Success! Dreams once not working on win 8 (due to resolution), working now on win 8.1.

By on October 21, 2013 12:10:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Asound

Join Date 07/2005
+2

There are a lot great dreams, which werent working on a windows 8 machine. Due to a resolution restriction by Microsoft.

I'am not shure, if it is the different decoder I now have, or the restrictions was removed/loosened. At least they are now working totally fine on my windows 8.1 system!

Finally I'am able to use such fine master dreams as asteroids, planetrise and other again.

Damn have I been missing those!

The decoder I use is called "ffdshow", it is freely available. I found it in this decoder pack on cnet (also only installed exactly this decoder): http://download.cnet.com/Windows-8-Codec-Pack/3000-13632_4-75871449.html

Media center is currently not installed on my machine.

11 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 21, 2013 4:28:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

cool. I use shark007 codecs, but with both dskscapes's 8 and beta version, it crashes when I try to load certain dreams. All of Ch-ninja's dreams crash deskscapes. Can you verify if those dreams work? I will uninstall sharks codecs and try these is that fixes it. Thanks!

October 21, 2013 5:02:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Lucid Liquid, InsidiOS, Pool Shark and TriTentacular are working fine, I have only tested those quickly. Some of his hybrids I tested are working too, in case it matters.

October 21, 2013 5:27:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks for the info. I actually fixed it and I remembered I forgot to enable sharks's LAV codecs under windows swap instead of Microsoft default. That fixed the crashing. FYI-For whoever uses sharks codecs...

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
October 21, 2013 5:57:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Spoke to soon. Deskscapes is crashing again after rebooting. Can you verify OP if FFdshow is working with all dreams and no crashing? Thanks

October 21, 2013 6:24:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I just applied InsidiOS and made a full restart, still working here.

October 21, 2013 7:03:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

insidious and sub zero work for me as well. it's all his other dreams that crash...

October 21, 2013 7:20:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

How about the other few I mentioned above? (Lucid LiquidPool Shark and TriTentacular).

If none of them is causing you trouble, could you name me one which does?

October 21, 2013 7:33:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Asound,

How about the other few I mentioned above? (Lucid Liquid, Pool Shark and TriTentacular).

If none of them is causing you trouble, could you name me one which does?

They crash as well

I just PMed Cha-Ninja so hopefully he gets back to me with a fix or explanation. I will update this thread

October 21, 2013 7:40:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

As I stated, they do work fine on my machine, so changing the decoder should help in your case.

October 21, 2013 9:05:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Asound...I installed the codec pack you recommended and I am still getting crashes trying to enable those dreams. I did a full install and left every thing default. Can you explain if you changed or enabled any settings to get the dreams to work? Thanks

October 22, 2013 7:52:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I just installed the decoder. I have not changed any settings anywhere. Either I'am lucky or something else on your system is in the way.

I know at least, that exactly this installed decoder is used for dreams, there appears a tray icon and changing the some settings there effects the dreams.

Maybe your system still wants to use some other decoder which isn't working? Try to see if you get the tray icon, if you use one of the working dreams.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.