An Observation... And A Sad One At That

few posters but many, many more lurkers... too many, in fact

By on February 26, 2014 9:32:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

starkers

Join Date 05/2004
+983

I spent a while away from the site to deal with various things, but on my return I notice the same few posters putting up various threads, and hundreds of lurkers, people who read those posts and benefit from the information provided, or get a laugh from them, but rarely or never contribute anything towards them.

So when I say it's sad, given how slow the forums can be some days, that's exactly what it is, S....A....D, SAD!  It reminds me of the old commuter trains we used to have here in SE Queensland [Aus], where each carriage had around 10 rows of 2 bench seat compartments and a door either side.  We used to call them cattle trains because of how people were so crowded in...and when all the bench seats were occupied another half dozen or so would cram into the small compartment and have to stand on what little floor space was left after the seated passengers had placed their feet and brief cases, etc. 

Anyway, to cut a long story a bit shorter, there were these hundreds and hundreds of daily commuters, many travelling in the same compartment next the same people every day five days a week, all hidden behind the Courier Mail, which back in the day was a full sized newspaper, and none ever spoke to each other, not ever... and when those trains, of which there were dozens, and therefore the scene was repeatedly repeated, reached the city, all those people dispersed to their respective jobs, and still not speaking to each other, for any feching reason, until the journey home.  The same scene was repeated on dozens and dozens of commuter trains carrying 1000's and 1000's of people, all of them with their heads stuck in the Telegraph, Brisbane's afternoon paper.

So, the purpose of this sad commuter story, which hasn't changed a great deal since the 1970's, apart from the diesel drawn cattle trains becoming electrically powered cattle trains carrying yet another generation of equally 'miserably inclined' people, is to draw its striking resemblance to the oft desolate forums here at WC, where a handful of people post and the majority has its head stuck in a feching newspaper. 

Okay, maybe not a newspaper, but there is no participation from these lurkers to validate their existence here, no contributions to say: "Hey, I like this place and benefit greatly from it, so here's something in return."  No, it's too much feching trouble.  Well for mine, if you can take the time to read a thread/post, then you've enough time to post something... something so that regular contributors can acknowledge you, as a person and not some 'page view statistic', has truly joined the WC family and is a part of the human race.

Since my return a couple of months ago I have tried to visit more threads to contribute and participate, with a bit of information, with a bit of humour... something to say I'm a member and I've been here, but don't leave it all up to me all you lurkers, get your heads out of whatever and  please join the rest of us.

Locked Post 94 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 26, 2014 6:09:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting PoSmedley,

Quoting starkers, reply 14That'd be right, puff out yer chest and get all manly while yer the other side of the screen.  Feching typical of a once welcomed participant who's become a lurker because it's so much easier to squeeze the pimples on his arse when using both hands.  and what's more, where do you get off criticising Australian public transport like that?  Have you been on it recently?  No, of course not, you haven't got a bruised shin.

And the thing that most annoyed me about you was your repeated attempts to impersonate Dr House, when in fact the TV personality you most resemble is Bugs Bunny.  Oh, and leave my feching hate out of it.  You have no right or business to even mention it, not when the vacuous space between your ears would suck any hat up your nostrils quicker than a rat up a drainpipe.

As for China being 'down under long before I wandered the outback, which I think is a particularly cruel comment when it is well known that i can no longer throw a boomerang due to tendonitis in my tongue, I'll have you know that it was 'down under' long before you were 'up over' as well, and if you want to go all historical here, let me remind you that it was you, in fact, who royally sucked goose eggs well before doc raised the issue of your being an all-day-sucker.  So get off yer high horse and try something lower so's you can have both feet touch the ground for once.

Oh, and before I go, stop using big words like synopsis. it clashes with your mascara and doesn't compliment your choice of lingerie.

oh YEAH?!?!?!

You back again?  And so soon, too.  Might as well make yourself useful while you're here, then.  Okay, so go to the broom closet, and be sure to behave while in there - don't keep your hands to yourself, if you know what I mean, and collect yourself a feather duster. I then want you to go forth and visit the married women of WC, lift their right arms, shake the feather duster in the armpit vigorously, and ask: "Have you ever been tickled, missus?"

Fail to complete this very simple task and you shall henceforth be excommunicated from the Order of Exasperated Wingnuts and be cast forever into the void of Algernon the Great's kingdom of Minor Babylon the 3rd.

February 26, 2014 6:09:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Phoon,
Starkers.. you need to ask Po about the "deflowering of the chickens". That should shut him up a bit!

Deflower this.

February 26, 2014 6:12:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy he's back, the Captains back... and in rare form I'd say!!  Shiver me timbers, anchors away...the jib jab is flappin in the wind...and so on and so forth!! 

popcorn anyone?  

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 26, 2014 6:13:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Po's back too!!!! 

February 26, 2014 6:13:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
my attempt to get in the Guinness Book of World Records for being the only pirate captain in Australia to have a storm in every port and a port in every girl.

Better to port than not to eh cap'n.

February 26, 2014 6:23:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Phoon,
Starkers.. you need to ask Po about the "deflowering of the chickens". That should shut him up a bit!

I don't need to ask, I have in my possession a 45 minute video of him not only deflowering chickens but RND's girlfriend, Dolly the Sheep, as well. I've been meaning to blackmail him with it, but there may be other familiar faces contained in the footage and i should edit it to protect the innocent, not so innocent and RND, who may well the the recipient of the next demand for proceeds heading 'down under'.  Yeah, there's one particular love scene that he features prominently in, well it looks a lot like him, and if it's not there's always 'editing', and I figure he'd pay handsomely to keep it from being the next installment of the XXX series "Beasts in the Barn" showing late every 2nd Friday of the month.

