Windows 8 - I did it!

By on January 11, 2014 12:27:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Leo the Lion

Join Date 05/2003
+88

Last weekend I took the plunge and put Windows 8 on my main machine and I must admit I am enjoying the experience. Admittedly, the Stardock apps make it even better..........but after week of finding my way around I can honestly say that the experience has been a good one.

Things of note:-

• Fast boot time.
  • Like the Start screen set-up.
  • Some great apps although quality in some areas are lacking........hopefully that will improve.
  • IE very very responsive but those blurry fonts really piss me off so back to dear old Chrome.
  • Finding your way around was a bit cumbersome at first but I've now got the hang of it.
  • 8 was bearable but 8.1 seems to have knocked out most of the kinks.........'threshold' update due in April will make it even better.
  • Everything seems to be really snappy and fast.
  • Clean install is definitely the way to go.

At the same time I upgraded to Microsoft Office 2013 and that is taking a whole lot of getting used to. I've only really used Outlook and the flat and pale look killed me at first. I then read up on some ways to customize it and it's more bearable now. 

34 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 11, 2014 12:33:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Windows 8 - I did it!

And he was never heard from again....

January 11, 2014 1:17:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Windows 8? Yeah, good luck with that. Well each to his own I guess.

January 11, 2014 1:38:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Leo. get the best browser    Ice  DRAGON  http://icedragon.comodo.com  HAS ALL  THE  SECURITY you  want  plus all Firefox ADD- ONS Farst to works grate on w8 & w81  too

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 11, 2014 11:53:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

H8rs...gonna be H8rs, what ya gonna do?      

Leo, I agree with everything you said except for #2.

Like the Start screen set-up.

January 11, 2014 12:20:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

To me, it's refreshing and enjoyable to play with something new after 7...................plus all the Stardock apps are great add-ons and compliment the whole OS from both the 'eye candy' and productivity points of view. 

January 11, 2014 1:37:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yeah, and I still have 7, so, if I ever change my mind.....

January 11, 2014 8:41:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Windows 8 - I did it![/quote]

I have been using Win 8 since the 1st public beta and haven't looked back since.  Yeah, Win 7 was alright, but Win 8 is much snappier to use and just runs rings around previous Windows releases. 

I love the speed advantages, like faster program loads, file transfers and copy speeds, but most of all the superior boot times.  I was booting to a fully workable desktop in around 18 - 20 seconds, but since switching to a UEFI BIOS and disabling the Lock Screen and Login page, I am booting in 6 to 8 seconds.  Of course, booting to a SSD assists this greatly, but I had Win 7 running on this very same drive/machine and it never, ever performed this well.

I see the same Windows 8 haters are still around, ready to quickly jump on a Win 8 related thread to express their views. It's sad, really, because if only the gave it a real try, they may very well be pleasantly surprised.  And Win 8 doesn't require high-end hardware to better its predecessors.  My sister has an old AMD dual core machine [3.2ghz] with just 2 gigs of RAM and a 6800GTX, and she immediately noticed the speed increase over XP.

Quoting captainmoonlight,

Leo. get the best browser    Ice  DRAGON  http://icedragon.comodo.com  HAS ALL  THE  SECURITY you  want  plus all Firefox ADD- ONS Farst to works grate on w8 & w81  too

I'm running a 64 bit version of Firefox called Waterfox.  It is an improvement on Firefox in various ways and is quite quick to load/display pages, etc.  It is compatible with all the Firefox addons, themes and extensions so you're not losing any functionality, etc.  The one thing I recommend is to install only the one ... either Firefox OR Waterfox.  Running both can mess with how pages are displayed, as I discovered, so I uninstalled Firefox and have been more than happy with Waterfox.

[quote who="RedneckDude" reply="6" id="3433003"]Yeah, and I still have 7, so, if I ever change my mind.....

Now why would yer wanna go n' do that?  Silly man!  All that work to set up Win 7 and all the proggies again?  Just to find it's slower and more cumbersome?  Silly, silly man!!!  Ya knows which side yer bread's best buttered... and when yer on a good thing, stick to it, my good man, stick to it.

January 11, 2014 8:44:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

How much is MS paying you?

January 11, 2014 8:55:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yep, Starkers..........Everything flies faster on 8 on my rig...........No complaints here.

