Does ObjectDock work on Windows 8.1?

By on October 24, 2013 2:28:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

WickedGirl

Join Date 02/2013

Hi! I tried to search the forums before asking this, but I did not see any quick answers. Does ObjectDock work without any issues on Windows 8.1? Since I upgraded to 8.1, my Start8 is having issues, so I am curious about ObjectDock. Thanks in advance!

13 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 24, 2013 3:26:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes, but it isn't official. Working for me on 8.1.

I can't say without any issues, but I haven't found any yet. But I don't use it much, mostly just to skin it.

October 24, 2013 4:10:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Short answer: No ODPlus will work, but it's not issue free on any OS. No real deal breakers though.

You can give the free version a try and see if it does what you need. YMMV

That said, I think it is somewhat unreasonable to expect older, far less frequently updated  software to work error free with a new OS, when software written specifically for that new OS and being actively developed hasn't caught up yet.

October 24, 2013 5:39:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
That said, I think it is somewhat unreasonable to expect older, far less frequently updated software to work error free with a new OS, when software written specifically for that new OS and being actively developed hasn't caught up yet.

Agreed.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
October 25, 2013 7:08:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

Short answer: No ODPlus will work, but it's not issue free on any OS. No real deal breakers though.

You can give the free version a try and see if it does what you need. YMMV

That said, I think it is somewhat unreasonable to expect older, far less frequently updated  software to work error free with a new OS, when software written specifically for that new OS and being actively developed hasn't caught up yet.

The app is not "older." It was updated this year. Still less functional than 1.9. But it's not some crusty abandonware.

From the apps web page:

System Requirements

Windows 8.1/8/7 required (XP/Vista are no longer supported)

October 25, 2013 8:13:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
That said, I think it is somewhat unreasonable to expect older, far less frequently updated software to work error free with a new OS, when software written specifically for that new OS and being actively developed hasn't caught up yet.

What Wizard means is ObjectDock is 'older' in that it originated back in the XP days [and before]....and has been upgraded for each OS ver since....whereas Win 8 - specific apps are newer and yet are still now in process of being reworked for 8.1 too.

I imagine Stardock would want to prioritize the updating of 8-specific software first before dealing with the others...

October 25, 2013 9:32:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well said,Jafo. That was precisely my point.

October 25, 2013 10:03:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I will say, Wizard1956, that I am 46 years old, and thus not part of the "I am entitled" generation. Therefore, I do not "EXPECT" much of anything from anyone any more. I was merely making an inquiry about OD, because I am having several minor software SNAFUs from various programs all at once since updating to Windows 8.1. No, that is not unexpected, but I don't have the time (or mental capacity) to troubleshoot even one more issue at the moment. And, I agree with ianken in that OD is not really "older". Yes, it has been around a long while now, but it is supposedly kept up to date. It isn't like I am trying to run DOSBox on my Windows 8.1 PC...ROTFL! For example, Start8 is supposedly up to date, and yet, it is not working correctly for me on Windows 8.1 while it was fine last week on Windows 8. The problem is a major one too (hangs the PC on shutdown every single time, causing a system freeze on a cold reboot....restarts are fine). Stardock support is not quite as helpful as I might have hoped (note that I did not say "expect") for from a company from which I have been purchasing products. In fact, they have not responded to my support request at all since I placed it three days ago. Of course, these days, I am finding no companies provide the level of customer service that I was required to provide when I was working in the field. See...I am an old fart....harking back to the good old days. No expectations or entitlement here.  

As far as trying free versions go, I have found in my last 16 years of computer hobbyist fun, that free versions may and often do work fine, but once you purchase the "full" version of an app/program, things can change. So, I thought I would post here and ask the nice Stardock users what their experiences may have been so far. When I was in the military, there was a saying relating opinions to bungholes and both stinking. Tehee! Well, I like opinions when it comes to the experiences others have had with PCs, especially if those opinions and experiences will save me frustration and time.

Thanks for the responses all!  I appreciate all the information.

January 2, 2014 7:47:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm going to share my experience of my shinny new subscription to objectdock plus, on windows 8 then on windows 8.1, because THEY ARE RELEVANT.  WickedGirl, in short, some apps are OK, but those that ran flawlessly on Win 8, after you upgrade, BOOM!  My systems crashed to an unrecoverable state, meaning a total reinstall of my laptop, which VOIDED my Windows 8 HP Envy 17.3 £900.00 pound less than a month old machine.  To the point HP are issuing me a new license key to activate my laptop.  All this happened after I bought it, and over the Christmas period, leaving me utterly F****D.  Bottom line is this, it caused a an error by installing drivers that broke the linking system of the operating system, I can't remember exactly the error, I have Bi-Polar & S.A.D. disorders which effect quite badly over the December period my ability to retain info, but to show you, this is what HP sent back after my machine was blacklisted at activation time, and Microsoft directed me back to the vendor..

">
HP Support emea_en_general@hpservice.support.hp.com via fmkly6dfco5r46xx.bu5s2lpdbzrnoe5z.0wbl3qk.g-h8qkmaa.na11.bnc.salesforce.com 
30/12/2013 (3 days ago)

to me

Dear Trevor,

Service Ticket: XXXXXXXX3

Thank you for contacting HP Technical Support.