February 26, 2014 6:28:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting teddybearcholla,
popcorn anyone?

don't mind if I do..     

Quoting teddybearcholla,
the Captains back... and in rare form I'd say!! Shiver me timbers, anchors away...the jib jab is flappin in the wind...

yep.... seems so...                                                                  

February 26, 2014 6:46:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting PoSmedley,

Quoting Phoon, reply 22Starkers.. you need to ask Po about the "deflowering of the chickens". That should shut him up a bit!

Deflower this.

Now that's truly below the belt, and let me assure you it will evoke severe retribution.  The transgender and cross-dressing communities of the greater district of SE Queensland are a clicky bunch... and let me warn you, some of those folk are dead shot accurate with a blunderbuss loaded with sweetbreads harvested form the regular rabid raccoon culls conducted to cleanse contaminated countryside of repetitive regional rigor mortis ravaging ridiculous numbers of reticulated rats.

February 26, 2014 8:03:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

...watching for the reticulated rats...in case they need watching...or maybe popcorn...

February 26, 2014 8:18:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

He's one to talk...

February 26, 2014 8:23:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

better lurkers than no one visiting the site at all. why is this such a big deal, does it matter?, does it affect you in any way?, is your life less than it could be because of this? probably no, no and no. Lurkers lurk. Millions of people read newspapers but only a minority write letters to the editor or letters page, are they doing the wrong thing to. I just dont get the issue here. Oh well off i lurk

February 26, 2014 8:30:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
He's one to talk...

yeah... 

February 26, 2014 8:32:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi ho da cheerio a lurkin' I will go.

February 27, 2014 4:10:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

All the threads I've ever started have only accumulated a couple of responses and they were only technical threads relating to Stardock products, that is stuff I've been working on or researching.

Not everyone takes to chit-chatting with people they don't know on the internet easily. Those of us with small children have little time on their hands but you shouldn't see that as an issue with this site, wincustomize has an older user-base compared to other technology communities. That means work and family come first, leaving the retired and empty nesters to communicate more.

February 27, 2014 5:46:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

i am so cool.. so wonderful.. the best ever aussie lurkeOH NO WHAT HAVE I DONE

February 27, 2014 7:28:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Where you been?

February 27, 2014 7:44:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Nimbin,

better lurkers than no one visiting the site at all. why is this such a big deal, does it matter?, does it affect you in any way?, is your life less than it could be because of this? probably no, no and no. Lurkers lurk. Millions of people read newspapers but only a minority write letters to the editor or letters page, are they doing the wrong thing to. I just dont get the issue here. Oh well off i lurk

To be honest, there really isn't an issue here at all.  I was just bored, needed something to occupy myself with while feeling unwell, and saw an opportunity to create something out of nothing when comparing the page views with the responses... and by presenting it the provocative way I did, I hoped to evoke a number of responses with which I could have fun.  Let's just say I'm not disappointed... it has been fun.

February 27, 2014 7:59:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
To be honest, there really isn't an issue here at all.  I was just bored, needed something to occupy myself with while feeling unwell, and saw an opportunity to create something out of nothing when comparing the page views with the responses... and by presenting it the provocative way I did, I hoped to evoke a number of responses with which I could have fun.  Let's just say I'm not disappointed... it has been fun.
 You are the sly one, aren't you Captain!!  

February 27, 2014 9:03:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting TwoWolves,
Not everyone takes to chit-chatting with people they don't know on the internet easily. Those of us with small children have little time on their hands but you shouldn't see that as an issue with this site, wincustomize has an older user-base compared to other technology communities. That means work and family come first, leaving the retired and empty nesters to communicate more.

I understand that people have different priorities and interests, and that not everybody has a need to be heard in the forums, so while I hoped to attract a few responders with the provocative writing style, it was never to make anyone feel obliged to participate if they didn't have time or would rather not.

Thing is, whether anybody else joined in or not, I knew that various regulars would participate, and I thank them for that.

February 27, 2014 9:07:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting teddybearcholla,

Quoting starkers, reply 42To be honest, there really isn't an issue here at all.  I was just bored, needed something to occupy myself with while feeling unwell, and saw an opportunity to create something out of nothing when comparing the page views with the responses... and by presenting it the provocative way I did, I hoped to evoke a number of responses with which I could have fun.  Let's just say I'm not disappointed... it has been fun.  

You are the sly one, aren't you Captain!!  

Absolutely, Barb.... 50% mischievous and 50% sly.

February 27, 2014 9:19:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ans what about the other 50%? Forgot sbout that one......didn't ya.

February 27, 2014 9:23:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,
Ans what about the other 50%? Forgot sbout that one..
 mmm... by my calculations  that would be 150%....over 100% is flim flam! 

February 27, 2014 9:55:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting teddybearcholla,

Quoting Uvah, reply 46Ans what about the other 50%? Forgot sbout that one..  mmm... by my calculations  that would be 150%....over 100% is flim flam! 

Well I'm plenty capable of 100% flim flam.   50% Sly + 50% Mischief = 100% Flim flam.

February 27, 2014 10:39:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting teddybearcholla,
over 100% is flim flam!

egg-zakly

February 27, 2014 11:14:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,
egg-zakly
smile when you say that!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.