Quoting Uncrustable,

Not enough 

January 11, 2014 10:09:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
Now why would yer wanna go n' do that? Silly man! All that work to set up Win 7 and all the proggies again?
Actually, I should have said, I still have 7 installed, along with all my programs and settings. Dual booted with 8.1 and 8.1 is my main OS.

January 11, 2014 10:43:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uncrustable,

What!!!!  Nothing! 

5-4-3-2-1.... End of Communication.... Disengage.

Quoting Leo the Lion,
Yep, Starkers..........Everything flies faster on 8 on my rig...........No complaints here.

Pleased to hear it.  It's like I've said to a few people, give it a fair go and you might find you actually like it.  I mean, if you set it up right, it is no different to Win 7... just faster and crisper to use.  I have a nephew who kept bitching about Win 8 a and what a pig it is, so when he was here last I let him have a dabble on my spare rig with Win 8.1 installed.  I soon had hime eating his words.

"Now that's more like it," he exclaimed: " a decent OS with a decent start menu. See, I told you you'd go back to Win 7."

After he'd been on it a while and had sung it's praises over Win 7, I said: "Adrian, press the Windows key and see what happens."

Yeah, well, the Metro Start Screen popped up, didn't it.  Hehe, I had him back-pedalling and making all sorts of excuses to worm his way out of it.  As it so happens, Ady has installed Win 8 on his home PC and is loving it.  Hehe, all that hate for nothing.

Quoting RedneckDude,

Quoting starkers, reply 7Now why would yer wanna go n' do that? Silly man! All that work to set up Win 7 and all the proggies again?Actually, I should have said, I still have 7 installed, along with all my programs and settings. Dual booted with 8.1 and 8.1 is my main OS.

Yeah, orright, dual booting with Win 7 is okay if you need it [skinning, etc], but I don't need it so just have 8.1 on my rig, and 8.1 on my 2nd rig, but I still have my copies of Win 7 if ever I need to install it.  Anyhow, you're probably aware that I was just fooling around with you, so I won't apologise or grovel on the ground and beg your forgiveness.

January 11, 2014 10:56:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
have 8.1 on my rig, and 8.1 on my 2nd rig,

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I have 8.1 and 7 dualled on my main rig, 8.1 and 7 dualled on my AIO Touchscreen Dell rig, and only 7 on my laptop.

Oh, and since I run 5 monitors, I have VMWare installed on the main rig and I sometimes run Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Ubuntu all at the same time, one on each monitor, all from the same PC.

It is cool, if unnecessary as hell.

January 11, 2014 11:39:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Interesting that you 'turned' your nephew, Starkers..........My two IT guys were 'nay sayers' a few weeks ago and they got a a couple of licenses and now you'd have to break their arms to take 8.1 off them............

Jim...........sounds like you are running the Star Ship Enterprise with all those rigs 

January 11, 2014 11:40:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Leo the Lion,
Jim...........sounds like you are running the Star Ship Enterprise with all those rigs

The second sentence is describing just one rig, with 5 OSes.

January 12, 2014 5:28:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Quoting starkers, reply 11 have 8.1 on my rig, and 8.1 on my 2nd rig,

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I have 8.1 and 7 dualled on my main rig, 8.1 and 7 dualled on my AIO Touchscreen Dell rig, and only 7 on my laptop.

Oh, and since I run 5 monitors, I have VMWare installed on the main rig and I sometimes run Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Ubuntu all at the same time, one on each monitor, all from the same PC.

It is cool, if unnecessary as hell.

I can't imagine why anybody would want to run that many OSes at once... and XP fer crying out loud.  I used it, but I never really liked XP that much.  I couldn't stand that Fisher Price look that kind of made it look like a kids toy.  Without WB and Iconpackager to dress it up it was almost intolerable to look at. I think that's why I welcomed Vista with open arms... could run it without window dressing.

As for dual booting, I have done it in the past, but I have no need to do so anymore.  These days I stick with Win 8.1 on my main rig and that's it. If I ever needed to Run Win 7 I could put a machine together for it from the various spare parts I have.  However, I have built an XP rig for gaming. Some of our games do not like anything much after XP, so I put this one together to connect to a 42" HDTV.  I'm not worried that XP will be dropped by MS later this year, it's perfectly functional as is and won't be connected to the net anyhow.

