The iPad Air has arrived

By on November 5, 2013 9:25:10 AM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1089

I'm typing this on my iPad Air.  So far, big thumbs up.

i had an iPad 3 which is what I used most morning s and evenings to post and respond here.  The air has two major improvements over the 3.  First, it's noticeably lighter which makes holding it much easier.  Second, they shrunk the sides of it which makes it easier to reach the keyboard.  I'm able to yep probably around 50 word per minute on the Air versus maybe 30 on the iPad 3.

if you have an older iPad, I recommend it. I actually chose this over the iPad mini retina and am pleased with that choice.

62 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 5, 2013 9:31:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'll buy one when they drop the price down to a level that us average folk can afford.

November 5, 2013 9:34:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've just gotten too used to a smaller tablet.  I can't go back to the bigger size.  I don't know if the lighter frame would help.  It's more about size the weight for me.  

Glad to hear you're liking it though.

November 5, 2013 10:27:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Life doesn't get any better than this.  Apple products are not for "average folk".

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 5, 2013 10:34:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GregII,

Apple products are not for "average folk".

I'm curious what you mean by this?

Edit:  Nevermind.  I'm dumb.  I just reread Kona's comment.

November 5, 2013 10:36:13 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting GregII,
Life doesn't get any better than this.  Apple products are not for "average folk".

Sure, Apple products are for average folks who are willing to max out their credit cards for image and style.   

November 5, 2013 10:42:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Borg999,

Sure, Apple products are for average folks who are willing to max out their credit cards for image and style.   

Don't forget the less functionality.  It's expensive to  get less functionality then you're average cheaper, high end Android tablet. 

November 5, 2013 12:17:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I ordered one from Apple's site yesterday. I don't know if it'll be my primary tablet instead of my Surface Pro but I'm sure I'll get some use out of it. I've grown used to my WP8 phone and Surface so using an Apple product again may cause a shock to my system.

November 5, 2013 3:27:54 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Mine arrives in 3 days.  I'm still using my first gen iPad so I'm ready.

November 5, 2013 3:45:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I really like the form factor of the iPad Mini, but I'd like to give the new ones a try and see how they are.

Quoting kona0197,

I'll buy one when they drop the price down to a level that us average folk can afford.

The iPad Minis start at $299.  I'm not really sure what you are expecting.  

November 5, 2013 8:45:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Island Dog,
The iPad Minis start at $299. I'm not really sure what you are expecting.

Obviously you don't know what's it's like to be poor. $299 represents one average paycheck around here. Wrap you mind around that.

November 6, 2013 12:03:38 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting kona0197,

Obviously you don't know what's it's like to be poor. $299 represents one average paycheck around here. Wrap you mind around that.

kona..........sometimes it's hard to gauge what you in particular may or may not find a reasonable expense since sometimes your posts imply certain technology is too rich for you (smatphones etc.) and then at other times you appear to be in possession (and have access to several ) of that same type of technology being discussed (again smartphones).

On topic:

Personally, I'm waiting for the Nokia W8 tablet!   My devices of Apple persuasion have been largely relegated to being PVR/DVR's and not much more. 

November 6, 2013 12:40:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I enjoy my android tablet. That said, I am purchasing an iPad 4 from Wiz's mom for a good price. Her husband bought it, hardly used it, then passed away.

I look forward to getting it, I'm making payments.

I used to have an iPhone, I assume the iPad will be similar, only bigger. And not a phone, of course.

I do not expect it to replace my android.

November 6, 2013 12:56:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting the_Monk,
kona..........sometimes it's hard to gauge what you in particular may or may not find a reasonable expense since sometimes your posts imply certain technology is too rich for you (smatphones etc.) and then at other times you appear to be in possession (and have access to several ) of that same type of technology being discussed (again smartphones).

The smartphones we have now were free with a 2 year contract. Does that clear that up? Thought so.

