Help! my desktop has a ghost!

By on October 18, 2013 5:52:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

LizMarr

Join Date 05/2006
+46

Or more like, why can't I click on anything located in the lower right corner of my desktop?

The area in question is in the lower right corner of the desktop, it doesn't seem to include the tray. It is about 1 inch high and 1.5 inch long. I discovered it gaming when I couldn't push the buttons in that area while windowed instead of full screen. Then today I was working on some graphics and the darn ghost lives there as well. I had to drag the window up to click them. In Firefox today I had to slide the screen up to get it out of that darn ghost's grip and say "OK" to a page. I wish I had some type of program to define the boundaries and show me just what programs are using that space (and perhaps which layer they are on) A la "ghost busters"  Is it possible that a bad video card might do this? although there is no problem on any full-screen applications (is in previous mentioned games in full-screen mode)

I can't figure it out. On day I kept ending all except the most trusted applications to see if a had one that was bad. I haven't done a safe start or a stripped user - but that doesn't get rid of the darn thing.

Sigh.

4 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 18, 2013 6:09:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I know this might sound like a silly question LizMarr, but have you rebooted your computer to see if the problem goes away?

October 18, 2013 9:20:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Many, many times. I've uninstalled some "garbage" stuff. I installed something legit and had like 6 different "tool bars" and programs install, even though I did custom install and unchecked it all. Why do they use things like CNet to distribute their software? More and more unwanted stuff are also installed.  So when I was ferreting that stuff down, I uninstalled about everything I never expected to use ever. No good. When working on UI modification in the games I play, I have resources to use that highlights the window so it can be edited, some that when you mouse over it tells you the name of the application that is using that space at that time, or just simply makes it so the square can be moved and resized.  Isn't there something like that for windows? That tells you what is there?

Further on the debugging path I have switched blinds several times, turned off the aero hide that is in that corner, and increased the task bar to double height. Double height seems to help, but now my already too small 1366 x 768 screen has a major bit of real estate gone. With the games I need to have windowed so that I can watch the GPU temperature. It seems there is no 64bit in game temperature monitoring available, so since it is a cranky ol' machine with a noisy high speed on it's fan, I need to watch. Which let to the discovery of the dead spot.

October 19, 2013 1:09:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LizMarr,
It seems there is no 64bit in game temperature monitoring available
I've used EVGA Precision on 64bit Vista and Win7 with nVidia GFX cards. It has a very good in game display of temps, along with other info like fps and gpu use.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
October 21, 2013 10:58:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The problem is, it doesn't do OSD on 64 bit games. I have tweaked it, lied to it, researched it. It runs on the 32 bit kinda. I think the "kinda" is because I haven't taken the time to actually get it placed right. And then there is the problem placing the text, but I'm sure that is because of screen size and video card. It's a good thing that in games I can usually shove the windows around, I think they all don't occupy that corner anymore. But I want to know "why" it is happening. I was hoping that those who customize the desktops would have something that tells them where to put things (or what is already there)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000078   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.