Quoting Leo the Lion,
Interesting that you 'turned' your nephew, Starkers

Yeah, the look on his face was priceless... as was his being lost for words when he was faced with the blunt reality that he'd been using and enjoyed Win 8.1, an OS he professed to hate, for the last 20 minutes. I had my rig set up so that it was obvious I was using Win 8.1, with the Metro start panel making several appearances while he was dissing to OS with every breath.  Anyhow, when he asked if I had a Win 7 machine he could use, I directed him to the Win 8.1 rig upstairs and let him have at it.  He had no idea what he was using because I had disabled the lock screen and had it set up with Start 8 to mimic Win 7... so it hit him like a ton of bricks when he was confronted with the "oh shit, this is Windows 8.1"

January 12, 2014 5:40:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

My windows experiences so far are that after any fresh install windows starts up quickly. This goes for windows XP, windows VISTA, and windows 7 which I currently use.

After a year it's a lot slower.

I bought an SSD to get rid of the 1 minute startup time. (which in the beginning was like 10 seconds, with a HDD).

Once windows 7 is running, there's no problem of course, the system is fine.

Is windows 8.1 any different from its predecessors in this respect? Will it still start up quickly after 1 year of use?

January 12, 2014 9:01:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
I can't imagine why anybody would want to run that many OSes at once... and XP fer crying out loud

Simple....testing skins. As a skinner, I like to know if my work works on the OSes used.  Ubuntu, of course, is excluded from my skinning.

Reason #2....because I can. Most people can't understand why I run 5 monitors plus a 32 inch LCD HDTV.

Because I can.    As for XP, yeah, yuck, but I did buy IconX, and Right Click, and Tab Launchpad, which still work fine on XP. As well as Hyperdesk, choke...cough...

I still have the first Stardock Podcast, in which the speaker talks about Rogue Proton Gold, and how it's not a daily useable skin, you'd run it when you want to show off to your friends as to how "damn cool" your computer could look.

My friends are amazed when they see me running 5 OSes at once from one PC.

It is cool, even if it is unnecessary.

January 12, 2014 9:05:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sorry for the off topic, Leo. 

January 12, 2014 9:07:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting GeomanNL,
Is windows 8.1 any different from its predecessors in this respect? Will it still start up quickly after 1 year of use?

After a year, I still boot from desktop to desktop in about 45 seconds, with 8.1 and an SSD. Cold boot, or reboot, takes about the same amount of time.

January 12, 2014 10:15:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It still amazes me how someone that has never tried something can tell someone else it is no good. I did not want to go with Windows 8 because I was happy with 7 and the fear of the unknown was a deterrent. Then my laptop gave up the ghost so when I was doing my shopping the store had already got rid of the 7 machines so I had little choice but to buy a laptop with 8. Like Leo I had to get use to it. I then did the free upgrade to 8.1 and had some issues but I believe those were my own doing. I went back to 8 to correct them and now I am back on 8.1 again and everything is working fine. No problem with software including any Stardock software that is installed. The way my system is set up now looks very much like Windows 7 and I believe runs even a bit better/faster then 7.

All the naysayers can stay naysayers but just remember what happened when Windows 7 came out. Many said  that they would never install Windows 7 but are now running it and like it.

As for running multiple systems I do not do but I do enjoy running Virtualbox from time to time just for the fun of it. I have 3 OS installed on it and in full screen mode works quite well.

January 12, 2014 3:06:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Quoting GeomanNL, reply 16Is windows 8.1 any different from its predecessors in this respect? Will it still start up quickly after 1 year of use?

After a year, I still boot from desktop to desktop in about 45 seconds, with 8.1 and an SSD. Cold boot, or reboot, takes about the same amount of time.

Really? 45 seconds?  That seems like an eternity, especially with an SSD.  My rig boots to a working desktop in about 6-8 seconds, but then I've performed a couple of tweaks in BIOS and Windows start-up.

I seem to remember you talking about using a UEFI mobo some time ago but I'm not sure if it was you who had it or someone else.  Anyway, you can reduce that time considerably if you do in fact have UEFI and go into the boot settings to enable Quick Start. There are two settings available on mine, Standard and Express, but you need to read up in your owners manual if you're going to use Express.  Enabling Express could mean that you can only access the BIOS from an icon on the desktop because there's no menu at boot-up, just a quick flash before your desktop loads, so until you become accustomed to it all you may want to use the Standard Quick Start.

