Windowblinds does not install correctly.

By on November 12, 2013 2:31:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

JuniorCrooks

Join Date 12/2009
+152

I sure hope someone can help me with this. I had to do a refresh on my system because I buggered it up installing the wrong driver. After the refresh and doing all updates and installing my software all over again I ran into a problem installing Windowblinds, it will not install correctly. I uninstalled it and deleted every Windowblind registry entry and Windowblind file I could find. Do a reboot and new install of Windowblinds but I get the same thing. It installs but no desktop shortcut is created and it will not allow me to change skins. When I click on Apply Style it try's to change the skin but once the loading is done I still have the MS theme.

Also in the past when Windowblinds was not installed right a popup screen would appear saying that it appears that Windowblinds is not configured correctly on the machine, would you like to fix this. That is not happening. Is there a way to launch that manually?

Any ideas?

17 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 12, 2013 2:52:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You didn't say desktop or laptop, but did you try installing with any included security apps disabled(and possibly your AV?. Many laptops come preloaded with a bunch of over-cautious security junk.

November 12, 2013 2:59:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hey Wiz it is a laptop. I did stop Hitman and Malwarebytes the last time I tried it. The thing is I had no problem installing Windowblinds the first time without disabling anything. Something I have never tried and not sure if it can be done is trying to install it from my desktop in safe mode. Can you install things in safe mode?

November 12, 2013 3:08:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JuniorCrooks,
Can you install things in safe mode?
I have never tried it, I do know you can uninstall from safe mode. Are you running 8.1? You might try setting the installer to compatibility for Win 8 or 7

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 12, 2013 3:28:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks Wiz. Yes I am running 8.1, I will give that a try.

November 12, 2013 3:55:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Still no go. I tried in safe mode so everything but the essentials was disabled. Nothing I try seems to work.

November 12, 2013 4:05:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Perhaps now's the time for that note to support, JC?

November 12, 2013 4:27:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Perhaps Doc but I always like to try to figure things out myself first before I bother support.

November 12, 2013 5:13:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

When installing Windowblinds, did you right click the installer, run as administrator?

November 12, 2013 5:32:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes Jim. I even tried different compatibility settings but it did not help. I cleaned up my registry and just ran sfc /scannow. It found some things and fixed them but that did not help either. I am still trying some things before I open a ticket. I am stubborn that way and don't like to be beat.

November 12, 2013 5:36:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

UAC off? Where did you get the WB's installer? If from ODM, try a fresh download from the store.

November 12, 2013 5:57:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

hi

first go to your downloads folder and change to the Stardock folder. delete the windowblinds.exe  installer there. Then log into your account on www.stardock.com and download from there windowblinds 8 installer and run the installer then restart the system. the object Desktop updater and Stardock Central sometimes screw up the downloads and installs.

GigaBrad

November 12, 2013 5:59:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yup Wiz. UAC is off and I got the installer from the store. This is a weird one. I am using Start8 with no problem. I had Windowblinds installed before on this machine and it worked fine. I went through and deleted every registry entry manually which I thought would have taken care of but for whatever reason I cannot get it to install properly.

November 12, 2013 6:02:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

GigaBrad when you say change the stardock folder what do you mean, just delete the installer in the stardock folder but leave the stardock folder or do I delete that also?

November 12, 2013 7:23:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JuniorCrooks,
GigaBrad when you say change the stardock folder what do you mean, just delete the installer in the stardock folder but leave the stardock folder or do I delete that also?

No...he's just telling you where the installer is downloaded to.

No need to delete the folder....just the installer...

November 12, 2013 9:14:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks Jafo. His suggestion did not work for me though. I am not sure what to try now short of wiping my system clean but that hardly seems worth it for only one program.

November 12, 2013 11:13:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
November 13, 2013 4:21:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ticket has been opened.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000094   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.