WindowsBlinds Hangs Windows 8.1 At Startup

By on November 2, 2013 5:57:36 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

dypsis

Join Date 10/2012
+2

I bought WindowsBlinds for my son, but found that after upgrading to Windows 8.1 he was experiencing hangs at startup.

I have just uninstalled it and now his computer is starting up fine.

Has anyone else experienced this problem running WindowsBlinds on Windows 8.1?

12 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 16, 2013 7:52:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've experienced problems with WindowsBlinds and Windows 8.1 at startup also.  In my case when I change to any other window design from the basic Microsoft provided design upon reboot I attempt to login and my computer brings me right back to my launch screen.  It doesn't matter how many times I try to login, Windows brings me right back to my launch screen and doesn't bring me to the desktop.

I end up having to restore my computer to an earlier save point, which is quite annoying to have to do.

WindowsBlinds is one of my favorite Object Desktop programs but I can't use it.

Other components of Object Desktop do not have this issue.

November 16, 2013 7:59:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

WindowSBlinds.You would think by now you would at least know the proper name of the software you are complaining about. 

November 16, 2013 8:04:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ChicagoRican,
Windows 8.1

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 16, 2013 8:14:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Wiz.... so I added an extra "s".  Small typo.  Although I've been using ObjectDesktop since before the year 2000, I always refer to WB as such.  Your comment just totally misses the point.

If you have something to reply make it constructive and relevant to the issue.

November 16, 2013 9:39:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

One thing that the OP and reply #1 didn't mention is what type of computer they are loading on to, desktop or laptop and what make.  Some makers may have proprietary software on it that may conflict with SD software.  I don't know that this is your problem but SD folks will be better able to answer.

It also maybe that you just may have gotten a bad download.  One suggestion would be to uninstall WindowBlinds, run a clean up program like CCleaner and don't forget to clean up stuff in the registry.  Reboot and then disable your virus software and reinstall WindowBlinds.  It's be shown that some virus protection software does interfere with getting a good download.  Don't forget to enable your virus software.

If you still have problems then you should email support at Stardock and start a trouble ticket.

November 17, 2013 2:19:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I had similar problems with Windows 8.1. Tried many things before contacting support. Support told me to download and run SDSupportTool.exe and send the log file to them but that is as far as it went. I reverted back to Windows 8 and my problems went away.

December 2, 2013 2:16:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yes. it takes longer to load at startup. ¬_¬ and sometimes WB wont start. (2 windows restarts are needed for it to work sometimes.)

Reeeally really geting agravated by WindowBlinds

December 2, 2013 2:22:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ArielAleXCo,

Yes. it takes longer to load at startup. ¬_¬ and sometimes WB wont start. (2 windows restarts are needed for it to work sometimes.)

Reeeally really geting agravated by WindowBlinds

I would suggest opening a ticket with support@stardock.com as that's not normal WB behavior.  Please provide as much information as possible.

December 2, 2013 2:40:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

When I mean longer is 14 seconds instead of 9 seconds. I know I'm being tooo picky. but in porcentages its more than 50% delay.

And about the ticket. do I doit straight from my email. or do I have to put some sort of title for the email?

December 3, 2013 5:31:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Send it from your email. Title it however you wish as long as it references the problem and/or this thread. Good luck.

December 6, 2013 3:00:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Can't run WB8 on my 8.1 64bits, nothing to do, impossible to apply a skin (bought a premium one and can't use...!), formated my PC before re installing everything but WB who doesn't work, I can't even see preview in my screen!

Is it supposed to be compatible with 8.1 ?

December 6, 2013 8:15:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting lahouari,

Can't run WB8 on my 8.1 64bits, nothing to do, impossible to apply a skin (bought a premium one and can't use...!), formated my PC before re installing everything but WB who doesn't work, I can't even see preview in my screen!

Is it supposed to be compatible with 8.1 ?

Apparently people are using it on 8.1 but I had the same experience as you. Opened a ticket with support but it was never resolved so I went back to Windows 8.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000687   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.