What's the most useless animal pet research ever?

By on January 4, 2014 7:10:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

GeomanNL

Join Date 05/2013
+5

I think this is the most useless research ever conducted on animals. I just read about it and just couldn't believe it.

http://www.livescience.com/42317-dogs-poop-along-north-south-magnetic-lines.html

I quote: "researchers, who spent two years watching 70 dogs while they defecated and urinated thousands of times."

And:

"Their study, the authors wrote, also "forces biologists and physicians to seriously reconsider effects magnetic storms might pose on organisms.""

How... they wouldn't know how to poop anymore?

LOL

18 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 4, 2014 7:20:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This subject (as well as the 'science' described) doesn't pass the "sniff test". 

January 4, 2014 8:14:55 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

for the new generation that cna't reed well

January 4, 2014 9:50:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So the researchers are also running in circles and chasing their tails (metaphorically speaking)?

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 4, 2014 9:59:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So a dog can align itself in a north/south direction before doing its thing. Will wonders never cease.  

January 4, 2014 10:03:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So, dogs at the north or south poles wouldn't know which way to "go"  from those locations, or would they just make one big pile there? Also, space travel would not be recommended.

This brings to mind the age old question of "Why do dogs lick their balls?" because they can

January 4, 2014 10:25:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"[...] in a statistically significant way they all [...]"

I love TV anchors trying to sound like they know what they're talking about.

January 4, 2014 1:33:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you are ever lost in the forest without a compass just bring a dog with loose bowels!

January 4, 2014 6:00:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That makes me think of a little story: Snowy the dog was running for hours and hours and then had to take a dump. Time to get a short break and to get his bearings. And then continue running... south... or north... he couldn't tell the difference. After a few days of running and taking dumps, Snowy got nowhere.

Gosh what a useless ability, he thought. Cursed that primordial bacteria that invented this ability and made us all shit north or south.

(End of little story)

My mother is kind of alternative, telling that the direction you sleep in is important. I never believed it, what difference does it make as long as you are comfortable and warm? But such research would almost make me doubt... what if she is right? Perhaps I should even face my own toiled north-south, maybe that's more relaxed.

January 4, 2014 9:53:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

thank goodness those people called their baby North West.... 'cause North South would be a crap name... 

January 5, 2014 12:53:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

January 5, 2014 5:26:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What's the most useless animal pet research ever?

Um, when I was a kid... stretching next-door's chiuahua to see if it could become a sausage dog.

.... or to see if I could create a 3 humped camel and call it Humphrey.

Then there was the time I tried crossing a flea with a gecko and ended up with a leaping lizard.

All totally useless pet research/experiments, but the looks on the faces of the RSPCA folk when viewing the results was priceless.

January 5, 2014 5:33:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

and it takes a poop story to smoke starkers out of the woodwork....  

January 5, 2014 8:15:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting sydneysiders,
and it takes a poop story to smoke starkers out of the woodwork

Wasn't in the woodwork... rather I was hiding behind a concrete pillar looking for stress fractures.

January 5, 2014 9:39:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting GeomanNL,
My mother is kind of alternative, telling that the direction you sleep in is important. I never believed it, what difference does it make as long as you are comfortable and warm? But such research would almost make me doubt... what if she is right?

That explains a lot....

January 5, 2014 11:07:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

starkers sighting off the port bow!!!  The new year is looking better already. Great to see you back in the forums, Sir! 

Quoting sydneysiders,
and it takes a poop story to smoke starkers out of the woodwork....  
Yeah, mention the poop deck and out comes the Cap'n.

January 5, 2014 2:47:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Starkers! Great to see you around. Hullo to the missus and all the downunder folks. Ah har, ya old pirate!

January 5, 2014 4:40:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
Good to see you again Starkers... happy sailing!
January 6, 2014 6:21:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks Wiz, Seld's and Elana, 'tis good ta see ye all agin, too.

Oh, 'n bring me that thar swab wot pooped on tha deck, will yer?

I 'aves this 'ere tar socked cork ta plug 'im up an' make shure 'e don't do it agin.  Aarrgghh!!!!! 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000390   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.