TV used as monitor cutting edges off

need help from gurus

By on March 17, 2014 4:02:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ElanaAhova

Join Date 09/2008
+85

Running an i7, win 7 home premium x64, GTX 670 NVidia, using SONY 30” HD LCD TV for monitor.  Desktop and program s display with a bit being cut off all four edges.  It’s like the desktop is a little too big for screen, so it centers it and leaves a bit to run off outside the screen area.  Consequently, I can’t see info that’s along the edges.  Web activities are not affected.  I have been to MS, Tom’s Hardware, eHow, and MajorGeeks.  Nada help.  Anyone been thru this or knows what’s up and can give me good advice?  Thank you!

EDITs re posts.

TV is running at recommend screen size, etc.  It has a PC setting but wont let me select it.  Only choices I may select are TV (Broadcast) or HDMI 2).

I have not been able to access the Nivida control panel in over 6 months.  Every time I try, I get nothing.  I tried to fix this months ago, but could not get advise that actually worked.  Several people here on the boards offered advice.  None of it worked. 

39 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 17, 2014 4:14:34 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Yes, it's either:

a) the "screen fit", or whatever it's called on your tv in display options.  Fool around there, or

b ) Not sure if you have nvidia, but if you use AMD open the Catalyst Control Panel, and under Digital FLat Panels, there are scaling options.  Tool around with those.  

The only other problem I can think of would be is if your tv is 720p and youre using 1080p, but I doubt it.

Hope this helps.

March 17, 2014 5:26:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I believe you are just going to have to try and find the best resolution to run at that is within you monitors capability.  Check your paperwork on the TV and see what the max resolution is.  Depending on it's age it maybe less than 1920 x 1080.  Have you changed you DPI setting to something higher than normal?  Doing so will change how things appear on the screen.   

March 17, 2014 6:01:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting mafutnyoas,
b ) Not sure if you have nvidia, but if you use AMD open the Catalyst Control Panel, and under Digital FLat Panels, there are scaling options.  Tool around with those.  

Definitely try your graphic card control panels.

I used to use an HDTV and they have odd default resolutions. You have to test them to see what works, what comes close. 1440x900 worked well on the 26" HDTV I used.

You will probably need to adjust the vertical and horizontal placement on the television itself once you find the resolution that works as a final tweak.

I liked the HDTV overall. If I had an issue it was with the fonts (clear type doesn't always help with HDTV's) and the color, contrats, brightness, etc. etc.. Color adjustment on the HDTV's can just be brutal, especially if you're skinning. If you are skinning, have other folks test your skins (colors, etc) or use a laptop or regular PC monitor if you have one. There will almost always be a difference between the two.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 17, 2014 6:15:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Check the TV's settings for 'PC Mode' or similar. Even though we have pure digital connections these days and everything should be 1:1, many HDMI displays still overscan by default for some bizarre reason.

March 17, 2014 6:45:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Open NVidia control panel, look for a resize desktop control.  I can't get it to open right now, or I'd give more detailed info.

But it is the way to fix your problem.

March 17, 2014 7:11:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

March 17, 2014 7:12:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

March 17, 2014 9:10:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kryo,

Check the TV's settings for 'PC Mode' or similar. Even though we have pure digital connections these days and everything should be 1:1, many HDMI displays still overscan by default for some bizarre reason.

Yes, the issue will be with the TV's options for zoom/letterbox/4x3/widescreen, etc,....not with the comp settings at all.

If you can't see the 4 extremities you're in zoom.  If/when you have a PC Input setting the TV screen will attempt to display whatever res the OS sets...including VGA on boot.  Once you're in PC input mode you will really need to do as with ALL LCD monitors....set the OS to NATIVE screen res of the panel.

Big TV screens [physically] don't always give you big resolutions...eg...my 21" monitor is native at 1680x1050 while Terry's TV [about 36"] is native at 1360x768. [OK....so she's a wee bit blind]...

March 17, 2014 9:58:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Guys, I hate to tell you, but I had this same problem. The issue is fixed in NVidia control panel as per my instruction.  

I tried all the TV's options for zoom/letterbox/4x3/widescreen and ratio adjustments on the TV. It will be in the NVidia CP that she finds her answer.

