Wondering what folks are doing with their desktops these days?

By on January 29, 2014 12:09:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Philly0381

Join Date 11/2004
+823

With Windows 8 and it's updates community members have probably once again been changing their desktops to suite their needs and desires.  Stardock has provided several programs to help folks get back what most thought were useful functions.  New programs such as Start8, ModernMix, Launch8 and Decor8 along with updates to existing programs have made transitioning to the new OS much easier.

So with taking the above in to consideration I was wondering just how much community members were still into customizing their desktops.  Is it just back to minor tweaking or is there still the desire to have a desktop that carries on with changing the look of everything based upon a theme?

You may wonder why ask such a question. 

The community, it seems, has gone into somewhat of a hibernation (no pun) with skinning or it may be that just folks are waiting.  I now things and interests of computer users change.  So reply and tell us what you are up to with your desktops.

Along this same line I wonder if there would be interest in a Community Skinning Project, haven't been one in awhile. 

It would also be nice to see a Skinning Contest or two.

Here is another question, are Skinning sites still alive and active.  Reply if you have one and what's going on.

Remember folks Stardock provides the programs then the community takes over and shows just what they can do with them.

54 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 29, 2014 12:34:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Win 8's tiles kill the desire for customizing.  

January 29, 2014 12:49:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I still use WB's on Win7 along with DeskScapes and CursorFX.  I run DX once in awhile, along with WFX and Winstep (not a Stardock product, for you new guys) but just the workshelf. I no longer use IconPackager on it due to erratic performance/results.

On 8.1 installed as a dual boot, I  run everything made for Windows8 except Launch 8. I reluctantly installed 8 in the first place just so I could be of assistance to friends, family and anyone else with Windows8 and I figured I'd be more helpful in these forums if I at least ran the Windows 8 apps on it. As a bonus, the Stardock apps keep me from going postal. I must admit though that I rarely boot into 8.1

On XP I use WB's, IP, DS, LogonStudio, SoundPackager, ObjectDock, DesktopX and MyColors. Gotta love XP, if only because everything Stardock still works fine, although I never got brave enough to try BootSkin.

I agree, we need another skinning contest or community theme, perhaps tied to the upcoming WinCustomize 2014 makeover.

January 29, 2014 12:55:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Gaspershooters,
Win 8's tiles kill the desire for customizing.
Not if you go directly to the desktop with Start8. I rarely see the tiles or default start pageas I can access the apps with the Start8 Start Menu.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 29, 2014 1:06:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I am talking about the "minimalistic",the plain/dull design trend you have seen on the UI rather the delicate/glossy at years back. Nevertheless,as 14 years of Stardock fan,I am really grateful Windowblinds is still going and strong.  

January 29, 2014 1:15:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

On 2 of my rigs, I still use all the Stardock stuff that is useable on 8.1.

One a third rig, I run 8.1 naked, just to get the feel of Windows 8.1 in it's native habitat.

Most of my Stardock stuff works fine on 8.1.

I still design DesktopX themes and other skins on 8.1.

January 29, 2014 1:39:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I for one still customize my desktop. Not with just my own windowblinds but also use others as I switch the look. I am mostly on Win 7 but win 8 can be customized just fine using Stardock products. 

I agree it appears to show not as many people are downloading customizing graphics. Saying that I also believe that with win 8 being on everything you purchase now from computers, tablets, etc that this is what people are using and I'm sure most don't even know anything else can change what they are seeing. Also the generation for a few years now have been using phones with nothing but tiles and icons on them. They are use to seeing what they see and very used to it. I don't believe they are even interested in any change from what they see and use as it's all they know. 

Also believe that in the past with Windows they have some awful looking desktops. So people would search around to see if there was something else available. That brought them to Stardock and other programs that would change the look of the desktop. As I mentioned they are now growing up with tiles on all their devices and believe that is the way things have to be. It's a different world now with all that is available and all of it has basically the same looking things on them. There was a time that only one device was available, the computer so lets see what we can change. Now people have several different devices so why change anything as they basically all look the same.

Until it's impossible to customize my desktop I will continue to do so. Just my look on the situation.

January 29, 2014 1:48:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Dave  you  rock! 

January 29, 2014 1:58:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Along this same line I wonder if there would be interest in a Community Skinning Project, haven't been one in awhile. 

Yes, both are on my agenda for this year.

January 29, 2014 2:00:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DaveBax,
Now people have several different devices so why change anything as they basically all look the same.
Next Launcher on Android is Da Bomb!!!

January 29, 2014 2:11:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Island Dog,

That is very good to hear Island Dog. 

January 29, 2014 2:18:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Island Dog,

January 29, 2014 5:13:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I never run a 'naked' desktop... not ever.  MS never got the UI right in any Windows iteration yet, and I doubt they ever will.  Thank heavens for Stardock, because without their customisation tools I would have gone mental years ago.  While MS added something good in Aero Glass, the boring black and white start menu in Vista and Win 7 just wasn't pleasing to the eye after a few days of use, thus Windowblinds became the most essential app on my PC, along with IconPackager, CursorFX and Winstep Xtreme. 

In using these apps with matching skins [eg, Steampunk] I was never bored or displeased with my desktop, and with the great variety of skins, one can change the desktop regularly and experiment with different elements to create many spectacular and interesting themes. So for mine, skins are essential to a more contented and satisfying PC use.

February 3, 2014 11:36:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm not sure that I have the right to be but I'm sad and disappointed.  I must not have gotten the memo.

February 3, 2014 3:25:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
I never run a 'naked' desktop... not ever.

That will be because of your infatuation with Win 8.

There's nothing inherently 'wrong' with 7 ...which is why so many modern WBs are not a hell of a lot dissimilar to the default look.

But 8 is about as appealing as genital warts....

