Letter to Brad - lock the post please

By on February 24, 2014 1:22:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

gmc2

Join Date 11/2003
+273

I'm editing this post because I thought PM's mattered and was unaware that that is not the case. Obviously I PM'ed the wrong person and will now direct my query to Spencer. I am quite frustrated and thought publicly complaining was my only resolve.

Locked Post   |   13 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 24, 2014 2:05:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi gmc2,

I'm not aware of your prior discussion regarding trolling vs disagreeing but, upon reading this post I think you are attributing some things to Brad that aren't his.

Ratings can be sensitive.  It's not the first time I've seen a prominent member take down a top rated work for updating and see it post at the standard 2.5 rating.

It's just a site/moderator choice to give a initial neutral rating and then let membership cast their ratings.  I don't think members/Stardock employess retaliate in their ratings.

You would probably acheive a more satisfactory result by discussing what you are thinking and how you feel about these issues you raise in pm.

Just me observation and opinion here.

Have fun and good luck.

BDBF

February 24, 2014 2:11:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

BDBF, please read the OP again, you're missing a few points.

February 24, 2014 2:24:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting gmc2,
BDBF, please read the OP again, you're missing a few points
  I don't believe he did, as I agree with what he said and I have read it thoroughly twice.  

Brad has nothing to do with ratings...only members and if I recall it is only a certain rank and up. Most likely a silly member, perhaps one that gives one star thinking that he is adding to the ones already there. People do not always think before they click. 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 24, 2014 2:25:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I also missed the thread/issue/whatever over trolling, etc. That aside...

I wouldn't put it past folks to down-rate a skin out of spite. Keep in mind though that if I understand it correctly if 'I' were to vote a skin a 5 I couldn't change it later. If that is true, then the downgrading came from people who had not yet voted. Also keep in mind that (again if I understand the system) a Journeymans vote may carry more weight then an apprentice. (Correct me if I am wrong) So one vote could undo two, as it were.

Finally, and a LOT of people here can verify....as someone who 'personally and publicly' attacked Jafo and what he does here on a daily basis, I can asure you he has better taste, more important things to do, and is way above stooping to sabotage your work, standings, or place in the community. If he has an issue with you, from my own experience, he will contact you privately or in your thread but in such a way that you will KNOW FOR SURE and not in some underhanded on the down low method.

I like your work. You're growing. You have contributed a lot here and can do more. You have a lot to learn, and more to grow. I think everyone here would agree to that. Personally, I think you need to re-assess this thread and your opinion on how things are or aren't playing out. You might find your personal feelings are mucking up your overall view of things.

February 24, 2014 2:31:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think you are the one who is missing more than a few points.  You really don't seem to have any knowledge on how things are moderated or rated on this site by both members and staff.  

I am the one who approves and assigns initial ratings to WB, and I can assure you there is no grand conspiracy on your ratings or anything which is trying to "abuse" you.

I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is because your accusations are a bit out there and not based in any type of fact.  

February 24, 2014 2:33:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting teddybearcholla,
Brad has nothing to do with ratings...only members and if I recall it is only a certain rank and up. Most likely a silly member, perhaps one that gives one star thinking that he is adding to the ones already there. People do not always think before they click. 

People give ratings that members might not all agree upon.  I can tell you for certain that more people up-vote a skin based on friendship, than people do down voting them because of anything else.

February 24, 2014 2:40:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Island Dog,
People give ratings that members might not all agree upon. I can tell you for certain that more people up-vote a skin based on friendship, than people do down voting them because of anything else.

That's a fact.

February 24, 2014 2:50:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I seems pretty clear to me at least that I'm still in the dog house with you and that this disenchantment is reflected by the people that work for you in releasing and rating windowblinds.

You have a fundamental misunderstandings regarding WC Gallery Moderation:

Moderation (i.e. WOM, Hankers, Q, HG_E, ERK, etc.) is not employed by SD.

While it's true that I.D. and Jafo are employed by SD, apart from Master Skins moderated by I.D. alone, and rare skins/walls,etc. moderated by Jafo (yes, those Admins are also Moderators), 99% of the Moderation is done by volunteer Mods with decades (when added together) of experience in skinning, receiving no salary from SD.

Ratings: You should know by now what they're about. To get into a public gallery there has to be an average (skins are moderated by more than one Mod) of 3 stars...not the same stars as user ratings, which I'd wager were influenced by some of your more acerbic comments.

What I.D. wrote is right on.

As for your thought that Jafo would snipe at you through ratings? "I know Jafo. That's nothing like Jafo." He never has and would NEVER do such a thing. Fact: As Po' put it, he (in the remote past) has said and done some "less than optimal" things to Jafo, yet Po' is a Master. He wouldn't have been promoted without Jafo's OK.

Jafo really only in rare and very obvious cases strikes immediately to prevent or stop TOU violations. Usually, he has a word with a member in private, and it's always polite, well reasoned, and rarely forgotten.

February 24, 2014 3:31:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Brad never answered any of my pm's ... and oddly enough, even when he added me to msn instant messenger, he never replied when i said hello or asked to volunteer for stardock windowblinds......

so i wouldnt worry about him not replying too much Greg  xoxoox

February 24, 2014 3:48:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
he has a word with a member in private, and it's always polite, well reasoned, and rarely forgotten.

Yeah... just post a very graphic pic of a Bull having a graphic fecal ejection in a thread in place of just coming out and yelling "Bullshit!!" sometime. That will be sure to bring him out of hiding!!

But seriously man... I would edit that OP as you are REALLLLLLY off base on this assumption. Better to replace it with the above mentioned picture of bull manure and take a spankin for that as opposed to what might develop over your conspiracy theories..

February 24, 2014 4:09:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Vampothika,
Brad never answered any of my pm's

Here is thought he was just being snooty, thanks for the insight, I'll have to rethink that one.

Hi Po, good to see you are still around, hope all is well.

I took this issue to the forums because a PM to Brad didn't deserve a response. I as a member was attempting to smooth the waters over a previous incident when we're told the best way was to PM.

I'll switch this to a PM with Spencer, please lock the post, thanks.

February 24, 2014 4:19:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Island Dog,
I can tell you for certain that more people up-vote a skin based on friendship,

I suspect that I'm a victim? of that...lol.  

February 24, 2014 4:32:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There are infinitely more skins/works on Wincustomize.com WITHOUT a rating from me...than with one.  More often than not I'll not see the submissions unless there's an issue with them.  It's more a time-zone thing than anything else.

Re opinions of works...when someone asks for it [mine] I give it.  If they do not like it then they should NOT have asked.

You can say 'BS' all you like, however loading the skin DID crash Explorer.  I know what an Explorer crash looks like.  As for the avatar use as the wait graphic....your choice but I will cringe seeing it if I were to load one of your WBs.... to the point that I probably won't.

Re ratings.... they are volatile.  It may take months or even years before there are sufficient numbers of them to be a stable 'average' without fluctuation.

And others are quite correct....there is infinitely MORE 'abuse' of the rating privilege by fans/followers/lap-dogs blithely posting 10s.

Re contact/response from Frogboy, he didn't get Stardock to where it is without a lot of running around and being busy....I manage to catch up to/with him a couple of times a year....[and I work here-ish]... 

Re deleting all your skins.....that's usually step one on the road to a ban.  Step two is making a public noise about it.

Island Dog and myself are the 'primary managers' of Wincustomize.com and fortunately for many we're tolerant - to a point....

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000188   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.