Bad boys buying Chrome Extensions to put 'nasties' in your browser...........

By on January 20, 2014 1:18:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Leo the Lion

Join Date 05/2003
+89
11 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 20, 2014 3:19:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks for the info. Every other computer in the house uses Chrome. Hope they get it fixed soon.

January 20, 2014 6:12:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So at this point removing all extensions used until the problem is solved, sounds like a good idea.

January 20, 2014 7:01:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Not sure using Chrome at all is a good idea until the problem is solved. I check my computer once a week...and no baddies (signature based).

Going heuristic might be a solution. 

By the way, if they're doing this to Chrome, who says the rest are safe? 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 20, 2014 7:23:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
...I had the same thought

January 20, 2014 7:33:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yep, as I've always said.. the more popularity something gains the more it becomes a target. So sad.

January 20, 2014 10:30:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Not sure using Chrome at all is a good idea until the problem is solved. I check my computer once a week...and no baddies (signature based).

Going heuristic might be a solution. 

Doc...........most AV/malware software will not detect this sort of stuff.........

Google seem to be gaining ground quickly..............http://www.neowin.net/news/google-bans-chrome-extensions-for-serving-rogue-ads

January 20, 2014 4:39:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They say that if you think someone is out to get you, you are probably paranoid.  Perhaps we are just a wee bit paranoid about all this web stuff? 

January 20, 2014 4:46:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,

They say that if you think someone is out to get you, you are probably paranoid.  Perhaps we are just a wee bit paranoid about all this web stuff? 

All the stuff you see happening on the internet concerning the stealing of personal information used to take place by looking in the trash or going through peoples mailboxes.  Remember when you used to worry about the carbon paper when you did credit card transactions?  Nothing really new just a different way of getting it.   

January 20, 2014 11:54:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Who in their right mind uses Chrome, anyhow???

Not saying anyone here is mad or anything, but my confidence in fellow members' sanity has been shaken .... just a little bit.

Not to worry, though!  If we all keep taking our meds everything should be alright.

Anyway, BoT.... and Chrome!  I'd be just as worried that Google was harvesting my information to its own ends, so this threat means I'm doubly justified in not following the herd to it.  Not saying any of you are sheep or anything... but it's ....

... and we could always use the wool.

January 21, 2014 12:42:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

These sort of sneaky tactics may not be confined to Google Chrome, as pointed out by various experts, when you read more on this subject matter from around the net..........FF, Pale Moon etc could well all be in the firing line too........with their extensions/add-ons...............IE seems like the best bet from a Security point of view. As I mentioned in another thread, I like IE11.........if it could render its fonts properly and if it was compatible with all websites.......which it certainly isn't as yet.  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.