Blur transparency

By on November 7, 2013 12:48:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

psychok9

Join Date 10/2012

How can I enable blur transparency on Windows Blinds / Windows 8.1 like Windows 7? I've tried "Win8" and "Diamond" themes without success.

Maybe adding a texture?

10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 7, 2013 2:07:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Colour > Transparency > on the right hand pane you have your options

November 7, 2013 6:46:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yeah, i known this option. But I don't see any blur effect.

November 8, 2013 1:38:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Blur is no more on Win 8....at least for now. Didn´t you know they took it away ?

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 8, 2013 10:13:01 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I know it! I'm asking if through WindowBlinds 8, we can use blur texture for get the same effect (like wall, flooring,etc included in the program )

November 8, 2013 4:44:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting psychok9,

I know it! I'm asking if thorugh WindowBlinds 8, we can use blur texture for get the same effect (like wall, flooring,etc included in the program )
no.

November 8, 2013 5:14:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Support for blurring was removed with Windows 8, so no.  I believe they are working on some type of solution, but I don't have much more info than that for now.

November 10, 2013 9:55:21 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I second the request. The implementation of blur would have made an outstanding new feature in an already outstanding product.

November 10, 2013 11:17:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If you succeed in put it, it will be fantastic.

December 2, 2013 2:20:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

YES...

The blur doesnt work it said it did, and that it was going to... and then that it had it. but it seems only for winXP.

This was one of the promises that they did that made me buy it (since my testing period was over already, after testing WB for less than an hour some months ago)

And the fonts color can only be modified if you go to the skinstudio

February 24, 2014 5:36:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

you can regain blur and full transparency with Aero Glass 8/8.1: http://glass8.berlios.de/

It uses the native DWM through Directx 2D/3D, meaning it doesn't cause problems with system files or with SFC since it doesn't modify system files... it simply uses what's already there.  While it is free to use, I would recommend donating the few dollars to remove the watermark as it is a marvelous piece of software.

Using Stardock and Aero Glass, along with Rainmeter, is probably the best solution for anyone wishing to truly customize their OS's look and feel.  With these three suites of software, the possibilities and customizations are literally endless.  A major plus for Rainmeter and Aero Glass is they take up such a small resource footprint, they have little, if any, impact on system resources and performance. 

If one should choose to use Aero Glass, check out their forum and do a little research to learn how to take full advantage of it.  For example, if you have a dark background, you're going to want a png theme file that is made with white, instead of black, icons.  You will have to do some minor registry editing as well with Aero Glass (as since it uses dwm.dll, making it for all intents and purposes apart of the Windows OS, there are values within the local and current user DWM registry fields that will need to be edited).  If you're not too familiar with the registry editing, don't rush into it blindly... do your due diligence and take the 5 - 10 minutes to google a value if you're unsure, and ALWAYS EXPORT THE KEY PRIOR TO EDITING... ALWAYS.  This creates a backup of the key and prevents you from completely bricking the system if you change or delete the wrong value/key.  If you do make a mistake and cause a problem that prevents Windows from loading, you can boot into WinPE, load the registry hive that's applicable, and import your exported key.  (Registry hives are located in C:\Windows\System32\config)

It would also behoove all to create the applicable WinPE boot disk for your OS (Win 8 = WinPE 5, Win 7 = WinPE 4, etc.).  You will need the correct WinPE version for your specific architecture (x86 or x64).  Creating a WinPE usb key or CD is extremely simple... all you need is Windows ADK (Win8) or Windows AIK (7).  I would recommend this guide for setting up WinPE: http://reboot.pro/topic/19156-create-a-bootable-winpe-50-x64-usb-drive/ 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.