Desktop Fences is identified as a virus

My employer's virus catcher emphatically says "No"

By on October 16, 2013 4:02:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

MattW013

Join Date 07/2003

Greetings everyone.

I've been using Fences for years now. Sadly, my PC blew up and I'm painstakingly reinstalling things. This is why I was shocked to see the following error when I attempted to download the program after logging into my account:

What I saw

What's worse is that I'm not permitted to install the thing since it's been flagged thusly. Our IT department is strict about this kind of thing.

Any thoughts?

5 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 16, 2013 4:07:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The message means that your Antivirus software hasn't seen that specific file very often, which is common when a new version of a program is released.  Once it has cataloged more instances of it being downloaded and ran, it should be fine, but until then, there should be a way to exclude the file from being deleted.  As long as you're downloading from a known reputable place, you should be fine.

October 16, 2013 4:11:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'll just have to wait. Have there been any recent updates to Fences? I was downloading it via the Stardock website since it's a purchase attached to my account.

October 21, 2013 1:32:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Some day, someone will Google this problem and stumble across this thread.

For the record: The reason our IT department has disallowed Fences is that software of this nature needs system level access in order to run. This is the new 'red line' that was implemented between a year ago and now. Just a heads' up. I was also unable to download my miniMIZE software for the same reason.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
October 21, 2013 2:19:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Fences needs admin rights to be installed (like all correctly designed software - c:\program files requires admin rights to write to it), but once installed should not require any special rights.

October 21, 2013 3:05:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Without a doubt, our IT department has tightened the noose on what can and can't have admin rights. Heck, I can't even install ObjectDock.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000469   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.