Feedback wanted

By on February 6, 2014 8:28:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums External Link

gmc2

Join Date 11/2003
+274

Hey all, I've uploaded a windowblind entitled "A New Beginning" which I hope is a new beginning for my work. I've never really asked for feedback on my blinds but for once I will.

Technically it is a tight blind but that doesn't go far with personal preferences.

So, if you all would be kind enough to take a look and provide honest feedback about your thoughts, I would appreciate it

10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 6, 2014 8:59:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just applied it and it crashed Explorer ... hang on a bit ....gotta rescue myself....

February 6, 2014 9:11:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The 'loading' graphic is horrible ...some cartoony character ... I saw a lot of it while Explorer crashed.  Lose that asap.

Start panel with just the 4 corners looks more like a skin component didn't load rather than a cohesive design.

Dunno what the crash was about...though Skype got upset 'not responding'.  I'll need to reboot now...because killing/reloading Exploder means you lose 'stuff'...ie. the systray's somewhat emptier than usual.

February 6, 2014 9:33:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Gee!! Are you sure a Windowblinds skin has caused those "effects" ?! 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 6, 2014 9:36:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Dunno what the crash was about...though Skype got upset 'not responding'.

Quoting Gaspershooters,

Agreed...is your flash up to date, Paul?

February 6, 2014 9:37:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Honestly? OK.

I like the newer approach to the start menu. I'd really enjoy seeing that start menu approach reflected in the start button (maybe a square one with a drop shadow?). As for the 4 squares and corners of the start menu itself, perhaps a rounded effect might be easier on the eye?

I think the frames need rethinking...if you wish to have consistency with the start menu...using that same type of drop shadow 3-D effect, which is attractive, and again, rounded corners...worth a thought. The dark border on the circles pulls attention from the start menu, so with rounding the upper outer corners (and at the bottom of the menu, the outer lower corners) those circles could be dispensed with...or replaced with lighter bordered, smaller ones if you feel them necessary to the design...even placed partially under the start menu panels.

As for colors? The user can determine for him/herself.

Overall, I think you're making a good advance.

February 6, 2014 9:47:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Gaspershooters,

Yes.

I have been using WB since before version 1..... not what you might call 'a novice'...

February 6, 2014 10:04:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I agree with Jafo on the loading screen. Nice approach to the Start Menu although the corners look a bit large. I'm running it on XP (yes, I know it's for 7) at the moment and it doesn't look half bad, except for some odd reason, windows can't be moved around. All I get on m/o of a Titlebar or any part of the frame is the resize cursor. Anybody seeing this on a newer OS?

I've run many Win7 only skins on XP and this is the first time I have seen this.

February 6, 2014 10:05:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I agree with Jafo on the SP. The corners are huge which pulls the whole thing over to the right.....which kinda bugs me.

I'm also curious to know whether you draw the skin in it's entirety in your graphics proggy before assembling it. The reason I ask is because your frames look kinda "put together" like a puzzle rather than a cohesive frame. I find that doing a draft of the skin as it would look finished really helps to see how the different elements look next to each other.  

Take for instance the skin I'm currently working on:

February 6, 2014 12:42:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
The 'loading' graphic is horrible ...some cartoony character

I like my avatar (sniff, sniff) maybe the startdock logo would be more appropriate, thanks.

Quoting Jafo,
Dunno what the crash was about...though Skype got upset 'not responding'. I'll need to reboot now...because killing/reloading Exploder means you lose 'stuff'...ie. the systray's somewhat emptier than usual.

Absolutely no idea. It wouldn't be proper to upload a blind that made my system crash.

Quoting DrJBHL,
As for the 4 squares and corners of the start menu itself, perhaps a rounded effect might be easier on the eye?

It started off as a rounded concept but eventually cheap won out. The corners are still huge to accommodate the brads.

Quoting DrJBHL,
I think the frames need rethinking...if you wish to have consistency with the start menu...using that same type of drop shadow 3-D effect, which is attractive, and again, rounded corners..

Good comment, thanks

Quoting 2of3,
I'm also curious to know whether you draw the skin in it's entirety in your graphics proggy before assembling it

Not in how you're showing it (story board fashion). I'll have other elements open when working on something but don't make a mock up as I go along. I'll give it shot, thanks.

February 6, 2014 6:04:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting gmc2,
I like my avatar (sniff, sniff) maybe the startdock logo would be more appropriate, thanks.

Didn't notice it was your avatar...but all the same most people/users won't be aware of it either.  All they'll see is what I did...and it bears no 'other' connection to the Blind...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.