The Cloud... are YOU worried ?

I know I don´t like it !

By on January 26, 2014 6:58:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

neone6

Join Date 12/2010
+413

While I´m at it.

"The Cloud" -The new technology that "Sucks up" all the info that it can and that  isn´t especially blocked ( so they say at least ), and stores it for whatever purpouses it might have.

Are You / Should We worry ??

There was something called "SkyNet" in the Terminator movies. -Yes that´s Science Fiction, but could something similar be the future

63 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 26, 2014 7:41:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Why is a windows8 logo in that picture?  Cloud computing/storage isn’t bound to windows only.
You can disable clouding/SkyDrive (storage) and some folks don’t even use it need it.
But before we go into detail it would be wise to actually look up and understand and know how the cloud works.

If you choose to store Data on a server that you don’t know- that includes location laws and Eula then its obvious that  you should read up on the topic a bit more?
However if you know the Network, or the server and you can use it to have access to your data from wherever you can expand/extend your computing power instantly without investing intop D-servers-  it’s a definitely a big bonus.
However if you have a company and you store data (important Data) on a unknown cloud be careful since that data can be sold and stored in other country’s with different laws. 
Like every other thing in reality and VR nothing is unbreakable so your data can be safe but has a chance to be stolen n sold.

To the part of Skynet: I wouldn´t be worried about the cloud.
In our modern time there is no big need to steal personal information you only have to check social media + there is NSA.
Cameras everywhere around you, online buying history Banking details and more that are that get stored on a daily basis.
Basically everyone is an open book, phones with GPS could possibly track your location, contacts read out of it, + those of friends could be monitored as well, the amount of money you have gained and spent for things everything even what programs or movies you watch.
So should I be worried about the cloud?

January 26, 2014 8:03:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

A easy to understand video for cloud/computing

January 26, 2014 8:17:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yay! Thanx for starting off the discussion Rollocollor

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 26, 2014 8:49:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Cloud computing is one thing, big data is another. Companies like Google collect (supposedly) anonymous data (likes, dislikes, clicks to various sites) build profiles and sell that data.

This is something else altogether: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/33577/darpa-wants-you-to-build-skynet-offers-2-million-prize/index.html

January 26, 2014 9:04:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes, but they all SAY alot don´t they... The tech is there and my experience with life in general is -If it can be abused it already Is being abused.

January 26, 2014 9:23:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Not worried about it here at all, I don't use any cloud storage and never will.

January 26, 2014 9:33:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,

Not worried about it here at all, I don't use any cloud storage and never will.
Yeah, same here, but that´s the thing, I don´t think that matters if the Cloud-tech is being abused...

January 26, 2014 9:34:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think Cloud storage is ok...depending on the TOU (property rights). What one should never use Cloud storage for is personal and financial information. That should be stored locally with a backup in an off premises, fire proof safe.

January 26, 2014 9:41:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

On a non connected HD in a fireproof safe....Sounds good.... unless it was "Uploaded" first

January 26, 2014 10:00:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

This is something else altogether: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/33577/darpa-wants-you-to-build-skynet-offers-2-million-prize/index.html

The offer or the prize money is pretty small tho
I cant imagine a blackhat selling defense/software for 2 million prize money to the state. seriously/ thats like offering IBM a chocolate Bar for their company.

Quoting DrJBHL,

I think Cloud storage is ok...depending on the TOU (property rights). What one should never use Cloud storage for is personal and financial information. That should be stored locally with a backup in an off premises, fire proof safe.

Absolutely agree: If you do so you could also just go and facebook your cc info  

January 26, 2014 1:06:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I use some cloud storage, but never for anything sensitive. Skins, walls, etc. Nothing I am worried about. 

January 26, 2014 1:08:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm not currently worried about the Cloud because I don't use it... however, it does concern me that some software companies have been gearing towards consumers accessing their apps from the Cloud, and that one day we may be forced into accessing all our software that way.  It would be so much cheaper for Adobe and other major developers to deliver their products this way because it does away with hard copies and brick and mortar points of sale.

And do they pass on those savings to consumers?  Of course not!  There 'll be some reason given as to why they should keep those savings and consumers will continue to pay through the nose for over-inflated software.  Fortunately, there are some software companies [usually the smaller ones] who price their products reasonably, and I generally stick with those anyhow.

January 26, 2014 4:41:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You´re all missing the point. 

-I doesen´t matter if you "Use" it or not if the tech is being abused

All your Info might already be in the Cloud as far as tech goes.

January 26, 2014 11:32:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting neone6,

You´re all missing the point. 

-I doesen´t matter if you "Use" it or not if the tech is being abused

All your Info might already be in the Cloud as far as tech goes.

Then we're all f**ked already, then.

Sadly, if there is a way to abuse something, some asshole[s] will always find a way to exploit it to the max.

Could be that some abuser[s] came up with the idea of the Cloud so they know everything about everybody.

