed to get the dream preview pain working by run as admin and settings all work but it won't run the dream or wallpaper on desktop. I can select a jpg etc right click get wallpaper that way but no longer from the program itself. I've sent a log to support!

**UPDATE**

Thanks to the guys at stardock support my problem is now fixed. Purged my registry and uninstalled. Rebooted then reinstalled and it works a charm. Top notch stardock. 10/10 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000562   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.