This little gem is just what the Doctor ordered for those who repair family PCs/laptops as well as being a great portable tool on a stick if you’re traveling.
First of all, it’s free, it launches from the systray, and gives you organized access to everything organized on the USB device and the computer. Further, you can add items to the menu easily.
Here’s what it looks like:
- Organize and launch applications via a tray menu
- Closes running applications on USB-Sticks automatically
- Checks if an application has been changed before execution
- Quick Start functionality to start applications with a few keystrokes
- Automatically mount/dismount TrueCrypt container
- Runs on USB-Sticks without leaving any traces on a host PC
- Portable Start Menu is Freeware
Additional functions on USB sticks:
- Create an autorun file to automatically launch Portable Start Menu
- Close running applications when you exit Portable Start Menu
- Safely remove your USB-Stick
You can get better instructions on how to use the software and download the setup.exe file at TheWindowsClub and the download link is at the bottom of the article.
As always, before installing ANYTHING on your computer:
1. Do your own research about the software.
2. Determine your need.
3. Create a restore point in case anything goes wrong during the installation.
4. If you haven’t done a backup within the past week, do one. It’s painless and saves quite a bit of regret.
5. Always choose "Custom" or "Advanced" installation if offered. That will allow you to view whether the software comes in a wrapper with toolbars, home page and search engine switchers or other software/Adware you might not want.