Any working Desktop Weather Gadgets for XP ?

By on February 22, 2014 1:10:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

JimDirt

Join Date 05/2013
+1

I used to use adni18's Desktop Weather Gadget , but for whatever reason it no longer works/is discontinued  , i have been temporarily using the Weather Channel Gadget , but it constantly crashes   , i tried to get the Accu Weather Gadget but all i keep getting is some stupid download Zip program that i dont want , that is not the gadget , i cant find a way to just download the gadget 

this is the site and when you click on any of the download links supposedly to the gadget it wants to download/install some toolbar blocker thing and a Zip installer , that i do not want  , all i want is the stupid gadget not all the other invasive crap 

http://accuweather-com-stratus.software.informer.com/

What i am looking for is a small non invasive Desktop Weather Gadget that is small and will sit in the corner of my desktop , not take up the entire desktop to view the weather conditions/forecast , similar to or wishfully thinking like Adni18's gadget , this needs to be for Windows XP

Any help would be appreciated ....Thanks ....Jim

35 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 22, 2014 3:44:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Try Andromeda Weather Gadget   Standalone gadget, no software needed

A great Redneck Creation based on the awesome Andromeda windowblind by vStyler

the data are provided by Weather Underground

and it's working in my XP s.p. 2 !

February 22, 2014 6:05:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Actually, most, if not all of my most recent weather gadgets/widgets work fine for me on Windows Vista, 7 and 8. Dunno about XP. Sorry, I no longer support XP.

February 22, 2014 6:05:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks, Frankell, for the plug....

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 22, 2014 6:15:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
Dunno about XP. Sorry, I no longer support XP.

I run almost everything Jim makes on Win7 and XP.  The weather widgets and gadgets work just fine.

February 22, 2014 6:37:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

February 23, 2014 2:41:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Thanks, Frankell, for the plug....

February 24, 2014 3:36:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well that one works so to speak (no offense to the maker) , but the issue with it is , it does not constantly keep current conditions  , so you have to click "Refresh" all the time which pretty much sucks and takes away what i was looking for  , i want something like Adni18's Weather Gadgets that constantly give the CURRENT conditions at just a glance (i wish he would fix or make those work again) , i sat here all morning thinking it was still 50 degrees F and then i decided to hit refresh and the temp was completely different  , so this one does not serve the purpose i wanted it to   ,are there any others that are like this one and Adni18's that are non obtrusive and dont take over everything , but you dont need to click on something or open up a big tab (Weather Channel gadget) to get current or 5 day or hourly  conditions  ???  

EDIT:

Also , till the end of the month (bandwidth) my internet is like dial up , so i dont want to try to download 20 of these things to see if it does what i want , so one that has my specific needs is only what i am looking for, so i dont have to sit here for a hour or 2 waiting for something to download , and not be what i am looking for .....Thanks....Jim

February 24, 2014 4:25:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JimDirt,
but the issue with it is , it does not constantly keep current conditions

That is a problem I don't experience here. Nor do my testers.....hmmm.

February 24, 2014 4:32:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yea , every time i look at it , its stays at the same temperature  , the only time it updates the current temp is when i click the Refresh arrows on the top right  , is there a way to tell it when to update , like every 5 minutes or something ?? , i looked in Preferences , but it only gives a few options and none of them have to do with the weather itself , just how it looks...also , when i go back into Preferences , i look and i had checked Start With Windows and every time i go back to Preferences , its unchecked , so that is another issue  , also if i try to send it to the Taskbar , it just disappears and i have to go to the Zip folder and redo it , then it says the Shortcut no longer exists then i click OK , then it shows up on the desktop again  , so there are a few issues that i have encountered in just 1 day of use

February 24, 2014 4:51:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

so the last 4 updated Adni18 Weather Gadgets (3 months \2 months\ 15 days ago) are here >

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vt16cpgyrzznser/zu-2zKHMbQ

well all of them are working but I didn't wait to see if they constantly keeps the current conditions but most probably it's what you want !

let me know !

February 24, 2014 5:44:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Last time i went to his site (yesterday ), in the Weather Zip , all that is there is  2 JPG's , no gadget,installer,nothing but 2 JPG's , i can go to any one of his weather gadgets and they are all the same ,  like he deleted them when the site he used went away or whatever it did , and they are still the same , no gadget inside the Zip

I will check out the link you posted  , but there was no mention of it on his site

EDIT:

OK  , these work  , i wish his old ones still worked , but these are ok  , just a little bulky compared to the old ones , but they update the temp , and give a 5 day forecast , so that is basically what i wanted  , thank you !  , you might want to tell him to update his site , since all the weather gadget downloads he has , are only the JPG's , and no EXE in any of them    , and i would not have known about these if you had not posted a link  , Thanks again !!!

