Possible Conflict with Windows 8.1

Store App keeps randomly opening

By on December 3, 2013 2:41:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

jacksghost

Join Date 04/2013

Hello all,

I've been using my HP Omni desktop with Windows 8 and Object Desktop for the better part of a year with no problem until now.

Two days ago, Windows forced me to install the recent 8.1 update and it rebooted my pc.  Since then, while I am working on the desktop, which is all the time, the silly Store App keeps randomly opening in full screen and I have to keep on closing it.  I've read through a lot of Windows 8.1 update issues, but I haven't seen anyone posting about this same exact problem so I wondered if it could be due to a conflict with my Stardock software.

Has anyone else had or heard of anyone having this issue?  It's not a huge issue, but after 2 days I'm tired of it.

Thanks!

8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 3, 2013 4:13:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It sounds like you need to reinstall ModernMix as you may have an older version installed, though that should cause it to open Windowed, not fullscreen unless by fullscreen you mean as a maximized window with a titlebar.

December 4, 2013 5:08:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hello,

I have responded to your ticket, please see the reply and reply to it when you can. Thanks.

December 5, 2013 3:50:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.  There was an update available for ModernMix so I did update that.  I also opened ModernMix and noticed the Store app was set to Maximized so I changed it to Windowed.  After about 24 hours or so now, the Store app seems to have stopped opening.  I am guessing the ModernMix update did the trick.

With that said, I did notice one other quirk/glitch.  Since installing the Windows 8.1 update, I also cannot drag/move any of my Desktop icons.  For ex, I have some program shortcut icons, MS Word files, PDF's, etc on my desktop and I cannot reorganize them.  If I add a new file to my desktop, it automatically goes to the first available spot on the top-left and then it is stuck there.  I can click and double-click on any of them with no problem to open files or programs and I can also click on them and delete them with no trouble.  It is only the dragging/moving that does not work.  If I try to drag and icon, the cursor changes to a black circle with a line through it.

I have Fences, ModernMix, Start8, and WindowFX installed and I updated each of them and rebooted, but that did not resolve it.  Do you have any suggestions for that?  Thanks.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
December 6, 2013 11:32:14 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Do you have the latest version of Fences installed? v2.12

December 6, 2013 12:49:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

when I went to install windowfx it said that it was not applicialbe to 8.1

December 9, 2013 12:06:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have installed the latest Fences update, 2.12, as well and that hasn't helped.  Windows and each of the Object Desktop apps I use are all updated and I still cannot drag or reorganize my shortcuts on the Desktop.

December 9, 2013 4:20:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well I ended up uninstalling Fences and that resolved the problem.  I can move my icons around on my desktop again so u, unfortunately, there appears to be a glitch with Fences and Windows 8.1.  Maybe support could look into testing that, thanks.

December 10, 2013 12:58:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't know if this helps but doesn't fences have a "lock icon in position check box"...if you uncheck this...I think that might be the problem, or is that winstep I am thinking of...beat of luck sorting it out...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.