I need a lesson

By on October 7, 2013 1:30:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

DPCloud

Join Date 09/2008
+246

I need a lesson about getting permission. I asked the author and was given but it's at the Pixbay site so do I CCP what was written? Here's what I got; "it's a pleasure! Take the picture Greetings Rita". TIA

20 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 7, 2013 1:48:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Don, best thing to do if you are going to use it with a upload. Say a wall or whatever. If it was given by email or wherever. Copy and past it into note pad or another program. save it as a txt file and include it in a zip file along with whatever you are uploading.

October 7, 2013 2:01:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Actually, that isn't the preferred way to do it, sorry Dave.

Don, the best way to do it is to do a screen capture of the permission email, or permission given via instant message, etc.

If permission is given in a forum, or on a website, same thing, screen capture.

A text file can be written by anyone to say anything and is hard to check for legitimacy.

October 7, 2013 2:13:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sweet thanks!

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
October 7, 2013 2:50:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Actually, that isn't the preferred way to do it, sorry Dave.

Don, the best way to do it is to do a screen capture of the permission email, or permission given via instant message, etc.

If permission is given in a forum, or on a website, same thing, screen capture.

A text file can be written by anyone to say anything and is hard to check for legitimacy.

Nothing to be sorry about. I only needed it a couple times. Both times it came in an email so I just copied the entire thing including the header who it was from etc. and pasted into note pad and made a txt file. I can see why if one received it over Skype or a messenger program a screen shot will be better.

so now I can relax the rest of the day as I learned my thing for today. lol.

October 7, 2013 2:54:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Not me, now it's time to get busy, lol

October 7, 2013 5:00:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Busy? Whatcha gettin' busy about?

October 7, 2013 5:35:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DPCloud,
Two walls and an icon which are in moderation but...

You have mail. Please follow the suggestions included.

October 7, 2013 5:56:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Hankers,

Quoting DPCloud, reply 7Two walls and an icon which are in moderation but...

You have mail. Please follow the suggestions included.

Done, thanks!

October 7, 2013 7:38:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Pretty good DP. 

October 7, 2013 7:59:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

The main difference between not obtaining permission and falsifying obtaining it is the first is a copyright issue....the second is fraud.

The first can be a pain to action against....the second is easy.

It is important, however to specify what you wish to DO with the consented works.  Make sure to mention it would be reuploaded for distribution in its new/altered form....and that consent to do so would be included with it.

October 7, 2013 8:12:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My most recent permission....a little different as it's for an aircraft in MS FSX [flight sim]... required consent to redo another's third-party skin AND consent from the original Model maker whose skins are the basis for all others...

The 'included' consent notification.

"A 'what if' for Tim [Piglet] Conrad's great model of the McDonnell Douglas A12-A Avenger II in 4096x4096 detail resolution. Textures only, requires Tim's A-12A Avenger II.zip http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=3&id=9490  ......by Paul [JAFO] Martin.

This was an original release by Tommieboy and redone with consent.

Relevant thread of interest... http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?56716-Repaint-for-Piglet-s-A-12A-Avenger-II&p=742193#post742193 "

Consents were not included - but obtained via PM with Tommy and Email to Tim.  The simple statement 'with consent' means that were they to later claim I had none I would be guilty of fraud unless able to substantiate my statement with the relevant email/s etc.

To make life easy it's ideal to include the relevant permission texts - just don't get too generous with personal or confidential details...

October 8, 2013 12:45:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

People are flattered when you ask permission and when you show them what you made, that's awesome. I've always enjoyed giving credit where credit is due so when people get tickled by seeing their name and link I get tickled too.

October 8, 2013 1:16:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Pictures on pixabay are public domain CCO you don`t need a permission for them

It may be nice to ask the author but its not necessary!

pixabay

http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

October 8, 2013 1:32:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's seems like the right thing to do.

edit;

It's a great way to make new friends also

October 8, 2013 1:46:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting rlphwshr,
Pictures on pixabay are public domain CCO you don`t need a permission for them

It may be nice to ask the author but its not necessary!

Creative Commons or not, here at WinCustomize.com we have Upload Guidelines - http://www.wincustomize.com/upload-guidelines which need to be followed for uploads to be approved.

No uploads containing in part or in totality another artist's work will be accepted without a written authorization from the original author.  Permissions for use must be included in a .zip file with your upload.  Repeated offenses can result in removal of uploading privileges.

Quoting DPCloud,
It's seems like the right thing to do

Correct.

October 8, 2013 11:40:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

DPCloud....

At Wincustomize.com [and other skinning sites] the concept of 'using another's work' pertains to borrowing parts [or all] of an image [or skin] and adapting it/using it to create a skin to 'match'.

In the case of wall images they might be included with the matched skin upload [with consent] so, eg.  You download a Windowblind by one skinner and it includes a Wall by someone else.

You might also seek permission for a wall image to become a Logon or Boot screen - both of which are not 'specifically' wallpapers themselves but have added modification/s for the new function.

The issue we tend to find inappropriate is when someone [here] finds a wall image somewhere on the net...and just uploads it via their own account - with or without consent.  There IS NO 'value added' improvement to the product...no adaptation of an image to a different funvtion.

When a wall submission is simply someone else's image we prefer that person to submit it themselves - particularly if and when the submission is rejected - as then it may reflect poorly on the part of the uploader and perhaps even embarrassing for the original artist.

If people see artworks elsewhere and think they'd be ideal/accepted by Wincustomize then simply contact the artist with that suggestion and leave the decision entirely to them...

October 9, 2013 8:05:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Jafo I'll do whatever you and the other mods say of course as my top priority is to learn the right way so please don't think I'm questioning you here.

I see what you're saying about using pieces or modifying it but I've got to inject that the photographers I've spoken with have no intentions of learning to make walls but are very pleased with what I've been doing with their photos to the point of giving me blanket permission to use all they're photos however I like.

I know it would be better if I took the picture myself but I'm a shut in because of heath reasons so that's not really in the cards for me anymore. I guess what I'm asking is; If the photographers enjoy what I'm doing and give consent and I'm enjoying using their work is it wrong and I should stop?

October 9, 2013 9:02:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DPCloud,
I guess what I'm asking is; If the photographers enjoy what I'm doing and give consent and I'm enjoying using their work is it wrong and I should stop?

NO....but traditionally here....photos don't always make it to the Wallpaper galleries...as we are interested in Wallpapers, not photographs .... and when the photos are not 'original' to the uploader there's even less likelihood they will be accepted.

Original authored works will always have priority/preference, and the Wallpaper gallery [in particular] is moderated in an attempt to rationalize/limit what could become an unwieldy mass of submissions...

October 9, 2013 9:20:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

OK that makes perfect sense, thanks.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000610   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.