Windows 7 and Windows Updates

By on October 6, 2013 10:40:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

kona0197

Join Date 02/2003
+55

So I have noticed that this computer I am fixing for a friend works better if I don't install any updates. So my question is do I really need to update the machine? As long as I use a good anti virus solution shouldn't I be OK?

87 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 6, 2013 11:03:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes.

No.

MS doesn't release updates for fun.  Their intent is to resolve actual issues...

October 6, 2013 11:09:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yeah. But installing updates makes this machine slower. I've tested it both ways.

October 6, 2013 11:17:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes.

No.

But do be smart about which updates you install.

Example, don't let Windows Update update your graphics driver. Get that from the graphics card maker. (nVidia, ATI, etc.) And only do that if your current driver is problematic.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
October 6, 2013 11:20:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,

Yeah. But installing updates makes this machine slower. I've tested it both ways.

A slow machine is better than a hacked machine. Security updates are called that for a reason. Not updating your PC isn't smart.

October 6, 2013 11:45:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well OK. It's just funny that it is faster before updates. Why I help fix up these low end machines is beyond me. You would think a single core AMD Athlon 2.4 GHZ could handle an updated machine. Maybe it needs more RAM. It will have to wait.

October 7, 2013 12:16:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,
Why I help fix up these low end machines is beyond me.
Because we can, and we all know people who just can't afford to replace aging hardware. Unfortunately, the owners often think they can be "fixed" to be as fast as new equipment that they may be comparing it to.

That ain't gonna happen.

On that note, after an OS re-install, the very FIRST thing I do is install all MS updates. They are a needed part of the OS. The last factory restore I did required 190 Windows updates afterwards. It got every one of them.

Judge the results of the repairs/upgrades with them installed, not without.

October 7, 2013 12:26:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well then what could be slowing down this machine? It has the AMD Atlon LE-1620 CPU running at 2.4 GHz, 2 GB of DDR2-800, and a 160 GB hard drive. It is running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 with all the updates. Every driver on the system is up to date. And it's so slow it can't handle playing back a song with WMP while cruising a website with IE. When you scroll the web page, the music skips. Could it be the AV program? I'm using Avast. I have everything turned off in MSCONFIG and I turned off Windows Search and Windows Defender. The only programs running at boot are Avast and Core Temp, a little program that shows the CPU temp next to the clock. Going nuts here.

October 7, 2013 12:46:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Open task manager, go to processes tab, click the show all box, bottom left. How many processes running while you have IE open and a song playing?

Look at what is using the most CPU and RAM.

Even old hardware shouldn't be making the music "skip" while scrolling a web page.

Avast is a resource hog, BTW.

October 7, 2013 12:46:27 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,
I'm using Avast
Getting rid of that is a good place to start. I used to like Avast, and used it for years, but lately, I've dumped it on my XP rig, my Mothers Dell (Vista)and Toshiba laptop (Win 7). It seemed to be more and more of a load on the systems, plus I didn't care for Avast offering updates to other software. I want my AV to focus on itself, not other software.

Switched her to MSE as did I on XP. The speed gained was significant. Give it a try, Terry.

October 7, 2013 12:57:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
Open task manager, go to processes tab, click the show all box, bottom left. How many processes running while you have IE open and a song playing?

59 processes are running.

Quoting RedneckDude,
Look at what is using the most CPU and RAM.

IE is using the most resources, followed by iTunes. IE is using 689K of memory, iTunes is using 14K of memory, Flash is third worst at 13K.

Quoting Wizard1956,
Switched her to MSE as did I on XP. The speed gained was significant. Give it a try, Terry.

OK. But I really don't like that I can't turn off the auto updates. I will report back with my findings.

October 7, 2013 1:04:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Kona, 59 processes is a lot for a single core processor. iTunes is a hog as well.

Hell, even my phone has a dual core processor.

October 7, 2013 1:52:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

After uninstalling Avast, installing MSE, and a reboot, the system is using 51 processes. All I have open is IE. IE is using 314K of memory. MsMpEng is using 47K. One of the 12 svchost.exe processes is using 83K. Explorer is using 13K.

Still slow as hell.

Malewarebytes scan comes up clean.