November 6, 2013 4:28:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have nothing against Apple and I like the humorous one liners folks are so fond of, some of them are downright hilarious. The only thing I don't like is the expense. A friend of mine bought an Apple laptop, payed 2500.00 USD for it. I thought that a bit much as I can build me a high end desktop for that kind of money or put it down on an Alienware gaming machine. Also Apple is so proprietary whereas with PC's you can almost mix and match. 

On a side note, not to go off OP: Poor is relative. Its all about perspective.

November 6, 2013 5:51:07 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

"Not for average folk"

He means "cost conscious", "who like the freedom to modify their software and devices" and "who prefer to extend the life of their investment through incremental hardware and software updates rather than throw an old device away in short time and be forced to buy a new one".

Something like that I think.

November 6, 2013 6:50:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting the_Monk,
kona..........sometimes it's hard to gauge what you in particular may or may not find a reasonable expense

Being given stuff freely donated by others.

"Does that clear that up? Thought so."

November 6, 2013 8:24:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,

I know exactly what it's like.  And if that is your income, a computer and/or tablet should be the last thing you are worrying about.

November 6, 2013 9:19:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

As usual I don't understand Jafo. Don't care for his tone. And yes ID, that's exactly right, thank you.

November 6, 2013 11:09:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting kona0197,

As usual I don't understand Jafo. Don't care for his tone. And yes ID, that's exactly right, thank you.

He's Australian.  It helps if you read everything he writes in Crocodile Dundee's voice. 

"That's not a knife.  THIS is a knife."

November 6, 2013 11:22:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Island Dog,

Quoting kona0197, reply 10Obviously you don't know what's it's like to be poor. $299 represents one average paycheck around here. Wrap you mind around that.

I know exactly what it's like.  And if that is your income, a computer and/or tablet should be the last thing you are worrying about.

Probably two smartphones with a 2-year contract too should be added to that list too.

November 6, 2013 12:12:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ZombiesRus5,

Quoting Island Dog, reply 17

Quoting kona0197, reply 10Obviously you don't know what's it's like to be poor. $299 represents one average paycheck around here. Wrap you mind around that.

Probably two smartphones with a 2-year contract too should be added to that list too.

you don't understand how this works in Konaland. let me quote Kona for you:

"Except if you default on the service contact they let you keep the phones and don't really care what you do with them."

"What if you don't pay the early termination fee? All they can do is send you to collections and even then they can't get money out of you if you don't want to pay. And then they still don't care what happens to the phone. You could have it flashed to another carrier and go about your business."

"Goes on a credit report and downgrades your credit for 7 years. After that all is well."

source

November 6, 2013 1:17:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Good old Moshi. Just like the The Monk has nothing better to do than keep tabs on what I say. Actually it's a waste of time and quite creepy.

I'm not paying for the smartphones, that comes from someone else's generosity. I'm just part of a family plan. It was cheaper that way I guess.

Now if people can quite picking on me and stalking me perhaps we can get back to the topic on hand?

November 6, 2013 1:56:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting kona0197,
perhaps we can get back to the topic on hand?

You're the one who took this thread here.  Besides, what else do you want to add/know?  You've stated such a device is too expensive.  Enough said no? 

For me personally iOS and its myriad of devices has grown too stale and boring so as I stated earlier in this thread I'll be waiting for the Nokia W8 tablet!  Even though I'm sure it won't be any cheaper than the iPad the improvements MS have made over iOS might just make that expense worthwhile for me.

November 6, 2013 2:49:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Kantok,
He's Australian. It helps if you read everything he writes in Crocodile Dundee's voice.

"That's not a knife. THIS is a knife."

Except it's one of those lines everyone gets wrong...

"That's not a knife.....that's a knife..." ... Spell checker ...

November 6, 2013 2:56:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Except it's one of those lines everyone gets wrong...

"That's not a knife.....that's a knife..." ... ...

Damn you!  I even went and watched the scene on Youtube because I was sure you were wrong.  

Alas...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.