Windows 8.1 to Windows 7?

8.1 has got to go

By on November 14, 2013 2:56:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

JuniorCrooks

Join Date 12/2009
+154

Ok I gave 8.1 a try and the more I use it the more it annoys me. I am wondering how to go about Installing windows 7 on my new laptop that came with Windows 8. Is it possible to down grade which I think would be an upgrade to Windows 7. I would have to buy a copy and install it some how online or some other source because I do not have an Optical drive. Can someone walk me through it?

21 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 14, 2013 5:39:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You might try contacting the laptop manufacturer to see if they have some sort of option readily available.  Most likely you won't be the first person to have asked.  It's worth a try and might save you some cash.

November 14, 2013 6:33:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Dave's advice is good, JC. It certainly can't hurt to ask. Also there might be UEFI complications.

Incidentally, did you try W8.1 with SD's Start8/ModernMix, etc.? Might make all the difference for you...

November 14, 2013 11:07:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks Dave and Doc. Yes I have those installed but that is not my problem now with Windows 8.1. The issues I am running into are administrative rights and installing software. For example I still have been unable to install Windowblinds (ticket has been opened) and last night was unable to install Silverlight. It tells me I do not have the rights to modify a certain file even though I am clearly logged in as administrator and in the properties of that file it says I have full control. It also does not create the needed files during install. 

I just like to go back to what I am use to and what seemed to be a smoother running system.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 14, 2013 11:30:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ken, go to the laptop maker's site, look up your model, see if you can get Windows 7 drivers. If you can,download and save them. 

Then it should be as simple as installing Windows 7 and using the 7 drivers you downloaded beforehand. No problems should arise. I use both 7 and 8.1 with my UEFI bios with no problems.

November 14, 2013 3:11:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It is finding the drivers that is the problem. I contacted Acer and they were not much help. Apparently they have no compatible drivers on their site. I only got basic instructions.

Changing from Windows 8 to another operating system

I bought a system with Windows 8, can I install a different operating system?

You can install an operating system different from what shipped on your computer. If you choose to do so, you are responsible for locating and installing any drivers or software needed. Acer will not be able to troubleshoot any issues you have while installing or using another operating system.

Use the following steps to to install another operating system.
  1. Make a backup on a USB flash drive in case you wish to reinstall Windows 8. For more information, please visit Create Factory Default Backup in Windows 8.
  2. Insert your installation media and completely shut down your computer.
  3. Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS and disable Secure boot for notebooks or change the BIOS mode to Legacy BIOS for desktops.
  4. Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.
  5. Press the RIGHT arrow key to select Boot and use the DOWN arrow key to select the installation media type and press F6 to move it to the top of the list.
  6. Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system.
  7. The system will load from your installation media. Follow the on-screen instructions to install your operating system.

Anyone want to buy a laptop less then a week old?

November 14, 2013 3:30:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I can't buy, but I'd be willing to trade a good 17" Toshiba laptop and maybe give a little money.

I have an excellent like new Toshiba Satellite with 7 on it, and it has an SSD in it.

http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=2681585

PM me if interested in talking.

I'm sure you'd rather just sell your outright. I'm sorry you didn't like 8.1, many don't.

November 14, 2013 3:32:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Link to your laptop specs?  

November 14, 2013 3:41:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JuniorCrooks,
I contacted Acer and they were not much help.

Well golly that's handy.  I was hoping they might be able to fix you up with a Win7 download at some (slightly) discounted rate.

November 14, 2013 3:42:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

http://www.staples.ca/en/Acer-Aspire-V5-572P-9655-Touch-Screen-Laptop-156-200GHz-3rd-Gen/product_213881_2-CA_1_20001

November 14, 2013 3:43:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DaveRI,

Quoting JuniorCrooks, reply 5 I contacted Acer and they were not much help.

Well golly that's handy.  I was hoping they might be able to fix you up with a Win7 download at some (slightly) discounted rate.

I guess I am not so lucky Dave. It was a good thought though.

November 14, 2013 3:47:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Touchscreen, whoa. Probably paid a good bit for it. Not getting anything with that link. It asks for delivery zip code.

November 14, 2013 3:55:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

PRODUCT DETAILS
  • 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3537U processor (4 MB L3 cache, 2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz, DDR3 1600 MHz)
  • 8 GB of DDR3 system memory on board
  • 500 GB, 2.5-inch form factor HDD
  • Microsoft® Genuine Windows 8 64 Bit
  • 15.6" HD 1366 x 768 resolution LED-backlit TFT LCD with integrated 10-finger Touch support
  • 16:9 aspect ratio
  • Frameless, Super-Slim design
  • Mercury-free, Environment-friendly
  • Intel® HD Graphics 4000
  • Optimized Dolby® Home Theater® v4 audio enhancement; High-Definition Audio Support; Four Built-In Stereo Speakers; MS-Sound Compatible; Built-in Digital Microphone
  • Dimensions: 0.90" H. x 15.03" W. x 10.07" D.
  • Product Weight: 4.4 lb.
  • 1-year manufacturer's limited warranty (details with product)

November 14, 2013 4:00:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Nice laptop...too rich for my blood, though. I like Windows 8 ok. I seldom use my 7 laptop.

Seems there should be a way to put 7 on that puppy.  

November 14, 2013 4:02:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I am sure I can put 7 on it but without driver support it is a waste of time. I think I will refresh back to 8 and forget about 8.1. Maybe I will have more luck with 8. 

November 14, 2013 4:05:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You have me thinking about putting 8.1 on my laptop.

November 14, 2013 4:09:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

You have me thinking about putting 8.1 on my laptop.

If you are happy with 8 I would not put 8.1 on it. After doing so to mine I began to experience a lot of administration problems which effects installing software. If you do decide to install it my suggestion is do not delete your windows old file. I did that and for some strange reason I got more problems. I know it should not work that way but that is what I experienced.

November 14, 2013 4:21:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well, 8.1 is fine on my desktop, I haven't tried it on my lappy, but I don't have an extra install of 8, so I'd have to remove it from my desktop if I add it to the laptop.

November 14, 2013 10:16:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Had to refresh back to Windows 8. I will not install 8.1. I am now able to install Windowblinds and I am not having anymore administrator problems.

November 14, 2013 11:45:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

HEY CROOKS! 

Me n Kitty bought new laps with 8, obviously we wanted 7 when we bought them, -Here´s what we did. Wiped the disk, -formatted it to MBR, -then make sure Bios is NOT set to secure boot. -Install 7

November 15, 2013 12:07:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting neone6,

HEY CROOKS! 

Me n Kitty bought new laps with 8, obviously we wanted 7 when we bought them, -Here´s what we did. Wiped the disk, -formatted it to MBR, -then make sure Bios is NOT set to secure boot. -Install 7

What did you do for drivers? I read that some Windows 8 drivers will work but not all.

November 15, 2013 6:12:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

We put the most suitable for the Brand & type on them 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000718   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.