The other thing you can do is disable the Lock and Login screens.  By the time you swipe off the Lock Screen and type in your password you've wasted 8-10 seconds... more if it's a long password, so why not dispense with them both?  I did and my boot times are super quick.

As to your question GeomanNL, I expect that Windows 8 will slow some after a year or so of use, but in my experience I'd say not as much as previous editions.  That may have something to do with running it on a SSD, but I ran Win 7 on an identical SSD and I feel it had slowed more after 12 months of constant use.  Also, I believe that running any OS on a mechanical drive will slow it down more rapidly than on a SSD, which is static and does not require defragmenting, thus better maintaining file integrity.

January 12, 2014 5:31:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
My rig boots to a working desktop in about 6-8 seconds

I don't mean to be argumentative, but I'm sure that's from a hibernated state and not a full cold boot. If you disabled the hibernation, as I have, you wouldn't see that fast a boot. I have had 3 different SSDs on 3 different rigs with virgin installs with no added programs and have never seen a 5-6 second boot time, even WITH hibernation enabled.

Since I dual boot, I wouldn't want Quick Start. I do have a UEFI BIOS.

I also have hibernation disabled. Windows 8/8.1 fools people into thinking they get 10 second boots, when in actuality, it's not a true boot because with default settings, 8 and 8.1 never really shutdown, they hibernate.

I don't want my PC to hibernate. When I shut down, I want it to actually shut down.

45 seconds is very reasonable for an actual boot into a fully functional desktop, all progs loaded, net available. I get about the same boot up speed when warm booting ( rebooting from a fully functional desktop, back to a fully functioning desktop). Lock and login screens disabled.

Also, in a dual boot situation, you must remember that the boot screen can only be set to 5 seconds, no shorter. Of course, if I'm sitting there, I hit the button for 8.1 in 2 seconds, to save 3 seconds...lol.

January 12, 2014 7:30:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
I don't mean to be argumentative, but I'm sure that's from a hibernated state

Nope, I always hard shutdown my machine, so every turn-on is a cold boot.  I don't like hibernation as I has issues with my rig waking up when I didn't want it to, so it's disabled. 

I believe the reason you're not seeing faster boot times is that you multi-boot and do not use UEFI Quick Start.  When I press the on button I do not get the BIOS post or boot menu, just a blank bootscreen with the whirlygig for about 4-5 seconds then my desktop loading, which takes 2-3 seconds... to load desktop icons and Winstep Xtreme.

Quoting RedneckDude,
45 seconds is very reasonable for an actual boot into a fully functional desktop

I suppose it is when you're muti-booting and have a standard startup enabled in the BIOS, but that's a choice you've made so you can access the various OSes for skinning and the like.  Me, I like it simple these days.  One OS per machine and a fast, uncomplicated bootup.  I got yrag to thank for that. There was a time when I triple booted XP, Vista, Win 7 and had 6 drives installed, but he suggested I would get more out of my machine if I got back to basics and didn't bloat it with multiple HDDs, and he was right...of course.  These days I just have my SSD and a 2Tb HDD internally.  All my other drives are now externals and are connected only as needed.  So yeah, the more drives/partitions you have, the more your BIOS has to read at boot, thus preventing a faster start.

Yup, simple and uncomplicated suits me.

January 12, 2014 7:53:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
Nope, I always hard shutdown my machine

Actually, a hard shutdown in Windows 8 is actually a hybrid shutdown/hibernate, Mark.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/how-windows-8-hybrid-shutdown-fast-boot-feature-works/ 

Unless you disable fast boot. 

"The goal of Fast Boot is pretty obvious from its name - Windows 8 boots up faster than previous versions of the operating system ever did. To accomplish this feat, Windows 8 doesn't totally shut down when you click the Shut down command. Instead it only partially shuts down and partially hibernates. This is the Hybrid Shutdown part of the equation. Then, when you turn on your computer, Windows 8 starts very quickly because it only has to partially boot up and partially wake up. This is the Fast Boot part of the equation. Fast Boot also gets a boost from the efficiency of today's hardware; namely UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) and multi-core processors."

January 12, 2014 7:55:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Point being, you are not actually shutting down completely. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000703   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.