Window Blinds Interferes with Third-Party Start Menu

By on November 26, 2013 3:57:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

bobblum61

Join Date 06/2013

I've tried two different third-part Start Button utilities for Windows 8.1:  Start8 and Classic Shell.  In each case, when a Window Blinds theme is installed, right clicking any application on the taskbar of the Desktop UI causes the menu entries in the Start Button menu to change color and be unreadable.  I initially noticed this with the Precision theme of Window Blinds, but have experienced the exact same effect with all other themes - except the Default theme.

Please help.  I really like Window Blinds and particularly the Precision theme, but this problem makes it unusable - and I have paid for it and registered it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

17 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 26, 2013 4:00:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Could you supply a screenshot of what you mean?

Start8 is also a Stardock product and there should be no problems with that and WindowBlinds.

November 26, 2013 6:54:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Neil,

I made the screenshots, but am unable to find a way to attach/insert them into my reply on the Stardock Forum (I know I'm going to be embarrassed about this!).  Clicking on the insert/edit icon does not seem to give me a way to attach my screenshot.  Could you please give me an e-mail address where I can send them to you from my normal e-mail program?

Bob Blum

November 26, 2013 7:02:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Bob....posting of images on these forums is via link to an upload file sharing site of your choice.

An alternative, albeit a little slower is to upload it/them here in the 'screenshot' gallery...and once approved can be linked [it's what I do]...

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 26, 2013 7:34:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting bobblum61,
am unable to find a way to attach/insert them into my reply on the Stardock Forum

http://forums.wincustomize.com/404889/page/1/#3202988

November 26, 2013 9:59:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hope I'm doing this right.

Start8 menu before error occurs:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3746163/Start8%20-%20Before%20Problem.jpg

Start8 menu after error occurs (not certain what actions are triggering the error condition):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3746163/Start8With%20Problem.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------

Classic Shell menu before error occurs:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3746163/Classic%20Shell%20-%20Before%20Problem.jpg

Classic Shell menu after error occurs:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3746163/Classic%20Shell%20-%20With%20Problem.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------

What I mean by "the error" is the graphical degradation of the degradation of the text in the Start menu.

With Classic Shell, right clicking on any application pinned to the taskbar produces the problem.

With Start8, there is less certainty as to what provokes the problem:  opening and closing a few applications.

In both cases, logging out and logging back in resolves the problem temporarily until it is evoked again.

November 27, 2013 12:46:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sounds like Windowblinds is trying to override Start8. Perhaps uninstalling Windowblinds, run CCleaner or the like, reboot and re-install Windowblinds then reboot again. Just a suggestion. 

November 27, 2013 8:21:39 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Uvah,

Sounds like it's worth a try.  I'll uninstall Window Blinds, run CCleaner, including its registry cleaner function, reboot, then reinstall Window Blinds.  I'll post the results after I have re-tested it for the problem condition.

November 27, 2013 10:45:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Tried everything suggested by Uvah.  Seemed to work okay for awhile, then experienced the same degradation of the fonts.  Logging out and logging back in solved the problem.  I have experimented with a number of different keyboard and program combinations and am unable to determined what is triggering the problem.  With Classic Shell, which I have since uninstalled (deep uninstall, including all registry entries), the problem was always produced by right-clicking on the taskbar apps;  not so with Start8.

November 27, 2013 10:51:33 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

More:  Did some further experimenting and found that degradation occurs after I have been working with applications on the Metro UI (Windows 8.1), but unable to determine any single Metro app that is causing the problem.

November 27, 2013 11:24:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You can close the apps one by one I think. Also try working in the traditional desktop rather than the Metro UI. Access the programs from there and see what happens.

November 27, 2013 2:16:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Programs on Desktop work without any detrimental effect on Start8.  With Start8, problem is the Metro UI.  Hard to determine what combination is triggering it.

November 27, 2013 5:25:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Okay...try disabling Start8. If the problem disappears then you know its that. If it persists then the only thing I can suggest is sending an email to support@stardock.com with a reference to this thread. Its kinda hard to know what's going on because I'm running Windows 7 not 8. 

November 27, 2013 7:19:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It is Start8 that is being affected:  that is where the text is becoming blurred.  Disabling Start8 is not going to tell me what is causing the problem.  However, when I disabled Window Blinds by selecting the default theme, instead of Precision or any other theme, the problem went away.  That's why I think there is a conflict and wanted to know whether the participants in the forum could provide a solution, a patch, or a work-around. 

I'm going to work on it more and see if there is anything in my Windows 8.1 system that is causing the problem.  Thus far, though, I have spent a great deal of time on it because I am really trying to avoid contact with the Metro UI in Windows 8/8.1.

November 28, 2013 5:25:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

With Start8 and Windowblinds installed together Windowblinds always takes the lead. You can't have a Start8 styled startmenu & taskbar + Windowblinds for the windows.

November 28, 2013 6:36:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting c242,

With Start8 and Windowblinds installed together Windowblinds always takes the lead. You can't have a Start8 styled startmenu & taskbar + Windowblinds for the windows.

Actually with Start8 1.3 and higher you can have a Start8 theme on the start menu rather than the WB one if you wish,

November 28, 2013 8:59:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ooooh, I didn't know that.

November 28, 2013 9:04:50 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

You can make your own too.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.