Curiosity, writing some letters backwards?

By on October 23, 2013 5:19:50 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Mystikmind

Join Date 06/2004
+9

Just a small curious question?

How come when i try to write left handed, some of the letters come backwards?

As a right handed person, i am also very capable with my left hand, for example, i can hammer in nails and saw timber left handed. I am not naturally ambidextrous or a left handed person who was forced to be right handed.

What best describes my ability is that i simply have very good hand eye coordination and i am able to 'force' functionality in my left hand with sheer will power even though it does not naturally 'feel' right.

12 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 23, 2013 5:26:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

i can hammer in nails and saw timber left handed.

Quite a trick, but you really should try using a hammer and saw for those tasks. It makes the job much easier

Man, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

October 23, 2013 5:58:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I am not naturally ambidextrous

Perhaps only 1% of people truly are are.

As for why you do that? It's actually partial mirror writing and it can occur normally when experimenting with writing with the non-dominant hand.

October 23, 2013 6:44:35 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

i can hammer in nails and saw timber left handed.

Quite a trick, but you really should try using a hammer and saw for those tasks. It makes the job much easier

Man, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Or i could use the wife, or i could hire a tradesman, or i could procrastinate and never actually do the jobs like husbands are supposed to!

Quoting DrJBHL,

I am not naturally ambidextrous

Perhaps only 1% of people truly are are.

As for why you do that? It's actually partial mirror writing and it can occur normally when experimenting with writing with the non-dominant hand.

It is fascinating .... i remember back in school, my left hand would get sore with my head resting on it too long, so i would have to rest my head on my right hand instead, then i would be forced to write with my left had, that's how it all started (i was so utterly bored at school, i was half asleep most of the time and just did the bare minimum of work to avoid getting in any trouble).

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
October 24, 2013 10:06:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Children, when learning to write, often write letters (and sometimes even words) backwards.  It just seems to be a natural part of our nervous system learning the movements for the first time.  I guess an adult writing with their non-dominant hand experiences the same thing.

I'm a lefty though, and writing with my right hand is so hopeless I can't even form letters, backwards or not.

October 24, 2013 11:15:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am a leftie and I still have to think for a sec sometimes when I write 3 or 5. I am 40 years old Luckily I write 99% on PC/Phone/Tablet now 

October 24, 2013 11:37:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm a leftie and writing with my right hand is inviting disaster its so terrible, but then again my penmanship leaves much to be desired anyway. Just try to read my writing and you'll give up after the first sentence.

October 24, 2013 4:33:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have your same curious ability. Have always had it since childhood. I never really gave any thought as to which hand I would use to do different things, I just did it instinctively. For examples, I bat right handed, but play tennis and ping-pong, left handed. I almost always use my left hand when handling tools , but am equally comfortable using the right hand for tools as well. I've always wondered what caused this odd behaviour in my brain, but it still remains a mystery to me.    -- Ace --

I should mention that since I write right handed , I guess I would consider myself right handed.

October 24, 2013 6:32:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting AceMatrix,

I have your same curious ability. Have always had it since childhood. I never really gave any thought as to which hand I would use to do different things, I just did it instinctively. For examples, I bat right handed, but play tennis and ping-pong, left handed. I almost always use my left hand when handling tools , but am equally comfortable using the right hand for tools as well. I've always wondered what caused this odd behaviour in my brain, but it still remains a mystery to me.    -- Ace --

I should mention that since I write right handed , I guess I would consider myself right handed.

Its called mixed dominance or cross-dominance - the ability to do certain stuff with one hand and other things with another. 

Personally i am lefty, but can do lot of things with my right hand as well. Including shitty writing - but i am sure if i actually practiced it, i would learn it fairly fast. I learned coin-roll trick on both hands in maybe 5 days for example. Writing backward - now that i cannot do - or better said, i can, but i have to actually think hard about what i am doing, its not instinctive to me.

October 24, 2013 7:22:34 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

There is one thing i do left handed by natural preference - opening tight jars! I t just seems to feel right, more powerful and more controlled. I was not always this way, i have somehow subconsciously learn't this behavior over time? my guess it is due to the basic physics and structure of the hand verses the way lids need to be forced, it seems to be more suited to the left hand?

October 24, 2013 7:58:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Mystikmind,
There is one thing i do left handed by natural preference - opening tight jars! I t just seems to feel right, more powerful and more controlled. I was not always this way, i have somehow subconsciously learn't this behavior over time? my guess it is due to the basic physics and structure of the hand verses the way lids need to be forced, it seems to be more suited to the left hand?

Same here...but it'll be simple mechanics....likely due to the anti-clockwise opening motion.

Wifey is left handed....for writing only.  Anything else is 'normal'...

BTW....decades of sitting across a desk from a client explaining plan details has got me able to write their way up....aka upside down ...

October 24, 2013 9:19:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
able to write their way up....aka upside down ...
Ah heck, I thought everyone in Oz wrote upside down, at least from my perspective. 

Along that note: We Americans invented a pen that even worked in that upside down position, putting untold numbers of pencils out of a job in Australia.It also works underwater, another handy feature when you live on an island.

November 1, 2013 8:37:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This  lefty writing (writing with non-dominant hand) actually has written evidence showing it goes back a long ways.  Some of the texts written in ancient (konine) Greek actually reverse direction when the line reaches the edge, etc. 

................ >

<_ .............

................ >

<_ .............

................ >

<_ .............

................ >

<_ .............

not just the word order is reversed each line, but the order of the letters in each word.  So you are all copycats!   j/k

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000359   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.