personalization resizing LARGER @ 1920 x 1080 fixed with Windows 8.1.1

By on December 27, 2013 3:20:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

number74

Join Date 12/2003
+6

Deskscapes is now compatible with personalization resizing when setting to a larger display size

Using 1 monitor, with Update 1 (Windows 8.1.1) @ 1920 x 1080 + LARGER = ok. 

Deskscapes =

12 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 27, 2013 4:49:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

from memory I did Properties and Fill and all adjust perfectly on my 27" and 30" at 2560x1600 and 2560x1440  

December 28, 2013 1:10:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

-Although I must say that Windows "Personalization" function is F´d up when it comes to most types of advanced reskinning of the Os.

-Better off buying a pair of Reading-glasses me thinks

( I did )

December 28, 2013 2:49:44 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

@ sydneysiders

Thanks for the info on high res monitors working better with deskscapes and resizing.

My monitors are maxed at 1920 x 1080 and that is where they will stay.

Have no plans to upgrade to a higher res monitor.

@ neone6

I find that Windows Blinds does a great job of skinning Windows.

Winstep also works well. 

There are other animated wallpaper programs that have the same result as deskscapes so I do not fault deskscapes.

Beautiful Space animated works OK as wallpaper but has compatibility issues for the settings as a screen saver in Windows 8.1

As for vision, I see fine.  There are some problems with personalization parameters.  Like resizing the explorer fonts to very large makes a mess of everything.  There should have been some fine tuning about that.  If explorer fonts are made larger, the spacing should be automatically increased, but they are not and fonts all get crushed together.  It's not very well thought out.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
December 28, 2013 7:13:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting number74,
There are some problems with personalization parameters. Like resizing the explorer fonts to very large makes a mess of everything. There should have been some fine tuning about that. If explorer fonts are made larger, the spacing should be automatically increased, but they are not and fonts all get crushed together. It's not very well thought out.
Well, that´s what I said...sort of

December 28, 2013 10:30:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

From what I have experienced, at least when setting a wallpaper with Deskscapes, it will only recognize images that are the exact same size as your display settings. If you are set at for instance 1920 x 1200 and have a 1920 x 1080, or any other size wallpaper, Deskscapes will not even see them, it will only see 1920 x 1200 wallpapers.

December 31, 2013 9:55:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

got it working nicely now!

changed resolution to 1366 x 768 on this 37 inch HDTV PC monitor + TV and changed the font type and increased the size to 12 and bold.

January 1, 2014 7:16:05 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

That is one big cursor!

January 2, 2014 7:54:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

That is one big cursor!

yep.   Walking around any computer store you see all these tiny screen devices,

great for portability  (10" and 13" tablets, ipads and notebooks ...)

Then I think about my massive home PC monitor, and I am a happy camper.

Getting TV thru Hauppauge WinTV and customization by Stardock and Winstep, and Windows 8.1 is fine. 

April 30, 2014 11:54:09 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Windows Update 1 now 8.1.1 seems to have fixed this issue unless it was an updated Intel fix.

I think it was probably Update 1. 

Using 1 monitor, Can NOW resize display to LARGER and set resolution to default 1920 x 1080

and DESKCAPES works fine.    

If there is an occasional unexpected pause, simply restarting explorer.exe from the task manager gets it going.

May 1, 2014 6:06:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting number74,
changed resolution to 1366 x 768 on this 37 inch HDTV PC monitor + TV

One of my rigs will be set up on a HD 50" TV when I get my man cave and gaming PC sorted, so I'm wondering about resolution and settings when it's all done.  While deskscapes isn't a priority, it is a consideration. I'm thinking it will be paired with my XP games rig, which will have a Gigabyte 4Gb GTX 770 for a GPU.  It won't be for ultra high-end games, just things like Riven; Myst; Abe's Odyssey; Dungeon Keeper and the like... mostly stuff from the 80's and early 90's, so it won't need a GTX 780 or anything higher to play games at full resolution and framerate, etc.

May 1, 2014 6:30:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting number74,

got it working nicely now!

changed resolution to 1366 x 768 on this 37 inch HDTV PC monitor + TV and changed the font type and increased the size to 12 and bold.

how did you set animated wallpaper for tiles?? i am using deskscapes but its only animating it for the desktop but not for the background of tiles.

May 1, 2014 9:13:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting wajiman786,

how did you set animated wallpaper for tiles?? I am using deskscapes but its only animating it for the desktop but not for the background of tiles.

It is necessary to be using Windows 8.1 to get videos to work on the start screen and apps screen including the desktop.

Once 8.1 is installed, from the navigation options, right click on taskbar - select properties - navigation tab - tick the box show desktop on start

OR, from the charms personalization, select the bottom rightmost box to show the desktop on the start and apps screen.

If Deskscapes is running on Windows 8.1, it will show on the start screen.

Good Luck.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000625   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.