February 3, 2014 4:19:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

mhh hibernation - for me as little skinner its due to exams that have to be written - exams that will more or less influence the life of me and my family in the furture. There is simply no time to be very creative atm. And im a bit sad about it.
But there is always time to customize a desktop
But there is more to it a good example is the fact that iconpackager needs to be finally updated to fully work with windows8 so that i can use my live folders and my iconpackages ( it would be time seriously ) hate it that my Fences will show the old iconpack icons aswell.
My last uploads were icons but for objectdock because why should i make icons and upload them with an iconpackage if its not fully working.

But i admit that since windows8 i became a fan of minimalism a good example was the screenshot of LighStar i think it was called FLAT i drooled all over it would love to have that skin -
I simply can concentrate much more on my work with a minimal skin and still have a decent good look on my screen with widgets and fences.
I even switch to the default theme once in a while   ...But mainly i keep jumping from Echo to Arsenic Solid State while MECHOS is dominating.

Was using Decor8 on 8.0 sadly had problems on 8.1 with it and could switch my color settings ( they always jumped back to black) i think/guess there wasnt a update yet for it i havent tested it there might be.

Still for me ModernMix is the best APP for windows8 

February 3, 2014 4:35:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Dusting it!

February 3, 2014 5:23:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting starkers, reply 13I never run a 'naked' desktop... not ever.

That will be because of your infatuation with Win 8.

There's nothing inherently 'wrong' with 7 ...which is why so many modern WBs are not a hell of a lot dissimilar to the default look.

Bastards!!!  I was replying in some detail to this post when a phony java update hijacked my browser [Waterfox, a x64 version of Firefox] and closed the page.  Naturally, I lost all I had written, and so I'm pissed off I'll cut it short.

In a nutshell, I am not infatuated with Win 8.  I do like it, however, because hands down it is the best OS I've used, for several reasons. So, I don't give a tinker's cuss who is still kicking and screaming about it.  It suits my needs and that's all I give a toss about

February 3, 2014 6:38:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well I tried, unfortunately a discussion about desktop customization does not seem to be relevant in the one place I thought it would. 

February 3, 2014 6:41:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
Bastards!!! I was replying in some detail to this post when a phony java update hijacked my browser [Waterfox, a x64 version of Firefox] and closed the page. Naturally, I lost all I had written,

That'll be Windows 8 again...

I'm not actually 'kicking and screaming' about 8 .... but you can guarantee there are quite a few at MS who are.  Whether you like it or not, the 'results' of the Win 8 release match quite well the performance of the English cricket team this summer.....down the gurgler...and likewise there are people throwing themselves on their swords.....or being pushed....

Re what I'm doing with my desktop .... I mostly leave it 'naked' [because it's 7 and the least repugnant OS] as 'skinning' tends to take a back seat when you're dealing with all the other skinners' dramas and woes.  It's been about 2 or 3 months since I skinned a plane for FSX, even...

February 3, 2014 7:29:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Quoting starkers,
reply 18
Bastards!!! I was replying in some detail to this post when a phony java update hijacked my browser [Waterfox, a x64 version of Firefox] and closed the page. Naturally, I lost all I had written,

That'll be Windows 8 again..

No, it was some lousy, rotten lowlife skank bastards who, had I accepted it, would have stolen data and performed nefarious actions on my rig.  My mother got caught by it about 3 months back, because it looks all official and genuine, and the best way for me to remedy the issue for her was to purge her machine and do a complete rewrite of Windows.  There was no way of getting rid of it conventionally because it disabled System Restore, Safe Mode and Acronis. 

It was hooked into the Registry in dozens of places, and I no sooner deleted/disabled an entry, it would self-replicate and write several more. She wanted to replace the HDD with a SSD anyway, so what I did was disconnect the OS drive, slip in the SSD and performed a total clean install.  I then put the old drive in my XP box, and being there were no registry entries, etc, I wiped it clean and set it up for a storage drive.

Had I not known what happened to my mother I may well have been duped also, but there's a giveaway that confirms it's phony... in properties it states the publisher isn't Sun Microsystems, so that's when you reject the 'update' and block the site, which I read is in Russia somewhere.

Chemical castration is too good for them... when a butter knife 'll get the job done for a fraction of the price.

As for skinning my Win 8.1 setup, I'm using Karen's Steampunk WB, the matching Winstep theme, a gear CFX and British Library/Steampunk icons I got from devart, with an appropriate wallpaper depicting a crowd boarding a steam train.  If I get my lazy arse into gear later I might post a screenie to show it off.

BTW, the mowing didn't and won't get done today... maybe not tomorrow, either.  Went to bed but tossed and turned the whole time, and I hurt like a bitch all over /am worse for wear.  There's always Thursday, Friday... and it ain't going anywhere unless somebody's goats escape their paddock.

February 3, 2014 8:55:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
I never run a 'naked' desktop... not ever.

v will be unhappy to hear that...     

February 3, 2014 9:14:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Philly0381,

Well I tried, unfortunately a discussion about desktop customization does not seem to be relevant in the one place I thought it would. 

Awww, I was just messing a little John, something I rarely do. But my desktop PC runs CursorFX, IconPackager, ObjectDock v1.9 and Windowblinds, that's it. Don't find anything else really useful because I am constantly designing skins. This is on Windows 7 though, on Windows 8 I have the same stuff and of course Start 8.

February 3, 2014 11:03:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

You can scratch mine!

February 4, 2014 6:35:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

On Win7 I run Iconpackager, Windowblinds, Objectdock, Dreams (but only once in a while cause it sends my cpu into a tizzy) Don't do Fences because I like a clean screen without all that stuff muckin' it up. I also use Rainledar, Rainmeter and SMX although the last two aren't strictly SD. All in all i'm a happy camper.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.