Fences Crashing windows explorer bug.

By on December 10, 2013 3:51:14 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

kdragotta

Join Date 12/2013

I had an interesting issue yesterday on my system.  I often work on two computers and use Windows Remote Desktop to access the second one without having to switch peripherals. Yesterday I was constantly having to transfer files from one computer to the other. I decided to try and make a shortcut to the networked drive on the desktop of the machine that has fences. The shortcut seemed fine until I decided to change its name... As soon as the name was changed, Windows explorer locked up, and crashed after several seconds. 

After a reboot, windows explorer had several crashes until a message popped up notifying me that fences had detected issues with explorer and was being turned off. After attempting to turn Fences back on, Win explorer crashed several more times until the same notification from Fences popped up again.

I removed the shortcut from my Desktop and activated Fences again. Everything was back to normal.

I am not sure if the issue exists due to Windows Remote Desktop or some other issue, but figured I would post this in case anyone else has any similar occurrences.

System

Memory:16GB RAM

CPU: i7 3770K

---------------

9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 10, 2013 3:58:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

We thought we had nailed this down in the current version but it appears there are still conditions that trigger crashes. Best thing to do will be to open a ticket and include our support tool data. It will have the Fences debug data which we can pass to the devs to be looked at.

Please download and run the following utility:

http://sd.stardock.com/SDSupportTool.exe

This is a tool that we use to gather relevant log files and basic information about your computer. Once the utility finishes running, please send the .zip file it creates on the desktop to support@stardock.com

December 10, 2013 4:00:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Also, make sure you are using Fences 2.12.

You can get it from your account here: https://store.stardock.com/myaccount/products

December 12, 2013 8:31:23 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks, same issue here.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
December 12, 2013 11:07:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting charless1956,

Thanks, same issue here.

Sorry to hear you have the issue as well. If you are seeing it with version 2.12, please run the support tool and email it to us to create a ticket as I noted above so we can look into it.

January 5, 2014 7:20:01 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yep, same issue here. I cannot use a product that hoses my OS, so I am uninstalling. 

April 3, 2014 5:30:41 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've had a similar problem: Windows 7 fully updated.  Fences worked initially but then crashed Explorer (and my entire laptop) 3 times on startup.  After the third time, I managed to get the machine working after uninstalling Fences but lost all my desktop icons and could not get them back.  I also lost all capacity to connect to the web via my router.  I had to restore the machine from a month old image to get it working again - fortunately I have robust data backup in place.   I won't be re-installing Fences, the risk is too great - the machine had been entirely stable up to that point.  Not good.

April 15, 2014 12:35:03 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Same issue.  Deleted and reinstalled many times.

Had to rebuild my computer, now unstable.

April 15, 2014 1:16:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Gargabee,

We thought we had nailed this down in the current version but it appears there are still conditions that trigger crashes. Best thing to do will be to open a ticket and include our support tool data. It will have the Fences debug data which we can pass to the devs to be looked at.

Please download and run the following utility:

http://sd.stardock.com/SDSupportTool.exe

This is a tool that we use to gather relevant log files and basic information about your computer. Once the utility finishes running, please send the .zip file it creates on the desktop to support@stardock.com

April 15, 2014 3:05:54 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I can't supply the log information about Fences because I've restored an image which never had Fences installed.  So downloading the analytical tool would be a waste of time.  In any event, the damage caused by Fences to my laptop was so catastrophic that there is not the slightest chance that I will risk installing it ever again.  Ideally, I would like my money back

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000688   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.