So installed VS on the wrong drive...

By on December 2, 2013 8:12:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Illauna

Join Date 09/2006
+50

So after installing Visual Studio to the wrong drive on accident. I am again reminded that Microsoft does to a file structure that a 1 year old does to cake. They make a complete mess of it. Unfortunately unlike the kid they aren't cute.

Even after uninstalling what seemed like over 50 separate uninstallers, most of which just reminding me that I've already uninstalled that application, I'm still left with disaster that was once a well organized folder structure. There are files everywhere in the most random places. Let's leave files left over from an installation on the root directory. Or better yet, on the separate partition I created to avoid this mess in the first place. Also Windows programs can also be in a few different locations such as WIndows features, Windows Updates and my favorite Add/Remove Programs. Each component of a program must have it's own uninstaller and in most cases each component can be installed at the same time but have to be removed 1 at a time. 

Oh heaven forbid you try to queue up more than one uninstaller at the same time. ARGH!!!

/rant off

4 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 3, 2013 9:38:30 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yes, it's bloated with all kinds of stuff.

Nevertheless it's a very good tool, I cannot do without it.

December 3, 2013 5:50:25 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It was pretty annoying uninstalling every single dependency separately when I had to pull off 2012 (.NET 4.5 replaces 4.0 and changes stuff that impacted the 4.0 targeted apps I was working on). I can understand having to reinstall the 4.0 targeting pack manually after doing that, but when there is only one installer to run to put it all on, you'd think you could at least expect it to do likewise to remove.

December 3, 2013 9:17:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't understand your rant. I have checked and I only have one uninstaller which presumably would uninstall exactly what was installed. Since I haven't tried to uninstall VS2012, I can't verify that there is a problem that no one else apparently has had or there would have been plenty of flak on the Microsoft forums.

I fail to see how your mistake installing VS2012 on the "wrong" drive should be blamed upon Microsoft. 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
December 3, 2013 9:44:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

By default (IIRC) Visual Studio installs a dozen or two other items along with itself. Each of these have to be uninstalled separately if you want to actually get completely back to the state the machine was in prior and you can't use restore points.

It's nothing new (this machine has only 2010, and a quick check shows seventeen separate uninstallers that would have to be run to get rid of all the libraries, SDKs, SQL compact/express, etc.), but most people never need to uninstall, or at least don't need to uninstall .NET itself. That's the main problem, since if I remember right all the other stuff is registered as dependent so it all has to come off first to revert the framework (and yes, MS has gotten flak about the whole in-place replacement of 4.0 with 4.5).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000093   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.