I'm done with Fences

By on January 25, 2014 6:42:46 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

info1790

Join Date 12/2013

Hi

After using it for one month with Windows 8.1 I finally decided to uninstall it.

Reason 1: From time to time, some icons simply dissapear
Reason 2: Whenever some game launch in non native screen resolution, few icons are "kicked out" from fence window.
Which was forcing me to re-adding em in appropriate fence non stop

Than I uninstalled Fences and now 70% of icons are blank and I need to re-set em again.

So I reverted back to trusty Iconoid (Like I had in in Win 7) and now my icons are secured again against occasional auto re-positioning by desktop "hiccups"

Fences - bye bye

Regards

21 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 25, 2014 8:40:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Same problem, almost at the same time. 1-25-14 7:40AM The file icons in my portals are missing while icons in my non-portal fences are not.  Fence snapshots show these are missing too, although the problem just arose today. See the post "I'm done with Fences" posted 1/25/14 6:42AM today. (he is info1790) I have the same problem. He is also using windows 8. Your portals don't work.  While your at it, my short-cut keys don't work on portals.  Could you fix that too? ...........but I just now noted that one portal appears to be working and it is the only one whose path is C:\Users\Brett\Desktop\Billing Portal and C:\Users\Brett\Desktop\0 Client Files\I\IRS Portal:.  None of the "open folder" on your command list in the portal works.   These don't work:    C:\Users\Brett\Desktop\0 Client Files (here the "0" isn't shown but the text is);   ...I have other portals but hunting down their path is too time consuming.....your portals don't work...., going back to the regular fences......  but I think I'll do what info 1790 did, because the fences are automatically shuffled from time to time............uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't fix the problem

January 25, 2014 11:04:25 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

....restoring the system to an earlier time doesn't work and shows more problems.  Some of the portal was partly restored, but not all!! ..Some portals were not restored at all and none of the portals had all the icons restored.......program is too unstable and certainly don't use beyond XP

January 25, 2014 11:17:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

So far from purchased "Object Desktop Manager" pack I'm using only Start8, ModernMix and "IconPackager 5"

Ironically I don't actually use IconPackager 5, but it must remain installed, because when today I uninstalled it,
70% of my desktop shortcuts lost icons, and ALL exe file lost icons.
I uninstalled it at 1st place because all icons changed by it would eventually loose its customization. LOL!

Today on forums I've found an official advice to NOT uninstall it because it would damage some system settings. OMG!

Hopefully, when I reinstalled it back and clicked Repair/Restore in app settings my icons and EXE files icons returned to normal.

Whatta joyful experience.

Anyway, Fences is history and Ill continue to use Start8 untill something better, maybe official pops up
after that it will be Bye Bye Start 8 as well.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 27, 2014 12:10:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

IconPackager 5 is fine,there is one way to restore all of icons to default. And your perceptions are wrongfully given. 

January 27, 2014 1:47:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have Fences installed on Win 8.1 x64 and do not have these issues with resolution changes or icons "falling out"... unless of course Explorer needs to restart.  I do notice my icons are briefly on the desktop when Explorer restarts, but they are automatically replaced in Fences when the process is complete.

Other than that, which I think is normal, Fences behaves as it should and manages my icons as I want them arranged.  I don't know why you poeople are experiencing issues, but I do suggest contacting support with your system specs and as much detailed information regarding the issue as you can.

And please be patient!  Unlike Microsoft or Adobe, Stardock is a small company and doesn't have hundreds of support staff on hand 24/7They WILL get to you as soon as is humanly possible

Quoting info1790,
Ill continue to use Start8 untill something better, maybe official pops up
after that it will be Bye Bye Start 8 as well.

There are other start button replacement programs... I tried a couple before Start8 was released, and honestly, Start8 is superior to those I and family members have tried.  The one released by IOBit is close but is still lacking... is not skinnable and not as customisable..

As for Iconpackager 5, it is stable and works well with Win 8/8.1, both 32 and 64 bit.  Yes, it hooks into system settings to allow it to change the system icons all at once, but it is uninstallable if done correctly.... note, the system's icons must be restored to default prior to uninstalling IP, and resetting the icon cache prior to would also help.

January 27, 2014 9:34:28 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

For anyone having issues, please download and run the following utility:

http://sd.stardock.com/SDSupportTool.exe

This is a tool that we use to gather relevant log files and basic information about your computer. Once the utility finishes running, please send the .zip file it creates on the desktop to support@stardock.com

Thank you.

July 22, 2014 4:19:44 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Would love to use it, and I tried it.  But, it locks up on me.  Doesn't get past the GENERATE LOG window.

Has this tool been debugged?

Thanks,

David Fullerton

July 22, 2014 8:30:19 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I know this might seem painfully obvious if you have done it, but you did click the 'Generate Log' button right?

July 23, 2014 9:20:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Of course, I did, but good suggestion.  It just locked up.  

August 19, 2014 12:32:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Does support ever actually check their email inbox? I am having issues with activating Fences 2 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64. So far three emails sent, not a single reply. This software was good but if it's not longer going to work then I want my money back.

August 19, 2014 12:38:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What is your ticket #?

August 19, 2014 5:52:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Where would I find that? I didn't note it down after I merged the three emails I had already sent and used the form.

August 19, 2014 5:59:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You should have received an automated email from Stardock support with your ticket number after you sent the first email to support.

If you did not receive the email then check your spam folder.

Support tickets are responded to on a first come first served basis. In order to keep your position in the support queue do not send another email until hearing from a support tech.

August 19, 2014 9:19:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I didn't receive a single email and they are definitely not in my spam folder :-/

August 20, 2014 1:31:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

oxyg3n27934 ... the email addy is support@stardock.com  and as they are a bricks and mortar Office the hours do not [normally] include weekends, US - time.

If you have not received a response within a few days [weekends permitting] then the email did not get through.  If you did NOT receive the automated response with the ticket number then it will be an issue with your email server and/or your spam settings.

The last support response to this particular thread was #8 .....July 22.

You will need to send a new email [ONE-ONLY] to support in order to have a quotable ticket, however response times will start again from the time of that last email.

August 20, 2014 7:21:57 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ok, I replied too soon - this time an email did come through. Ticket number: SMM-507-41555

August 20, 2014 7:30:24 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

August 20, 2014 8:25:25 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

My apologies for all the trouble. We discovered yesterday that anyone with a Microsoft related email (Hotmail, Live, Outlook) could not get any mail from us as we were being filtered by Microsoft. This looks to be resolved now as I am now seeing all of your tickets come in. I have merged them and sent you a reply.

August 20, 2014 8:36:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Good old Microsoft....

August 20, 2014 8:36:53 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks for your prompt reply. I will install the version you sent me and let me know if that fixes things. Would be great to have this software up and running again.

Kudos to you!

August 23, 2014 5:17:04 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The "disappearing items" problem most likely is what we discuss over here in this thread "http://forums.stardock.com/454417/page/1/#3488962" since when someone is not aware of this problem, it looks like they disappear just automagically. This is not fixed as of version 2.13.

For the other problem the different restoration options normally do work for this. However, it is somewhat hard to find out which one does what exactly and which works best in what case. They can be found at the settings under "Layout and Snapping" and then "Layout auto-adjustments". Yet, even when you found the right one the often work not as expected for an unknown reason. Especially with multi-monitor-setups this can be a problem.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000718   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.