Strange and suprising things

By on January 14, 2014 12:34:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

GeomanNL

Join Date 05/2013
+5

I've found this strange and suprising page:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/171660-1-megawatt-cold-fusion-power-plant-now-available-yours-for-just-1-5-million

I thought cold fusion was long dead, but apparently it is not and someone actually tries to sell a cold-fusion power plant. Good luck to him finding any buyers.

And this, the next step in the search for alien life: long-infra-red.

http://www.livescience.com/42540-how-to-search-for-alien-civilizations.html

Not only do they want to search for Dyson spheres around stars, but even around entire galaxies, because those are "easier to find". Good luck to them finding such a Dyson sphere.

55 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 14, 2014 12:49:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Apparently, honey bees won't poop inside their hives. So sometimes during winter they will have what is called a "cleansing flight" where they all go outside the hive and poop together. This occurs on particularly warm winter days, since they would freeze to death otherwise (and some still might).

January 14, 2014 2:28:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Not only do they want to search for Dyson spheres around stars, but even around entire galaxies, because those are "easier to find". Good luck to them finding such a Dyson sphere.

Well...they would be easier to see, especially one that encircles a galaxy. Best polish up Hubble. Maybe do another deep field survey or somethin'. Lol

January 14, 2014 2:33:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nah, that'll never work.  Stealth techs are mandatory precursors to Dyson techs.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 14, 2014 2:44:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Then they'd better get on the ball. We might miss somethin'. Lol

January 14, 2014 3:30:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
Apparently, honey bees won't poop inside their hives. So sometimes during winter they will have what is called a "cleansing flight" where they all go outside the hive and poop together. This occurs on particularly warm winter days, since they would freeze to death otherwise (and some still might).

That's really kool, I didn't know that!  Something new I can tell my granddaughter!    But I'm wondering what that has to do with cold fusion and Dyson spheres? 

January 14, 2014 3:49:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

They are all strange and surprising things!

January 14, 2014 3:54:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

And this, the next step in the search for alien life: long-infra-red.

For mine, they'd be better off searching for intelligent life here on Earth.

Although we're supposedly civilized and at the top of the food chain for IQ/intelligence, I think mankind has regressed since Adam and Eve were naked in the Garden of Eden.  As the story goes, they covered themselve once they had lost their innocence, so their being naked and not naked is relevant to the devolution of mankind.  Now there's a misnomer... mankind.  To a great extent, man is far from kind.

Since then, when Adam and Eve felt the need to cover their rude bits, thus losing their innocence, mankind has become the most violent, corrupt and destructive species on the planet.  That suggests to me there is very little use of the intelligence God gave us, or a complete lack thereof.

As for rude bits, well they wouldn't be rude if Eve hadn't chomped into that Apple and conned Adam into chomping down on it as well. Thanks to that we have fashionistas making huge amounts of money for designing the better fig leaf... and millions of young lasses worldwide suffering either with bulemia or anorexia or both because the fashionistas created unrealistic expectations.

Frankly, I'd prefer the pre-apple era, myself. Not only would the fashionistas not be getting rich off promoting extremely skinny models, I wouldn't have to imagine what Kat Denning's puppies really look like... she'd be frickin' naked. 

Hmmm, a horrible thought just occurred to me.  I wouldn't want to see my ex naked, among others, so those who fall into that category... those "bugger that, I gotta turn the other way" types, should eat the damned apple.

Okay, so what has all this got to do with discovering Dyson Spheres/detecting alien lifeforms?  Plenty!  Even if we did discover there was Aliens in this or that galaxy, they're not going to want anything to do with us until mankind gets out of short britches and grows up.

Oh, and another thing, mankind needs to abolish bankers.  While we've got those evil parasites [read profiteering bastards] sucking the life out of us, no self-respecting alien is going to allow contact whatsoever.  Come to think of it, which I do, that should probably include lawyers, politicians and car salesmen.

So, before NASA or whoever gets serious about seeking and contacting alien life, we need to do some housekeeping, right?

January 14, 2014 4:05:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

Yep. Please post some more, stories like that about the honeybees make me laugh

This one is also strange, it's not funny but I think it is also pretty amazing.

http://www.livescience.com/23564-phytoplankton-predators.html

It's about an algae that swims away from its predators... I think that's pretty smart for a single celled organism, and it's a plant no less, a plant with a swimming certificate ...

January 14, 2014 5:04:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
They will never find any dyson spheres... because we are inside one, and the heavens and stars and galaxies we see are holographic projections embedded in the interior of the dyson sphere. The holograms are so advanced that they give readings of dark matters, red shift doplar affects, and other features making it impossible for observers to detect any differences. There is nothing else outside our dyson sphere. Does this really require proof? You can't disprove it.
January 14, 2014 6:09:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
 You're right! 

January 14, 2014 6:49:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Here's one... strange if not surprising.