As discussed in our telephone conversation, please reply to this email with attached photographs of problem you are currently experiencing, preferably in .jpg format.

Thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard.

Kind Regards,

Tayler B.
HP Customer Support

Our advice is strictly limited to the question(s) asked and is based on the information provided to us. Problems and solutions may depend on the nature of your system environment and various other parameters that are unknown to Hewlett-Packard; therefore, to the extent allowed by local law, Hewlett-Packard cannot assume any responsibility or liability.
Please be advised that technical information changes as new data becomes available, therefore, Hewlett-Packard recommends that you check back at our Customer Care web site located at http://www.hp.com/support regularly for possible updates. To the extent allowed by local law, Hewlett-Packard shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages in connection with the use of this information. To the extent that this disclaimer is inconsistent with local law, this disclaimer shall be deemed modified to be consistent with such local law. This disclaimer, except to the extent lawfully permitted, does not exclude, restrict, or modify and is in addition to the mandatory statutory rights applicable.

HP will process your personal data to provide you support services according to the HP Personal Data Rights Notice, please see http://h41112.www4.hp.com/privacynotice/. Hewlett-Packard does not require you to send any financial data in your reply to this email. Please don't insert your credit card details or any other financial information in your reply.

ref:_00DG0h8qk._500G0IkIl0:ref

Our advice is strictly limited to the question(s) asked and is based on the information provided to us. Please review the HP Support Disclaimer in your own language / 免責事項: http://www.hp.com/support/emaildisclaimers

STARDOCK have released no updated software to remedy whichever component of ObjectDock Plus actually caused the error, though they are aware of my experiences.  AND SEEING AS I AM PAYING FOR A SUBSCRIPTION, YES I DO EXPECT the company that has had my money, to make their Software SAFE.  I have over 20 years in the computer industry, ranging from graphic design to high level coding, so to those that say not to "Expect" I say this, MY work was always "EXPECTED" to be near as damn well perfect, because I WAS SALARIED, paid to do a job.  STARDOCK have had my subscription money, I.E. BEEN PAID yet I can't install the software on windows 8.1 because they are sitting on their arses.  WickedGirl, stick to your guns young lady, because I find Stardocks LACK of exploring why their software crashes Windows 8.1 to cause me SO MUCH TROUBLE really VERY OFFENSIVE.

STARDOCK, GET YOU'RE ACT TOGETHER, I HAVE NOT BEEN SO DISAPPOINTED IN A COMPANY AS I AM RIGHT NOW.

January 2, 2014 8:51:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Trevor,

I couldn't blame Stardock that much as apparently that your system done a overhaul from upgrading which sometimes impaired the third-party apps' correlations. A clean/fresh OS would be much better that may decrease the contingency.  

On the other hand,ObjectDock is being developed by a contracted programmer,that meant Stardock couldn't do thing in exigency but just reported feedbacks/bugs of it.  

January 2, 2014 9:14:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

@ indiana_trev

First, I think you are confusing ObjectDock Plus, a Dock/Program launcher with Object Desktop, an entire suite of programs.

Quoting indiana_trev,
My systems crashed to an unrecoverable state, meaning a total reinstall of my laptop, which VOIDED my Windows 8 HP Envy 17.3 £900.00 pound less than a month old machine. To the point HP are issuing me a new license key to activate my laptop. All this happened after I bought it, and over the Christmas period, leaving me utterly F****D. Bottom line is this, it caused a an error by installing drivers that broke the linking system of the operating system

Second, from your statement above, you obviously did NOT (as many don't) make a full set of recovery discs immediately after unpacking your laptop/desktop. With those, even a total HDD fail isn't an issue. People, spend the money and time and burn those discs and store them in a safe place. If you buy an OEM rig, it is a very cheap form of insurance.

Third, the biggest bunch of morons I have ever had the frustrating displeasure of dealing with has been HP Support.  My last new desktop required over an hour and a half of remote assistance by a high level tech (in India) to straighten out what the previous "assistance" from several US based techs had done, In fact, the letter you posted is far more about HP covering their own asses than providing any support.

Needless to say, I will never own or recommend any HP product to anyone.

January 2, 2014 12:02:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting indiana_trev,
I can't install the software on windows 8.1 because they are sitting on their arses.

For the record, I run Windows 8.1, have been since it's release. I also use everything that comes with ObjectDesktop on Windows 8.1 and all is well. I skin on 8.1.

So, go blame someone else for your troubles, it wasn't Stardock.

June 14, 2014 1:58:00 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I was having the same problem as described above. I made a change to the settings and have cleared the issue. I changed the "Performance Options" Memory / Speed Optimization to " Optimized for performance".

Hope this works for you...

be well.

June 16, 2014 7:58:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

LandsBetween..now THAT is potentially useful information. Out of everything that has been posted here, your suggestion has a ring of relevance to it regarding my issue with Start8. I will try it soon, and I thank you for posting it. Would you mind telling me if you are just running Start8, or are you running a suite of Stardock's of some kind (or multiple Stardock programs)?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001141   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.