Sandisk 128gb microSDXC Memory Card

By on February 24, 2014 11:13:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums External Link

Leo the Lion

Join Date 05/2003
+89

Technology never ceases to amaze me.................

http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/press-room/press-releases/2014/sandisk-introduces-worlds-highest-capacity-microsdxc-memory-card-at-128gb/

It seems like only yesterday that I thought I was the 'dogs bollocks' with a hard drive of 40gb on a Win98SE machine 

19 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 25, 2014 4:35:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It seems like only yesterday that I thought I was the 'dogs bollocks' with a hard drive of 40gb on a Win98SE machine

Or 40meg on an XT and Dos....

February 25, 2014 5:57:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

oh, poor liitle jafo, I remeber thinking that I had a HUGE 720kbyte per disc storage on my trs80 model 1 (the official capacity at the time for floppies was 80kb (35 tracks single sided single density and my drives were 84 track doublesided double density) with three of the drives I could store a WHOPPING 2.1 MB of files.

harpo

February 25, 2014 6:38:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The $200 MSRP price tag is a bit much... I might pick one up when they get considerably cheaper though for my Sanza Clip.  I currently have a 32GB Micro SD card to complement it's 4GB internal storage.  Haven't quite filled the 36 GB with .mp3's yet, but I am getting close...

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 25, 2014 7:04:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting harpo99999,
oh, poor liitle jafo, I remeber thinking that I had a HUGE 720kbyte per disc storage on my trs80 model 1 (the official capacity at the time for floppies was 80kb (35 tracks single sided single density and my drives were 84 track doublesided double density) with three of the drives I could store a WHOPPING 2.1 MB of files.
harpo

OK...my dad's bigger than your dad....

I think the first computer I messed with didn't have a HD or disk of any sort at all.....just a bunch of cards with holes in 'em....

February 25, 2014 7:20:14 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Sadly, I remember punch cards too.

February 25, 2014 9:17:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I remember sitting at a terminal and inputting data to a mainframe and your only feedback was a printout of your processed data on your workstation as it was processed, and yep, punch cards about the same time for me too.

February 25, 2014 4:36:55 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

My wife worked as a keypunch operator at a bank in the late 60's, converting individual checks to punch cards to feed the IBM beast.

Those were the days.

February 25, 2014 4:52:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

jafo, I think I might STILL have some punchcards lying around that my brother used in his uni course, BUT when I purchased my model 1 it only had cassette tape storage, and I eventually upgraded it to the megabyte floppy beast, and even used it for graphical document design (now called desktop publishing) and this was BEFORE the lisa when the electric typewriter was THE document creation tool

harpo

February 26, 2014 1:41:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
February 26, 2014 4:15:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,

If you think 128 GB is big, check this out...

http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Professional-256GB-Memory-LSD256CTBNA600/dp/B0090BEWKY[/quote]

Well that's nothing compared to the 1TB micro SD card I'm gonna put in my tablet....

.... the fact that I'm still waiting for somebody to manufacture one don't mean it ain't gonna happen.

February 26, 2014 8:04:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hehe, yes the Univac 1005 with its key punch cards  was my first.  Damn ye're getting old.

February 26, 2014 8:30:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Dang... pretty soon we won't even needs hard drives if they keep this up. My solid state drives are only 160GB so I wonder when bootable SD cards at 256GB will enter into the PC market. No HDD's, just plug in your SD card to the front of the PC and turn it on, take it with you for security purposes, or lock it away! Would be some nice features for sure!

February 26, 2014 8:42:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

At least Oz managed to keep this one....

It's the only Gen 1 computer [intact] on the planet....

February 26, 2014 10:21:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,

Dang... pretty soon we won't even needs hard drives if they keep this up. My solid state drives are only 160GB so I wonder when bootable SD cards at 256GB will enter into the PC market. No HDD's, just plug in your SD card to the front of the PC and turn it on, take it with you for security purposes, or lock it away! Would be some nice features for sure!

Actually, Tom, though I'm not too sure about 256gb, haven't seen one as yet, but I did see that one of our retailers had 128gb SD cards in stock which were bootable... was in one of our major electrical stores 'junk mail', as I recall. The thing is, technology keeps advancing and cramming more into less.  It wasn't that long ago it was unheard of that SSDs could reach 1TB, but Samsung and others have produced them.  The same with SD cards and Micro SD cards.  A short while ago the largest one could buy was 2gb, 4gb and 8gb... then suddenly 16gb, 32gb and 64gb became the standard.

Quoting Jafo,
At least Oz managed to keep this one....

It's the only Gen 1 computer [intact] on the planet...

Not too sure if it's the same one [model-wise, that is] but Aunty [the ABC for those not familiar with the term] did a story a few years ago about a computer that looked much like the one pictured... was very interesting indeed.  Although it was government owned at the time, various hospitals and universities had access to it for medical and other research.

February 26, 2014 4:33:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
Not too sure if it's the same one [model-wise, that is] but Aunty [the ABC for those not familiar with the term] did a story a few years ago about a computer that looked much like the one pictured... was very interesting indeed. Although it was government owned at the time, various hospitals and universities had access to it for medical and other research.

It's 'CSIRAC'....amongst other things it was the first computer ever to 'say something'....no, not words....just emit a generated sound.....other than the pinking of hot valves...

Last I saw it was at the Melbourne Museum...[I assume it's there permanently]....and outside [it's enclosed] was an IBM XT PC ...exactly like what I once had....[kinda wish I'd kept it...since the Museum had one]...

February 26, 2014 5:24:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
Actually, Tom, though I'm not too sure about 256gb, haven't seen one as yet,

The link to the 256GB one was posted in Reply #9 starkers, and you replied to it in Reply#10....

April 7, 2014 8:07:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

And now this..........WTF????...........128gb of RAM......yep RAM

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9247500/Hynix_reveals_world_s_first_128GB_DDR4_memory_module

April 7, 2014 8:19:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Leo the Lion,

And now this..........WTF????...........128gb of RAM......yep RAM

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9247500/Hynix_reveals_world_s_first_128GB_DDR4_memory_module

Just don't get the one the idiot is holding up in his greasy fingers...

April 7, 2014 8:27:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting Leo the Lion, reply 17 And now this..........WTF????...........128gb of RAM......yep RAMhttp://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9247500/Hynix_reveals_world_s_first_128GB_DDR4_memory_module  

Just don't get the one the idiot is holding up in his greasy fingers...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000204   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.