Questions about online backups.

By on December 1, 2013 7:35:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Uvah

Join Date 05/2006
+737

Since I can't access my external drive I need a way to backup my hard drive. Is there an online backup that's free? I ask because I googled it and found one called Mozy. It says there is a free version and there exists one larger, probably the paid one. Does anyone know if its reliable or if there is one out there that is. 

37 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 2, 2013 2:24:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The only "free" online backups I would recommend are Dropbox and SkyDrive.  Of course with being free you only get a certain amount of storage.

How much data you backing up?

December 2, 2013 3:26:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Online backups should only be a second option....after first ensuring you have a local physical backup.  Get your external HD working...or purchase another....that's the priority...

December 2, 2013 4:41:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What I'd like is to backup all my files, folders etc. Checked one and all you get is 2gigs. My tutorials alone are more than that. I have a partition where most of my storage goes and that's over 40 gigs. I'm not counting what's in my pics folder, music and videos. I probably have 50 gigs or more. I doubt if there's one that big for free. I'm checking newegg. They should have an enclosure I can get that won't cost too much. 

Edit: Newegg has Orico, Thermaltake, Vantec and Ineo. Orico is the least expensive. They have two, one for $9.00 and another for $11.00. Some are higher like $30.00 and $40.00 bucks and one for over $100.00. Needless to say that's a bit high. I have a Western Digital SATA 1TB. Orico has one with USB 3.0 and one with USB 2.0. My laptop I don't think is set up for USB 3.0. It handles 2.0 with no problem. The last one was 2.0. Suggestions? 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
December 2, 2013 5:06:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,
I doubt if there's one that big for free.

Box.com has promotions with free 50 GB very often. depending on your hardware (phone, tablet, computer), you might be able to get one. here are the current promotions: https://support.box.com/hc/en-us/articles/200527078-Box-Promotions-FAQ

the Chinese laugh at the few GB us Westerners get. Baidu and Qihoo offer 1 TB for free and Tencent even offers 10 TB. the 10 TB offer might even be available for international users soon. http://thenextweb.com/asia/2013/11/19/international-users-can-soon-get-their-hands-on-10tb-of-free-cloud-storage-from-china-tencent/

December 2, 2013 6:02:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The first link offers for select devices only. HP and Dell. Mine is a Toshiba. I don't know about the Chinese one though. Are they reliable?

December 2, 2013 6:26:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Uvah I don't think you identified why you can not access your external drive unless I missed it.  I can make some suggestion as I have one USB 2 and one USB 3 dual hard drive docking stations by Thermaltake.  I got mine from Tiger Direct but I'm sure you can find then other places.  I would check Amazon.  You should be able to find single or dual drive models.

I would agree with Jafo also, online storage would be a second option. 

December 2, 2013 6:55:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Awhile back I posted a pic of the circuit board I took out of the external drive. There was what looked like a burn mark on it and I thought it had shorted out. Never did find out how. At any rate I've been looking at some newegg has. Probably go for one by Orica,

December 2, 2013 8:20:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Okay, understand now Uvah.

December 2, 2013 8:25:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,
There was what looked like a burn mark on it

Ok...drive's fried....bin it, unless what's on it is worth thousands of $ in which case you can pay a pro to recover it.

Otherwise... Get a new one.  Don't go for something in a tight, neat casing....it'll likely overheat and repeat the issue. 

December 3, 2013 5:12:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Its not the drive that's fried. It was the controller for the enclosure it was in, the drive itself is fine. I have it put away in a cool dry place. I need just another enclosure to put it in.  

December 3, 2013 7:07:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting moshi,
the Chinese laugh at the few GB us Westerners get

And I'm really sure the Chinese sites honor the privacy of the data. 

Quoting Jafo,
Ok...drive's fried....bin it, unless what's on it is worth thousands of $ in which case you can pay a pro to recover it.

Otherwise... Get a new one.  Don't go for something in a tight, neat casing....it'll likely overheat and repeat the issue. 

With all the Cyber Monday deals on Newegg, I'd take a look there, Uvah.

December 3, 2013 7:11:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,
Its not the drive that's fried. It was the controller for the enclosure it was in, the drive itself is fine. I have it put away in a cool dry place. I need just another enclosure to put it in.  

You don't 'need' an enclosure...you just need power and the appropriate ribbon...unless the drive IC card is fried too....

December 3, 2013 8:07:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have a question. Will a flash drive last as long as an external hard drive. Reason i'm asking is I can get a 128GB flash drive for a good price.

December 3, 2013 8:20:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Arguably longer...as no moving parts means better durability...

December 3, 2013 8:38:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thank you  Paul

December 3, 2013 8:52:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
And I'm really sure the Chinese sites honor the privacy of the data. 

i am pretty sure they don't. and even the most naive should have learnt recently that the Murican sites don't as well.

the answer was mostly about whether free services for larger amounts of data exist or not. they do. of course sensitive data should not be submitted to any storage service. even if a truecrypt container might be save for now, it probably wont be in one or two years.

but for photos of your lunch, a collection of skins and wallpapers, or "cyber-hoarding" like downloaded Photoshop tutorials any service will be fine. then one just has to find the right balance between space, bandwidth, availability for one's devices and cost.

December 3, 2013 9:03:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Not sure the sites themselves are the problem ... more likely the strength of those who want to peruse the data. No site could really withstand the NSA or its counterparts. On the other hand, it would be easier to brute force the person's computer.

Of course, the question of the effort required to break encryption would then devolve to whether "it's worth it". More likely they would screen for 'bad actors' and decrypt them rather than brute force everyone.

December 3, 2013 9:05:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

A flash drive! Hmmm....

December 3, 2013 9:16:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

A SSD would be recommended.

December 3, 2013 9:24:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Of course, the question of the effort required to break encryption would then devolve to whether "it's worth it". More likely they would screen for 'bad actors' and decrypt them rather than brute force everyone.

the use of encryption itself probably triggers a "might be worth it". 

but again: the main purpose of the NSA is not "catching the bad guys" but industrial espionage. and their huge facilities are obviously built for data-mining, not for targeting single persons.

December 3, 2013 10:09:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Island Dog,

A SSD would be recommended.

SSD's are beyond my reach right now. I'm thinking a flash drive right now. Much more readily available until I get a new enclosure.

December 3, 2013 10:25:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My flash drives, usb2, are horribly slow to write to.  Wouldn't want to do much with them.  You may end up wishing you'd just put the $10 or $20 on the new hd case.

December 3, 2013 11:18:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Something like this will probably work well for you with that existing HDD you have Ross:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-3-5-SATA-Hard-Drive-HDD-TO-eSATA-USB-DOCK-STATION-/180563068018?pt=US_Drive_Enclosures_Docks&hash=item2a0a65c472

or you can get what I got a little while ago that works perfectly, can even duplicate drives:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTECH-SATDOCK22RE-SATA-HARD-DRIVE-DUPLICATOR-DOCKING-STATION-/400426727571?pt=US_CD_DVD_Blu_Ray_Duplicators&hash=item5d3b4af893

This is assuming you are using SATA II drives.

December 3, 2013 11:20:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Jafo pointed out that a case may not be the best solution to the problem in fact the case may have caused it.  I would again suggest looking at a Hard Drive Docking Station.

EDIT:  LightStar has given you two suggestions, there are more.

December 3, 2013 12:48:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I meant that flash drives are painfully slow and rather that spending money on one as a substantial backup solution I would instead apply those funds towards "the next solution", whatever that may be.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000860   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.