A clever name for a home repair business?

Sugestions wanted.

By on February 18, 2014 8:55:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

JuniorCrooks

Join Date 12/2009
+205

So I have some extra time on my hands and decided to start a home repair business. I know there are a lot of clever and imaginative members here that are great with naming things such as skins so I thought it made sense to ask for your help. Can you think of a clever home repair name. I am trying to avoid something with handyman.

I can't wait to hear what you come up with.   

Locked Post 96 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 19, 2014 2:03:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I would suggest not having the name "crooks" in your logo.

February 19, 2014 2:13:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting teddybearcholla,

Quoting gevansmd, reply 23Slogan:  "We repair what your spouse fixed." Yessssssss!!!! 

Quoting starkers, reply 22Jr. Crooks, House Doctor  Good one! But if it were here in the North, no one likes to go by the name Junior.  Unless the Jr. is NOT short for Junior? 

Correct Barb. In my case my middle name is actually Junior. I normally go by my first name Ken with the exception of being around my family because my fathers name is also Ken. So I could use KJC in the name such as KJC Repair or KJC Repair with Care or one of the other suggestions. I would just like to have something a little more clever. When I had my woodworking shop I used a lot of knotty pine So I named the business The Knotty Woodworker. At the time it was the best I could come up with.

February 19, 2014 2:17:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting WebGizmos,

I would suggest not having the name "crooks" in your logo.

I think I agree with you. It is a negative word that even used with humor would cause some to look elsewhere. 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 19, 2014 5:39:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My advice...be honest in your name. "Home repairs done right!" Get a few jobs under your belt...do a good job...past happy clients are great references.

February 19, 2014 7:16:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting WebGizmos,

My advice...be honest in your name. "Home repairs done right!" Get a few jobs under your belt...do a good job...past happy clients are great references.

Absolutely. This is not my first kick at the can though. I have plenty of jobs under my belt dating back to the 80's and I even have some photos to show my work along with references. The thing is this is my first go at it working for myself 2500 miles away from where people know me. This is not a huge issue except starting out word of mouth will have to come from a long distance call instead of a 5 minute drive to their neighbor for a look.

February 19, 2014 7:32:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Not sure why my first one got blown off....

'Do it wright' ....isn't a typo.  People may need to look up the meaning of 'wright' .....

February 19, 2014 7:43:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Not sure why my first one got blown off....

'Do it wright' ....isn't a typo.  People may need to look up the meaning of 'wright' .....

No Jafo it did not get blown off. In England it would probably fly, in Canada it would be seen as a typo. I want to be busy but explaining the name is not part of the busy I want.

February 19, 2014 8:11:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So you're saying Canada no longer speaks the Queen's English?

Don't forget I'm further away from the Old Dart than you....

So the Frogs won and you're all eating croissants....

February 19, 2014 8:27:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So you're saying Canada no longer speaks the Queen's English?

For the most part yes. Canada does have two official languages which are French and English and our English has changed. It is a time thing. we also did away with the old imperial measurement system when Pierre Trudeau began implementing metrication in Canada in 1970. A lot of us older farts still use a lot of imperial measurements especially in the construction industry.  

February 19, 2014 9:02:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JuniorCrooks,
A lot of us older farts still use a lot of imperial measurements especially in the construction industry.

Ditto....though it wasn't fun working through the transition...

Thing is....'do it wright' works on so many levels.

Yes, it's a pun...but it's also do-it-wright...like cartwright...wainwright...etc.

So...

If you want it done right...you get a do-it-wright ...to do it right.

sigh.

February 19, 2014 9:13:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I would comment here, but you did say clever...... 

Wait....I guess I did, eh?  

February 19, 2014 9:17:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just call it HomeTech. 

February 19, 2014 9:31:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting JuniorCrooks, reply 34A lot of us older farts still use a lot of imperial measurements especially in the construction industry.

Ditto....though it wasn't fun working through the transition...

Thing is....'do it wright' works on so many levels.

Yes, it's a pun...but it's also do-it-wright...like cartwright...wainwright...etc.

So...

