Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

Disconnect me.

By on October 9, 2013 4:04:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

flagyl

Join Date 06/2008
+22

Hey guys. I stumbled across this website and I thought it might be of interest. I was able to install it on Pale Moon, FF and Chrome.

https://www.disconnect.me/

Here is the article that led me to the site-http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/07/disconnect-search-built-by-ex-google-and-ex-nsa-engineers-lets-you-use-google-bing-and-yahoo-without-tracking/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29

16 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 9, 2013 4:39:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm currently using it with Chrome and the site renders just fine. 

Thanks, flagyl!

October 9, 2013 4:45:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice find.  I'm going to look into it some. 

October 9, 2013 4:54:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My pleasure guys . Glad I could help.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
October 9, 2013 5:35:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Went and installed it on Chrome. I do see a slight difference in page loading.

October 9, 2013 6:08:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I am currently using Ghostery....

Does anyone know if any conflicts arise from actively using more that one add blocking/anti tracking program at the same time?

October 9, 2013 6:47:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Too many add-ons can and sometimes do cause conflicts. It has been my experience and that of others that particular add-ons will cause the browser to hang and or not display pages correctly. I don't know of any happening using Ghostery though. What you can do is temporarily disable Ghostery in your browser if you want to try Disconnectme. You can always uninstall it and re-enable Ghostery.

October 9, 2013 7:00:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This add on does not work well with Ad Block Plus.

October 9, 2013 7:04:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

In DRJBHL's thread about the upload cleanup tool I posted a remark about an unrelated issue. I discovered the cause of the missing emotes when trying to download a WB. Its Disconnectme. I disabled it in Chrome, refreshed the page and the emotes came back. Re-enabled Disconnectme and the emotes vanished. I think it needs a bit more work.

October 10, 2013 9:54:52 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thank you guys.

I am currently using them simultaneously.  

At first look looking purely on trackers/request counters it does seem that Disconnect me blocks more than Ghostery. How many more varies per page but pages definitely load faster.

Will update if any issues arise from simultaneous usage of them. 

October 10, 2013 11:05:49 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Thanks for the link, flagyl!    

I removed adblock plus and replaced it with disconnectme.  Some screens seem to load about the same speed as before, but one of my favorite websites is gocomics.  With all the flash ads and trackers, it used to take several seconds to load a page.  Now, it's less than a second.

They claim up to 27% faster, but in that case, it's more like 3 or 4 times faster. 

October 10, 2013 11:35:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting MottiKhan,

Thanks for the link, flagyl!    

I removed adblock plus and replaced it with disconnectme.  Some screens seem to load about the same speed as before, but one of my favorite websites is gocomics.  With all the flash ads and trackers, it used to take several seconds to load a page.  Now, it's less than a second.

They claim up to 27% faster, but in that case, it's more like 3 or 4 times faster. 

I'm glad it helped . With an avatar like yours, I will always want to stay on your good side (What I'm saying is: Very cool avatar! ).

I am running it WITH AdBlock plus (and a few of AdBlock's companion add ons) and I am not experiencing any problems or ads. I don't know what the issue is, unfortunately.

That said, I'm glad it is helping most of you.

October 10, 2013 4:40:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm a bit surprised we don't have some people in hear discussing why using Ad Block is a bad thing. Used to happen all of the time.

October 10, 2013 5:30:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,
I'm a bit surprised we don't have some people in hear discussing why using Ad Block is a bad thing. Used to happen all of the time.

Want me to start?

October 10, 2013 6:14:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sure, why not. Have at it.

November 5, 2013 8:40:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I found this link very useful !! Thanks, flagy 

November 6, 2013 8:16:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It works on the Comodo Firefox offshoot IceDragon too - I would guess that the Comodo Chrome offshoot Comodo Dragon would work too, but I normally used it in private browsing mode.

I like Ice Dragon Firefox and use it as my main browser now, including Disconnect add-on.  Other Firefox add-ons I would recommend are Karma Blocker (pretty simple to whitelist sites you want to allow, and other sites get rated based on the number of adverts etc.), Google Privacy (works for other major providers such as Yahoo and Bing) and Ad-blocker for Gmail.

Also, if you haven't heard of it and want an alternative to Google, try the DuckDuckGo search engine at "duckduckgo.com".

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000157   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.