I didn't believe it at first, but a workmate once told me that to get rid of warts you spit on them first thing when you wake up in the morning.  Your saliva is supposedly more potent at this time and contains enzymes that dissolve warts over 3 to 4 days, sometimes longer, depending on its age and size.  Anyhow, I had one one the back of my left hand that occasionally got knocked at work and bled... hence the advice, which I successfully tried.  After 5 days the wart had gone and hasn't returned since, which it had previously using various ointments, etc.

Another one....

If you get blisters on your hands from doing manual work you're not accustomed to, such as pick and shovel work, you pee on your hands a couple of times.  Apparently the ammonia and salts in the urine toughen/harden the skin against further blisters while helping to heal the ones you've got.

Also, soak your socks in cold black tea and let them dry prior to wearing to prevent foot odour.

January 14, 2014 7:23:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

They all sound promising, Captain!!  And tis good to see you! 

January 14, 2014 9:58:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
soak your socks in cold black tea and let them dry prior to wearing to prevent foot odour.
Maybe so, but it will sure make your tea taste funny. 

I knew space was full of vacuums, but  I had no idea they were Dysons. With so much suction, that explains those black holes.

January 14, 2014 10:00:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Soak your feet in warm water with powdered alum in it once a week for a month and your foot odor is gone for life. I did this, had to, my feet were terrible.

January 14, 2014 10:44:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
my feet were terrible.

Yup, talk about pungently potent.  Word has it there were Vancouverites who complained about them... despite using scented nose plugs to diminish their olfactory senses.

Seriously, the absolute worst foot odour I ever encountered was from Shaunna's daughter, Bianca's worst half.  They came up from Tassie to visit and we sort of wish they... well that he hadn't.  He took off his shoes when they arrived and honestly, I was almost dry reaching, his feet were that bad.  Worse still, the stench hung around for 3 days after they left to go back the following day because his grandmother died.  No joke, 3 frickin' days.  My mother, who was living with us at the time, went to stay with my sister until it has dissipated.

Me, I don't have the problem. I could wear the same pair of socks every day for a week and they'd smell like roses.  Well maybe not roses, but, truly, you could put them under your nose and not feel ill.  My dad was the same, his feet did not produce that pungent cheese-like odour that so many other suffer with.

January 14, 2014 11:00:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Mark, the thread IS about strange and suprising things, and while I fully expected you to make an appearance, it doesn't mean this thread is all about you.

January 15, 2014 4:19:27 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

We got a strange and surprising thing right here in Pa. 

http://www.davidhanauer.com/buckscounty/ringingrocks/

When I first heard about this some years ago I couldn't believe it until I saw it on TV and heard them ringing. Truly awesome!

January 15, 2014 4:44:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,

They will never find any dyson spheres... because we are inside one, and the heavens and stars and galaxies we see are holographic projections embedded in the interior of the dyson sphere. The holograms are so advanced that they give readings of dark matters, red shift doplar affects, and other features making it impossible for observers to detect any differences. There is nothing else outside our dyson sphere. Does this really require proof? You can't disprove it.
OMG !! How did you come by such vital information !!

January 15, 2014 11:09:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

She subscribed to the newsletter.

January 17, 2014 9:15:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting neone6,

Quoting ElanaAhova, reply 9
They will never find any dyson spheres... because we are inside one, and the heavens and stars and galaxies we see are holographic projections embedded in the interior of the dyson sphere. The holograms are so advanced that they give readings of dark matters, red shift doplar affects, and other features making it impossible for observers to detect any differences. There is nothing else outside our dyson sphere. Does this really require proof? You can't disprove it. OMG !! How did you come by such vital information !!

Actually, that still is not quite correct.  We [as in Earth] are one of many hanging globes that spin around constantly... and the stars we see above us are in fact painted on this kid's bedroom ceiling.  That's why they're always in the same place and look the same... and if you see a shooting star/meteor,, it's the kid playing with his toys when he should be getting to sleep.

Oh, and that's another reason I don't believe in all this global warming hogwash... cos when the kid's parents catch him and stop him smoking in his room at night, things will improve and the air will clear.

January 18, 2014 2:28:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hologram cannot beat triangulation.

January 18, 2014 7:05:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

strange and surprising...   poor moose 

January 18, 2014 11:05:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting GeomanNL,

Hologram cannot beat triangulation.

Sure it can.

January 18, 2014 6:30:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well those fish were certainly interesting. They clearly made the wrong choice there. And the moose... how did he get there, maybe he walked on thin ice and it cracked and he got stuck?

January 27, 2014 4:22:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

Quoting starkers, reply 11soak your socks in cold black tea and let them dry prior to wearing to prevent foot odour. Maybe so, but it will sure make your tea taste funny. 

I knew space was full of vacuums, but  I had no idea they were Dysons. With so much suction, that explains those black holes.

Dyson vacuum runs on a miniature dyson sphere!  Strange and wonderful. 

Black holes?  The dean of all things scientific just announced that he now thinks black holes do not exist. 

Starkers,  that special tea brew will now have special additive:  essence of sole.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.