Need help with Win 8 SOLVED!

hot keys or something screwing up.

By on November 9, 2013 11:34:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Uvah

Join Date 05/2006
+737

This is the problem. I had installed Chrome on Susan's laptop. It worked fine for awhile then started doing the strangest thing. When replying to a message, email or typing in a url the keys either minimize the window or open up other windows and can't type at all. Its as if hot keys are somehow involved or something. So I made her change Firefox back to her default browser. Incidentally I installed Chrome because FF was doing the same thing. Now FF is doing it again. A work around I found was to 'confuse', as it were, the OS by hitting the keys in a random fashion but this only works temporarily. Does anyone have any idea what's causing this and how I can fix it. Its driving her crazy and in turn making me bonkers. Firefox is version 25. This started with FF v24. 

15 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 9, 2013 11:37:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Uvah, have you run virus and malware scans to check to see it the computer has been infected?  Sounds like some kind of browser attack.  Wonder if the keyboard on the laptop is the problem.  Not sure how you would check that out.

November 9, 2013 2:05:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ran ASC, Malwarebytes and Iobit's Malware Fighter, all came up clean. Checked for add-ons but that's not it. To be on the safe side installed HitManPro alert to see if it is a browser attack. It happens intermittenly. However three days ago I ran a full system scan with Malwarebytes Pro version (trial) and it picked up 13 PUP's, 10 from a game played on FB, 2 from IE though she never uses it and 1 from Skype. Malwarebytes took them out right away. What I find interesting is that MS said Defender has been improved yet all these managed to get through. I'd like to put Mocrosoft Security Essentials on it but Windows says it isn't needed. Now I'm beginning to wonder. I've never gotten bit and I played those same games on FB a while back. Not any more though, too much of a distraction. But then again I have MSE installed.

November 9, 2013 3:32:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Philly0381,
Wonder if the keyboard on the laptop is the problem. Not sure how you would check that out.

I was thinking the same thing.  If you've got a usb keyboard handy try that for awhile.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 9, 2013 3:52:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,
10 from a game played on FB

No surprise.

Quoting Uvah,
What I find interesting is that MS said Defender has been improved yet all these managed to get through.

Now do you believe that it's not good security software? MS is far too interested in not competing.

The way MSE works on W8/8.1 is that if you have other security software installed, it deactivates (but updates). If you have no other security software, it will activate. Not worth it though.

Best to use the online viral/malware scanners. There are several. And use HitManPro.Activate.

November 9, 2013 3:54:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,
10 from a game played on FB

No surprise. Stay away from fb apps. They do no testing on them.

Quoting Uvah,
What I find interesting is that MS said Defender has been improved yet all these managed to get through.

Now do you believe that it's not good security software? MS is far too interested in not competing.

The way MSE works on W8/8.1 is that if you have other security software installed, it deactivates (but updates). If you have no other security software, it will activate. Not worth it though.

Best to use the online viral/malware scanners. There are several. And use HitManPro.Activate.

November 9, 2013 4:28:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

i think Philly is right. looks like one of the modifier keys (WIN, ALT, CTRL) is stuck. probably the WIN key.

November 9, 2013 5:08:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks guys. I'll do an online malware scan then check the mod keys.

November 9, 2013 5:22:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You could also try the on screen keyboard, I know, PITA, but a good troubleshooter.

November 9, 2013 5:38:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks Jim.

Tried the onscreen keyboard but I didn't see anything. Keeps acting up and I checked the mod keys, none of them seem to be stuck, they're all working. Tried to get to Kaspersky online scan but no luck, can't type in a url.

November 9, 2013 7:07:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Need help with Win 8

So does Microsoft....

November 9, 2013 7:36:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Uvah, do you have a restore point that you can recover to before the laptop started acting up, before you installed Chrome?

November 9, 2013 7:59:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Need help with Win 8

So does Microsoft....

H8r.

November 9, 2013 8:05:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Basically it ended like this. Not the way I had hoped. Susan decided it was time to go back home to Mom and Dad. She had gotten so upset and started acting, for lack of a better term, immature. Susan's 24 but really a teenager in a grown woman's body and she has a learning disability. I tried to help but teenagers do not like to be told to act their age. So...end of story.

November 10, 2013 12:54:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Need help with Win 8 SOLVED!

You got Windows 7 ....

November 10, 2013 4:30:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yup. 

And no issues!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.