If you want it done right...you get a do-it-wright ...to do it right.

sigh.

lol, I like the name Jafo but here is the thing, I live in a new city that has grown fast. In 2006 the population was 28,927, today it is over 50,000. The majority of the residents are between the age of 30 to 50. If I was to use wright instead of right (which I would also not use) these young ones would just not get it. Now if I was doing repairs at senior citizens home the word wright would be understood. Unfortunately this generation has forgot where they came from. They have grown with an education where they have to rely on a calculator to do basic math when giving you change at the checkout line.

It is not much different than me calling a younger person daft. The first thing that would come to their mind would be the French music dual Daft Punk. They would have no idea what daft means.

February 19, 2014 9:35:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

I would comment here, but you did say clever......  

Wait....I guess I did, eh?  

I thought you would suggest something like Redneck Crooks Repair  

February 19, 2014 9:37:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,

Just call it HomeTech. 

That is a good suggestion Tom.

February 19, 2014 9:38:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JuniorCrooks,
They have grown with an education where they have to rely on a calculator to do basic math when giving you change at the checkout line.

Read somewhere that 4 out of 5 young people in the UK cannot read a clock [as in analogue].

Probably a moot point then....why call yourself anything at all....chances are your customer can't read....

February 19, 2014 9:43:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting JuniorCrooks, reply 38 They have grown with an education where they have to rely on a calculator to do basic math when giving you change at the checkout line.

Read somewhere that 4 out of 5 young people in the UK cannot read a clock [as in analogue].

Probably a moot point then....why call yourself anything at all....chances are your customer can't read....

good point. Or maybe I should use pictures, perhaps a house with a big ass hammer hanging on it.

February 20, 2014 12:14:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

That is also true of kids here in Oz... I've met a few of them.  In fact, I have met more kids in most recent years [around 10 or so] who cannot read or write, do math, than any other time in my life.  It's like the education system has lost the plot and strayed away from the basics... and if one or two kids in a class fall behind the others, they tend to fall ever further behind as they receive little or no special attention to help them catch up.  A case in point in my family: Nephew A.s daughter excels in all her subjects and is teacher's pet; Nephew B's daughter is languishing at the back of the class [where the teacher placed her] and learning little to nothing. 

When my nephew and his partner went to meet the teacher to discuss their concerns, she was short and abrupt with them, expressing an attitude that suggested she only cares about the gifted children and those doing well.  In seeing their pleas for help were futile, they then went to the head master, who ordered some remedial teaching for the child.  The girl is now doing better, but that additional help is only two days a week and falls well short of what is required for this lass to leave school with a borderline average education, at best. While niece A will likely go on to university and continue to excel, niece B will likely leave school and be barely employable because she has been neglected by those who have a duty of care to ensure she is educated well, not to be left to languish at the back of the classroom and forgotten about.

Personally, I would move the child to a different school, if only to see if things improve there, and if not, off to another school.  However, nephew B just informed me that you must live within a school's district for your child to be eligible for enrollment, and that the only school district he lives within is the one she already attends.  Well that sucks, niece A has the choice of 4 different schools because their 'districts' slightly overlap.  Makes no feching sense, does it?

Sorry about the rant/hijack... however, the door to the education dilemma was left slightly ajar [post 41] and I just couldn't help myself... I just had to push it open a little farther.

February 20, 2014 4:17:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There is a hairdressers shop near me called "Curl Up & Dye". No use to you, but it does make me smile every time I see it......

February 20, 2014 4:22:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

"Fix It Felix" ( I watch too many kids movies)

February 20, 2014 4:25:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just concepts...

February 20, 2014 11:39:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting BoXXi,

There is a hairdressers shop near me called "Curl Up & Dye". No use to you, but it does make me smile every time I see it......

Now that is a clever name and probably one of a kind. I like it.

February 20, 2014 11:40:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting BoXXi,

"Fix It Felix" ( I watch too many kids movies)

I like this too.

February 20, 2014 11:43:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Just concepts...

Doc those are really good. I think there is something there but my question is are they a little too cartoony to be taken serious? I am not saying they are but that I just don't know. 

February 20, 2014 1:27:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well...you'd want something friendly...perhaps the house/tools and background with a 'flat' type house having a 'smile' on it?

I'll try doing a couple of mock ups...not in a shield design...rather as a panel magnet or letter logo...and a 'friendlier' font.

Better?

If not, let me know what you'd like...for instance...maybe 'Repair' should be larger?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000313   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.