I would upgrade the CPU if I had the means. Maybe sometime around the holidays.

October 7, 2013 1:56:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

try one of them ?buntu with low resource usage?

no idea if it'll be better or worse...

October 7, 2013 8:48:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have an 'equivalent' vintage system running 7 ult 32bit ....a P4 1.6 with 2G ram.

Feels like it takes a month to boot....

....doesn't skip the audio while surfing though...

IE 10 and Winamp.

I have no interest in Itune crap.....or Avast.

October 7, 2013 10:42:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting alaknebs,
try one of them ?buntu with low resource usage?

I would but I need Windows for the majority of the programs I use and enjoy, and of course my games.

Quoting Jafo,
IE 10 and Winamp.

I never understood your deal with Winamp. iTunes is so much easier to use.

October 7, 2013 11:08:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

MSE? You really don't want to do that. It's like trying to stop an artillery shell with wet tissues. Do the MS updates as they have updated viral definitions as well as security patches you should not do without. Slower but safer is definitely the way to go.

At least create a Guest account and browse using that, and disable javascript in your browser.

With a low end or old machine, turn off 'hardware acceleration' in your browser. Hardware acceleration for an older machine really will just make it work slower. Use the software acceleration choice.

October 7, 2013 11:43:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,
iTunes is so much easier to use.

And is such a resource hog.

October 7, 2013 11:45:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Yes.

No.

MS doesn't release updates for fun.  Their intent is to resolve actual issues...

and to slow down your machine to give users the impression that win8 is better.

Last XP update I did near crippled my machine. Went from a 28 sec boot time to a 4:18 boot time. They really want me to upgrade my OS.

October 7, 2013 11:49:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm by no means an expert but have you looked at other programs that might be running in the background?  Do you have several tabs open in IE and are they updating the info?  Sorry if you have looked at these or if I'm way off the mark. 

October 7, 2013 2:11:34 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

Not my experience at all. In fact precisely the reverse. MSE slows everything down on XP compared to Avast. On my Win7 machines, it's not noticeable, I think because they have better hardware. 

October 7, 2013 2:52:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
MSE? You really don't want to do that.

So I don't want MSE on my system?

Quoting DrJBHL,
disable javascript in your browser.

How do you do that in IE and Firefox?

Quoting RedneckDude,
And is such a resource hog.

iTunes is using 12K lately when playing a song. Far from a resource hog. I use an older version of iTunes.

Quoting GFireflyE,
Last XP update I did near crippled my machine. Went from a 28 sec boot time to a 4:18 boot time. They really want me to upgrade my OS.

Exactly!! This machine flies when no updates are applied.

Quoting Philly0381,
I'm by no means an expert but have you looked at other programs that might be running in the background? Do you have several tabs open in IE and are they updating the info?

No other programs running in the background except MSE. There is over 10 scvhost.exe programs running. Not sure if that's an issue. And I have four tabs open in IE, but they are not updating until I tell them to. The four tabs are Gmail, Facebook, MTBR, and Wincustomize.

October 7, 2013 3:15:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Win7, 2gig RAM, 160gig drive - Hard drive could be struggling to read the music files while it's trying to manage the dynamic swap file.

Try defragging the hard drive and see if that helps, especially if you haven't done that since installing all the updates.

Set your swap file size to a fixed size if you can on Win7.  Don't know exactly how to do that on 7 and don't know how big to tell you to make it.

It's not going to make it an i7 but it might help.

October 7, 2013 3:43:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DaveRI,
Try defragging the hard drive and see if that helps, especially if you haven't done that since installing all the updates.

The disk is 2 percent fragmented. I will defragment the drive, I doubt it helps.

Quoting DaveRI,
Set your swap file size to a fixed size if you can on Win7.

Anyone know how to do that?

October 7, 2013 4:13:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting kona0197,
So I don't want MSE on my system?

No. It's practically worthless.

Quoting kona0197,
How do you do that in IE and Firefox?

http://www.alanwood.net/demos/enabling-javascript.html

October 7, 2013 4:18:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The two above who claim things slowed down are both on XP.

Irrelevant input.

The Winamp I use is v 2.9x .....because I skin it.

...and it's before it went to poo.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.