Classic Windows Style Out of the Box?

By on November 26, 2013 8:30:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

diceclay

Join Date 11/2013

I'm running Windows 8.1 x64, but like many I miss the features from Windows 7.  In particular, I ran Windows 7 in "Classic Windows" style which made it look like Windows 2000, and that's the style I always want to use.  Someone directed me to WindowBlinds as a potential solution for Windows 8.1.

My question is, is this someone Window Blinds can do for me out of the box?  I'm not really interested in designing any new styles; I just want back what was taken out of Windows 8.  I did look at the website for WindowBlinds where people share their styles but didn't see anything like "Classic Windows".  Also, my attempts at googling Window Blinds "Classic Windows" kept pulling up people complaining about seeing "Classic Windows" style due to some Window Blinds crash.  (Can I run it in crashed mode to get what I want? )

If it's going to require a lot of work, there are some free solutions that also require a lot of work (people who've created partially working msstyles files for UxStyle), but they're free.

16 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 26, 2013 9:04:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

'Classic Windows' is included with Windowblinds.

If you want MS's horrid Win 8 / 8.1 to look correctly like Win2000 you'll need to restore the 'real' functionality of the Start menu with Start8 and while you're at it convince all those horrible Metro aps to function as resizable windows via ModernMix.

All are available here...

November 26, 2013 9:09:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

November 26, 2013 11:27:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yeah, but that is an older version of WindowBlinds, isn't it Paul?

I have the most recent version and the Classic skin isn't there. 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 26, 2013 11:38:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
Yeah, but that is an older version of WindowBlinds, isn't it Paul?

I have the most recent version and the Classic skin isn't there. 

Ah...you could be right....that's 7 ...

November 27, 2013 12:06:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It does show on 7, even with the newer version of WindowBlinds. I guess Classic doesn't apply to Windows 8/8.1. 

November 27, 2013 12:34:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Isn't this Windows Classic...or are you looking for XP Classic? All it needs is the Classic Start Button.

Windowblinds 8.02

November 27, 2013 1:39:55 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yes, the one in the upper left looks like the classic style, but how come the other guys are saying it's gone?  Are you running WindowBlinds 8.02 in Windows 8 or Windows 7?

November 27, 2013 1:45:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Running Windows 7 64 bit.

November 27, 2013 2:38:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What version of Windowblinds Uvah because I do not have that in WindowBlinds 8.01 (020 - Windows 8 Edition) - 64 bit OS

November 27, 2013 4:08:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

the high contrast themes are Windows 8 without any visual style applied. you can change the colors. you will probably still be disappointed. 

November 27, 2013 4:43:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Windowblinds 8.02 - 022 Windows 7 Edition

November 27, 2013 6:00:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

It does show on 7, even with the newer version of WindowBlinds. I guess Classic doesn't apply to Windows 8/8.1. 

Guys, it only appears on Windows 7. Windows 8 and 8.1 will not have/use the classic skin.

November 27, 2013 8:52:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting moshi,
the high contrast themes are Windows 8 without any visual style applied. you can change the colors. you will probably still be disappointed. 

Actually those high contrast themes can be made to look good if you spend a little time with them. Here is 2 that I did a couple years back.

December 22, 2013 7:40:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

So is there no official support from the company on this forum?  I want to buy this product but it appears there's no classic theme I can use on Windows 8.1 if I do?

December 23, 2013 11:14:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting diceclay,

So is there no official support from the company on this forum?  I want to buy this product but it appears there's no classic theme I can use on Windows 8.1 if I do?

as this has been answered one month ago, i am surprised you are not using Windows Classic already.

no, you don't need WindowBlinds. no, you don't need a custom visual style. both these options will not help you. for either of them there is a possibility somebody might one day create a skin/visual style that looks like Windows Classic. i wouldn't bet any money on that. you can also use both to create your own skin/visual style. this is not rocket science, but it is pretty time consuming, especially if you never did something like it before.

it would be much easier if you just use one of the High Contrast themes that come with Windows 8. then change the colors to your own preference. takes less than five minutes and you're done.

if the large close button irritates you, do a Google search for "close button resizer Windows 8". shouldn't take longer than another five minutes.

January 13, 2014 9:41:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting moshi,

Quoting diceclay, reply 14

as this has been answered one month ago, i am surprised you are not using Windows Classic already.

no, you don't need WindowBlinds. no, you don't need a custom visual style. both these options will not help you. for either of them there is a possibility somebody might one day create a skin/visual style that looks like Windows Classic. i wouldn't bet any money on that. you can also use both to create your own skin/visual style. this is not rocket science, but it is pretty time consuming, especially if you never did something like it before.

it would be much easier if you just use one of the High Contrast themes that come with Windows 8. then change the colors to your own preference. takes less than five minutes and you're done.

if the large close button irritates you, do a Google search for "close button resizer Windows 8". shouldn't take longer than another five minutes.

I'm in the same spot as the OP. New laptop, upgraded to Windows 8, but now lost the ability to have the classic look that Windows 7 still allowed. I would love for WindowBlinds to have a classic looking theme like the Windows 2000 classic look. Start menu stuff is not a problem, I can fix that with Classic Shell or whatnot. Alternatively, I would also be quite glad with a *proper* XP Luna theme. There are a few "Luna" themes available for WindowBlinds, but most seem to either be variations of the original Luna, or have some bug or inconsistencies (at least when applied in Windows 8).

Using High Contrast themes is not a solution, even after costumizing the colors there is still a lot of important stuff there is significantly different from the Windows 2000 classic look. (mouseover highlights just to name a few)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000484   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.