Just think, no more tax evasion; no more false alibis; no more milkmen sneaking in as hubby steps out; no more secret 'self-pleasuring' while watching internet pr0n... no more hidden Swiss bank accounts... NO MORE 'Flipping the Bird' behind politicians backs.

Like I said, we're likely already copulated; fornicated; shagged; baloney-ponied; horizontally danced; coitalized.... er... f**ked.

January 27, 2014 3:27:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
Then we're all f**ked already, then.
That´s why I made this post... Have you even read my headline and following text ?

"The Cloud" -The new technology that "Sucks up" all the info that it can and that isn´t especially blocked ( so they say at least ), and stores it for whatever purpouses it might have.

Are You / Should We worry ??

January 27, 2014 3:52:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting neone6,
That´s why I made this post... Have you even read my headline and following text ?

Yes, and I agree with you, abuse of the Cloud will lead to all sorts of improprieties, including identity theft; character assassinations; mass fraud; invasions of privacy; back-stabbing; bitch fighting and just about anyother kind of corruption across the board.

I just don't know what I can do about it, other than not using it and hoping millions will follow suit so it become unviable.  Thing is, if I worry about every little thing that might or might not happen to me, I'll have little enjoyment in a life that already is compromised by ill health and other personal issues.

The one thing I do have left is the ability to have a bit of silly fun and laughter, thus my silliness in various threads, and that's something I don't want to lose because I'm stressed about 'Cloud' abuse... people snooping in my Playboy centrefold folder to see what I fancy.  About the only time that would have any impact is if they [whoever that is] can match my fantasies with a real life lass and send her to me pronto.

January 27, 2014 4:06:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
is if they [whoever that is]
Illuminati

January 27, 2014 11:41:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting neone6,

Quoting starkers, reply 16is if they [whoever that is]Illuminati

January 27, 2014 11:58:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,

Quoting neone6, reply 17

Quoting starkers, reply 16is if they [whoever that is]Illuminati

I´m ded sirius !

January 27, 2014 12:31:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well, no one seems worried so that´s good (or bad ?) for you I guess, but my paranoia tells me that it´s not that simple as to just "Not use" or turning "services" off

January 27, 2014 1:12:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There's too many variables here.  Cloud storage, cloud services, cloud etc.

I'll take the advantages of it over the disadvantages.  I can access my data from any device, wherever I'm at.  Don't have to worry about local storage options, or having a way to get to that data if needed.

Like it or not, that's the way the future computing will be.

January 27, 2014 2:14:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting neone6,
ell, no one seems worried so that´s good (or bad ?) for you I guess, but my paranoia tells me that it´s not that simple as to just "Not use" or turning "services" off

it’s not bad to be paranoid in fact it’s always better to be than not to
That increases interest about the subject and you are more likely to read into the topic and get educated about the fine printed stuff.
I would even say that keeping your pc and your personal information safe requires a little paranoia
But you should be aware that there is much more “live” in other tools to be found than in the fluffylittlecloud

January 27, 2014 4:40:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting benmanns,
fluffylittlecloud
Lol

January 27, 2014 4:49:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

As with any cloud, its existence doesn't bother me. It is what may fall out of it, where and how much of it that concerns me.

January 28, 2014 2:32:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Island Dog,
I'll take the advantages of it over the disadvantages. I can access my data from any device, wherever I'm at.

That's just it!  If you can access 'your' data from the Cloud, so can others.  Okay, you can say that you don't put any sensitive/personal data there, but what if the people who chose to abuse the Cloud can access the uploading PC from the Cloud... and that PC holds sensitive/personal information? 

It's all well and good to say that's not possible, but not all that long ago it was thought accessing PCs remotely wasn't possible.  Thing is, some bright spark came up with a way... and now that system is abused by multitudes of proliferators of malware. 

I'm not saying the technology is bad.  In fact it is brilliant, but like all things good, there are those who will abuse it to their own ends and turn it into something you need to be cautious of.

After losing a drive with photos, documents and skin backups, I have considered Cloud storage as an extra backup source, it's just that I've been otherwise occupied and haven't really looked into it properly as yet.... whether or not I trust it.  By that I mean whether my data is safe from loss or corruption.  If local storage drives can die or become unviable, then what about those data banks of the Cloud?  Are they sufficiently backed up or does the system fail if a major part fails bigtime?

These are questions I need to answer before I upload anything... and then there are the concerns of data and identity theft.  While that's possible down here on Terra Firma, does placing data on the cloud open more avenues to my personal stuff?  Like somebody once said to me, the greater your electronic/digital footprint becomes the more susceptible you are to digitally bad things happening.

I agree with neone6 and benmanns, it pays to be a little paranoid, otherwise you become too accepting and trusting of things, and that could lead to undesirable consequences if one is not vigilant. True, not all things are bad/going to bite you in the bum, but maintaining some paranoia might just keep out the one heading your way that is.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000969   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.