February 25, 2014 2:44:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

btw Adni18 had his very good reasons to change the Weather Gadgets download procedure providing his DropBox link (many thanks to Adni18 !!)

I just learned and then followed the instructions found in the JPG file !

February 25, 2014 3:40:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
That is a problem I don't experience here. Nor do my testers.....hmmm.

no problem here either...

February 25, 2014 10:27:48 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting frankell,

btw Adni18 had his very good reasons to change the Weather Gadgets download procedure providing his DropBox link (many thanks to Adni18 !!)

I just learned and then followed the instructions found in the JPG file !

OK i went to his site again  www.adni18.com   (not his Dropbox) just a few minutes ago , and went to one of the Weather Gadgets i had used and liked (Weather F-C) , and clicked on it  , again it only shows 2 JPGs , but i downloaded it , and when i opened it , 1 of the JPG's gave instructions to the Dropbox , but Gadgets like the Weather F-C are not there , just 4 of the gadgets (in the Dropbox) none of which are the "old" gadgets that i liked and used before they quit working , so that is what i was referring to when i said the Gadget was not there  , the older ones with just the JPG in the folder are no longer available , which are more compact then the ones available now  , though the new ones do give the things i wanted like Current Conditions , they are as i mentioned a bit bulkier by about double size 

When you go to the Dropbox and download the "new" gadgets , they have the .exe  and work  , the ones on his site   www.adni18.com do not have the .exe and no longer work  , that is what i meant , because when i saw the JPG's in the folder i never clicked on them till you mentioned that one of them contained instructions on where to go to get the "new" versions of the gadgets , i just knew the .exe was missing and went no further investigating

Sorry for the confusion in my earlier reply

February 25, 2014 12:03:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Some of my real old weather don't work. I'll be weeding those out when I get a chance.

Also, I'll try to replace those with new, working versions.

March 10, 2014 12:29:28 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I am now having a issue with the Adni18 Weather Gadget (one of the new ones from the Dropbox that i downloaded)  , for some reason , every time i try to go to Options  and it does not matter if i right click over the gadget itself , or if i do it from the Icon in the taskbar , a pop up comes up and it says " The item 'adni18_The Weather.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved , so this shortcut will no longer work properly .    Do you want to delete this shortcut *Yes/No* " , now weather i click yes or no , it will then open up the Preferences , the first thing i notice is the checkbox for Run when Windows Starts is not checked , even though i checked it when i set it up  , so what happens is if/when i re-start my PC i have to go to my Download folder and re-install it , this happens with "The Weather" , and/or The Weather Status Gadget , i can't get the Start With Windows to work , this seems to be why it keeps saying the item has been changed , i guess  , its annoying because i like the gadget , but i have to continually re-install it every time i re-start my PC

Any idea's ??

March 11, 2014 7:47:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

So i am the only one having this issue ??

March 11, 2014 9:50:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Are you extracting theses gadgets and putting them somewhere? Gadgets don't "install", they run as a stand alone. Extract, place somewhere, then create a shortcut to it, don't just run it out of a .zip.

March 11, 2014 9:55:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JimDirt,
when i re-start my PC i have to go to my Download folder and re-install it

Don't run it from the zip,

Extract from zip and run from a folder, like Wiz said.

and right click it and choose preferences, tell it to start with Windows, if that's what you want.

March 11, 2014 11:51:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Where does the folder have to be , in Windows main folder  ?? or in My Documents ?? , does it matter ??

March 12, 2014 12:18:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Doesn't matter. Anywhere you want it.

March 12, 2014 12:20:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Mine are in Shared Documents/Stardock/DesktopGadgets on XP

March 12, 2014 8:36:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

OK Thanks  , i made a folder in My Documents , and extracted it there , then clicked the .exe , so hopefully it will launch when Windows restarts next time

March 13, 2014 10:09:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JimDirt,

OK Thanks  , i made a folder in My Documents , and extracted it there , then clicked the .exe , so hopefully it will launch when Windows restarts next time

And don't forget.....

Quoting RedneckDude,
and right click it and choose preferences, tell it to start with Windows, if that's what you want.

Otherwise, it won't start with Windows.

March 15, 2014 12:56:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well , it starts with Windows now , BUT , it wont remember the location , its starts up showing Thessaloniki ,B, Greece , the Location is GRXX0019 and Celsius ,  so why does it not save the location ?? , and why did it not save it when i entered it before ?? , i extracted everything into that one folder  , did i miss something ??

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.