Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

Can ObjectDock launch 64bit apps from a folder yet?

By on February 11, 2014 5:24:29 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Calab

Join Date 03/2003

I have never been able to launch a 64bit application from a folder shortcut in ObjectDock. Is this possible?

Explanation:

I use the 64 bit version of FireFox (named Nightly). It is installed at "C:\Program Files\Nightly\firefox.exe".

I have a shortcut to the executable in a folder named "Internet". The shortcut target is "%ProgramW6432%\Nightly\firefox.exe -p Nightly -no-remote". This shortcut works fine when double-clicked.

I have a shortcut on my ObjectDock to the Internet folder mentioned above. If I try to run Nightly from ObjectDock, the "%ProgramW6432%" is incorrectly converted to "Program Files (x86)", and the program is not found.

More information from Microsoft can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976039

Can a shortcut to a 64bit program be made to work in ObjectDock?

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64bit. ObjectDock is version 2.10.0.811.

13 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 16, 2014 1:34:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

ObjectDock cannot execute programs that are installed in program files in a 64 bit system.. as a fix, i created an app that bypasses this.. the app creates a shortcut to the program you are trying to put on the dock, and will open you program using that shortcut. so you would put the shortcut it creates on your dock instead of the program. 

this has been an issue for a long time!

if you are interested in my app, let me know i will post a download link.. 

April 23, 2014 9:18:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I would be interested in this app as I have 2 programs that will not launch from OD at the moment...

April 24, 2014 8:32:24 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I would be interested in this app as well.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 2, 2014 12:55:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I read on another thread that a possible fix was to type in the location aka "hardcode" the shortcut.

May 2, 2014 9:13:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm running Windows pro 64 bit, and ran into the same problem when trying to add an icon onto the dock. I wanted the "Freecell" icon on the dock but it would always come up a "?" icon. When I right-clicked on "Dock Entry Properties" the link would always show   ---  C:\PROGRAM FILES(x86)\MICROSOFT GAMES\FreeCell\FreeCell.exe   --- . The simple solution is to edit the link and take out the (x86) so it looks like this --- C:\PROGAM FILES\Microsoft Games\FreeCell\FreeCell.exe.  This seems to apply to any program you put on the dock where the files are loaded into the Program Files, not the Program Files(x86).  

I'm running Object Dock Plus v.1.90.033 not the later versions. I like to have my disc drives on my dock so I can open them from the dock. In newer versions the drive icons are just shortcuts to the drives in the computer. Hope this solution helps.

May 2, 2014 11:48:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hmmm, I run Office 2013 64 bit from Object Dock.  All the shortcuts, Word, Excel, etc., are stored in a folder that I access through a stack.

My OS is Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate.

May 2, 2014 1:32:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes - all of your Office .exe files are located in c:\Program Files (x86), or the file where you keep them - not C:\Program Files. I run 4 stacks on my 5 docks and everyone works just fine. 

Let me say this to Stardock Support: I've Had Object Desktop Since 2005, I think all of the programs are great. I think the upgrades in Windows FX are great, Windows Blinds has always been great, etc.,etc, etc., As great as they are I could do without some of them, but the ONE that is ESSENTIAL for my needs is OBJECT DOCK. It takes away all of the useless clutter on the desktop. It is by far the most useful program, everything else is eye candy. So please don't think of it last when it comes to upgrades THINK FIRST.

May 2, 2014 2:30:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

As you can see above, the files are in Program Files, not (x86).

May 2, 2014 4:39:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting gevansmd,

As you can see above, the files are in Program Files, not (x86).
It depends whether you install the 32bit or 64bit version.

Unfortunately, we need to run the 32bit version even though our OS is 64bit. The 64bit version of Office 2013 won't run along side of the 32bit version of Office 2007.

Most of the users posting here are most likely running 32bit software on their 64bit OS.

May 2, 2014 6:40:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes Calab that is correct. I forgot the 64 bit versions are loaded into Program Files.

I run Office 2007 32 bit version also. I put the executable for Word on my desktop, dragged the executable onto the dock and it worked perfectly. In my previous post I mentioned putting FreeCell on the dock that's when I had the problem. But by eliminating the (X86) in the link on the "Dock Entry Properties" the link now works properly.  For your Nightly\firefox icon - right click on the icon and look at the link edit the (x86) if it's there and it should bring up the proper connection. 

May 2, 2014 11:04:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Calab,

Quoting gevansmd, reply 8
As you can see above, the files are in Program Files, not (x86).It depends whether you install the 32bit or 64bit version.

Unfortunately, we need to run the 32bit version even though our OS is 64bit. The 64bit version of Office 2013 won't run along side of the 32bit version of Office 2007.

Most of the users posting here are most likely running 32bit software on their 64bit OS.

I'm running the 64 bit version of Office.

September 28, 2014 1:32:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I solved the problem by using Settings -> Add -> Docklets -> Flyout menu and individually adding app shortcuts in "Custom menu options"

A greeting, Manuel (Colombia)

September 28, 2014 5:42:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

ObjectDock is version 2.10.0.811.

Just a note for you,

Current version  I am running is 2.20.0.850, because it is not part of ObjectDesktop, You have to run the updater inside of the AboutBox of ObjectDock, you will not find it listed in ObjectDesktop Manger. or log-on to your account on www.stardock.com

just for those wondering

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000750   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.