March 17, 2014 10:05:48 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Guys, I hate to tell you, but I had this same problem. The issue is fixed in NVidia control panel as per my instruction.

Wow, youre confident.  Nice screenshots, but unfortunately unless you know for sure if the poster is using an Nvidia card, you may not be right.  Besides, you basically just repeated what I said in my post, lol.  Jesus.

March 17, 2014 10:08:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting mafutnyoas,

Quoting RedneckDude, reply 9

Wow, youre confident.  Nice screenshots, but unfortunately unless you know for sure if the poster is using an Nvidia card, you may not be right.  Besides, you basically just repeated what I said in my post, lol.  Jesus.
I'm confident because I have been through it.

From the OP:

Running an i7, win 7 home premium, GTX 670 NVidia, using SONY 30” HD LCD TV for monitor.

March 17, 2014 10:09:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting mafutnyoas,
Besides, you basically just repeated what I said in my post, lol

Great minds think alike. 

I know I repeated what you said, with pics to help. 

March 17, 2014 10:11:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have not been able to access the Nivida control panel in over 6 months. Every time I try, I get nothing.

I had the same problem tonight when trying to get you the images. I had to update to the most recent driver from NVidia, and choose a fresh install, rather than an update.

Seems Nvidia CP and Windows 8 don't play well.

March 17, 2014 11:03:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
March 18, 2014 4:50:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Definiteley the TV´s settings. -Just fixed this exact issue that was bothering us here too.

March 18, 2014 7:28:41 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Rescaling from the computer end may "fix" it in that it fits, but you're going to wind up with a fuzzy picture because you're actually downscaling the digital image to counter the panel's overscanning. For really old TVs or when outputting via analog, sometimes this is the only option though.

I've got four Samsung displays, and even on the ones designed for use as monitors, they factory default to overscan mode on digital connections and have to be put in PC Mode to render the signal 1:1. The correct setting appears to be commonly called "Full Pixel" in the picture mode or display settings on Sony TVs.

March 18, 2014 7:40:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes, again....listen to Kryo .... been there and done that with Terry's big screen TV ....

March 18, 2014 8:28:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thank you all.  I suppose I could get a non HD cable to connect pc to tv.  Anyway, I haven't been able to get at Nvidia control panel for six months.  Everything I click on its icon, nothing happens.  Tried in start menu, etc.  Nothing gets it to actually appear.  Still same, cannot get Nvidida control panel to show.  Thanks all. 

March 18, 2014 8:47:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Right click on the desktop ....go to 'screen resolution'.... change it to 1280x720 ....

close eyes...fingers in ears...

and see what happens...

March 18, 2014 8:50:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

OK Jafo, will try changing screen resolution.  Then fire up FE:EH, etc and see. 

It makes all icons larger, and even more is cut off at edges.  So happy an instant "revert" option is available...

March 18, 2014 9:05:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,
It makes all icons larger, and even more is cut off at edges.

OK...1920x1080 ...

...do same with fingers/eyes...

March 18, 2014 9:16:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Elana...if you post the specific TV model number we can google its settings/options.  I have a full 1080 Bravia in the lounge that's bound to be different [age/size]...

If the Teev has a VGA input....use that....there'll be acorresponding input 'source' option in the menu that will [should] get you there [assuming no oddities in DPI settings in the OS]...

March 18, 2014 9:29:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Every time i try and reinstall drivers, even the 'win7 64x ' version ... even as admin, window comes up saying its "% yada, not a valid 32 bit application." 

TV is a Bravia KDL 32S5100   I'm wondering if the nvidia control panel exists on my machine.  Nvidia site dones't help... non of their 'auto detect, etc. work.  

March 18, 2014 9:35:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

BTW, the Nvidia folder has folders for about 8 different drivers.  Should I delete the folders of drivers not being used now?

edit  also, I have this 'no script' program - might hat be blocking me?  Got rid of it.

March 18, 2014 9:55:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting PoSmedley,

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Update those drivers!

Tried.  Even the one for win7, 64x says, e en when installing as adm, "% yada not a valid 32x application.'

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.