2 very Short laptop questions

By on October 15, 2013 2:35:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

onomastikon

Join Date 02/2006
+18

Recently got a new laptop to replace my broken one - got a good deal on a asus g75 older model. Just two questions, if I may?

1. When booting, the screen briefly displays a weird flag-like icon and the words "republic of gamers". This has confused a number of clients here in Germany. I want to deactivate that and have learned this can be done in something called "BIOS". I was told this can be found when hitting f2 while windows8 boots. However I am scared to try that, since I don't know exactly what to do and maybe I can break something? I am computer illiterate. Can anyone advise or lead me to a tutorial?

2. The asus has a program which tells me when to clean the air filters, but nowhere in the handbook or on the asus website do I see instructions on HOW to do that! Can anyone advise?

thank you very much!!

14 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 15, 2013 2:38:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1) I forgot how I did it exactly, but it's doable, I think it's in the options when you enter BIOS.

2) Just run it over with some compressed air and follow the instructions.  That said, ASUS gaming latops are very resistant to overheating, it's not going to be a big problem.  They're practically desktops when it comes to overheating.

October 15, 2013 4:28:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Alstein,

1) I forgot how I did it exactly, but it's doable, I think it's in the options when you enter BIOS.

Sorry, I really need some sort of help, I'm not even sure I know what BIOS is, but isn't opening it dangerous, like messing with some .ini file in the important sectors of your computer?

October 15, 2013 4:42:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This has confused a number of clients here in Germany

i feel ashamed
Sorry no hard feelings but that flag like thing "republic of gamers is the motherboards" boot screen
Why is this confusing Germans lol 

2. Please post the Model name (full) 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
October 15, 2013 4:46:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think they don't know what "Republic of Gamers" means.

Do you know anything about how I can turn that off in BIOS? Without any danger of me harming the laptop otherwise?

The model is G75VX (or G75VX-T4206H to be precise). 

Thank you!!

October 15, 2013 4:48:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

opening BIOS is usually not dangerous, unless you go changing the settings regarding the drive controllers( and if you have done this then reseting the bios back to 'default' will often fix it, and to access the bios settings it is often the 'f2', 'f11', 'f12' or delete keys during the memory testing or right after switching on ( and apparently some w8 machines can even access bios settings from inside window8)

harpo

October 15, 2013 5:16:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting onomastikon,

Quoting Alstein, reply 1

Sorry, I really need some sort of help, I'm not even sure I know what BIOS is, but isn't opening it dangerous, like messing with some .ini file in the important sectors of your computer?

My recommendation is check with ASUS or take it to someone who can be there to show you. The BIOS tends to be built specifically for each motherboard. You can actually cause permanent damage playing with settings in the BIOS. 

October 15, 2013 5:17:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting harpo99999,

opening BIOS is usually not dangerous, unless you go changing the settings regarding the drive controllers( and if you have done this then reseting the bios back to 'default' will often fix it, and to access the bios settings it is often the 'f2', 'f11', 'f12' or delete keys during the memory testing or right after switching on ( and apparently some w8 machines can even access bios settings from inside window8)

harpo

I agree for the most part. If you want to DIY I recommend having a notebook and write down everything you changed. If it's your first time going through the BIOS go slow and look everything up that you arent sure about. 

October 15, 2013 5:37:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Before you go and dsiable the splash /boot MB screen
its only a picture that covers functionality checks and its not slowing up your boot up time

to remove the Mainboard boot / splash screen
1. open up BIOS
2. navigate to "Boot" may be found under "Advanced"
now use the arrow keys down and up to navigate in the list
3. look for "boot settings config"
4. Now there should be something like : "Full screen Logo"  or "Display Brand fullscreen"
5. disable it with left or right keys if thats not working press the + or - ( in some cases changes can only be made while pressing enter.
save...

Das Bild Das Sie dort sehen verlängert nicht die Bootzeit die der Rechner braucht um hoch zu fahren, es überdeckt jediglich mainboard funktionalitäts checks. Sie könnnen das ruhig an lassen!°

In Deutsch Bios öffnen und nach "Boot" suchen , ist eventuell unter "Advanced" zu finden
jetzt mit den Pfeiltasten Hoch und Runter in der Liste Navigieren ( Vorsicht mit links und Rechts kannst Du eventuell dinge verstellen ) also nur hoch und runter benutzen
Jetzt nach "Boot settings configuration" ausschau halten
Wenn gefunden sollte in der Kategorie sowas wie "Fullscreen LOGO" stehen
mit + - , links oder rechts Pfeiltasten , Fullscreen Logo von enabled auf disabled stellen. eventuell musst Du die enter taste drücken um Änderungen daran zu machen.
Falls auf disabled gestellt 
Escape drücken nun wirst Du gefragt ob du speichern möchtest mit JA bestätigen

2. The filters you refer to are build inside the laptop you will have to flip it.
This video shows where the filter is located at... its the little round thingy in the left top

Another advice if you download anything regarding your Laptops Bios or drivers do it from the manufactures homepage.
http://www.asus.com/de/ROG_ROG/G75VX/#support

pretty decent laptop by the way

October 15, 2013 5:54:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

1, BiOS are similar but different for every motherboard. Meaning they all will have mostly same things you can change or set-up regarding your PC but they might be in different places. 

When you boot up your laptop there should be short period between screen you mentioned and windows loading screen where bios name and version is written. For any serious and specific advice you need to give us that bios name and version.

If that period is to short you can always go in BIOS and even if you play with it and use exit only option you cannot really mess up. When in bios you can see all details about it as build name date and version. 

If you do not want to do that download CPU-Z which is program that can help with overclocking your CPU. Once you start it under motherboard you can see all bios details.

On similar note I do think you should receive ASUS update utility with your laptop otherwise you can DL it from 

http://www.freewarefiles.com/ASUS-Update-Utility_program_17619.html.

Dwell into utility and one of options is to change load screen picture.

For step by step how to check this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rIdC7E6doY

October 15, 2013 6:18:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Pupetier,
http://www.freewarefiles.com/ASUS-Update-Utility_program_17619.html.

Hahaha this is funny

Rules for Safe BIOS update:

1. For safety reasons, always use the most updated BIOS utility!
  2. Do not overclock the system/CPU during BIOS update!
  3. Load "Setup Default" in BIOS menu before BIOS Update.
  4. Make sure you have "Administator" privilege on your Windows system (WinNT4/2000/XP).
  5. Close all application programs under Windows.
  6. Disable any existing Anti-Virus applications in the system.
  7. Reboot the PC after the BIOS update is complete.
  8. Switch on the PC and load "Setup Default" in BIOS again.

Never flash a Bios in Windows 
    Only flash a Bios if its needed 
    If you do a windows based Flash then at least get the tool from the manufacture 

October 15, 2013 7:02:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Illauna,
My recommendation is check with ASUS or take it to someone who can be there to show you.

Yes.  New computer, call Asus and have them walk you through it.  That is exactly what customer service is for.

October 15, 2013 8:42:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I am computer illiterate.

That being the case, the ONLY sensible option is to seek assistance from someone who is not....in reality, not on the internet.

Take it to a computer-literate friend or shop.

There are too many settings in a BIOS that can potentially prevent your computer from functioning correctly for a novice to get involved with.

BTW....'BIOS' is 'Basic Input [and] Output System'....

October 15, 2013 10:17:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually I remembered what got rid of it for me wasn't me messing with the BIOS, but upgrading it from Vista to W7. 

November 5, 2013 8:36:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Maybe if you will reset BIOS  to default setting it will help

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000562   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.