Cursor Gone Wild!!

By on September 30, 2013 11:53:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

bodadog

Join Date 11/2012
+12

The oddest thing happened yesterday, I downloaded a cursor named Ying-Yang black cursor. Well I applied this cursor as soon as I did cursorfx plus stopped responding, I thought OH crap what happened? The whole desktop then froze . i thought that some malware or virus crept in, not the case ran malware and avast full scans nothing so i tried the cursor again like an idiot, same result except this time whole system froze. I rebooted again managed to get to control panel and uninstalled cursorfx. I then re downloaded cursorfx was then able to remove the BAB BAD Ying-Yang cursor then all of a sudden everything worked great again. Cursorfx Plus control panel started working fine again. All cursors are working great again! So here is my question are there certain cursors that just won't work with windows 7 64 bit o.s because Ying-Yang certainly did not work?

Locked Post 29 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 30, 2013 12:04:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Where did you download the cursor? Was it from the gallery? If so the download might have been borked. Download it again and see if the same thing happens. I searched the author's gallery and the only cursor by that name is YingYang Tribal, no Ying Yang black. 

September 30, 2013 12:06:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Please provide a link to the cursor fx skin you referenced in the OP.

I searched and found only YingYang Tribal (http://wincustomize.com/explore/cursorfx/2495/).

If you downloaded from another site, it was probably one without Moderation. 

If it was a CursorXP skin, you might run into compatibility problems with CursorFX.

September 30, 2013 12:15:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes I downloaded it from the Gallery. And to answer DrJBHL to afraid to try it again it really caused alot of problems could not even move the cursor over an icon it would immediately freeze the desktop nothing would respond . I've been using cursorfx for 2 years now never seen anything like that before , By the way what is a BORK?

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
September 30, 2013 12:29:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

A bork is a download that was either interrupted or had files missing. Is the link above the same link you used? BTW...the Ying Yang Tribal was uploaded in 2009. Check the file extension. It should be .cursorXP or .cursorFX.

Is this the one?

September 30, 2013 12:41:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,
A bork is a download that was either interrupted or had files missing.

Ross, love you man but sorry have to do this. Have just seen this used to many time the wrong way. now someone has actually asked what it means and isn't getting the correct answer.

Quoting nwolf16,
By the way what is a BORK?

Borked" means to be subject to unfair character attacks, or to be denied something based on unfair or untrue attacks unrelated to the topic at hand. The term is a reference to the 1987 appointment of Robert Bork to the supreme court, which was blocked in the Senate based on character attacks and politics rather than on qualifications or record

September 30, 2013 12:49:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It is on page 42 under cursors (most popular) it is called Ying-Yang by DuoPixart. that is the one taht caused all the ruckus in my system!

September 30, 2013 12:50:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Appreciate that Dave but was only referring to how it is used to describe a dl gone bad. good to know though.

September 30, 2013 12:50:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Still no link.

Please provide the link to where you downloaded this cursor from.

September 30, 2013 12:54:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

By the way you guys are awesome I LOVE WINCUSTOMIZE !!! All of you do great great skins . I have so many wish i could do what all of you do so well. thanks for the definition of BORK!

September 30, 2013 1:00:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/cursorfx/72/. I hope i did this right thanks for all the help!

September 30, 2013 1:02:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This is the link. .CursorXP file extension

http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/cursorfx/72/

Downloaded and installed both versions and no problems here.Edit: Posted at the same time.

September 30, 2013 1:03:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

YES I made sure it was the right one.

September 30, 2013 1:12:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That is the one as soon as it was removed all was well again no more problems. It has me baffled. like i said it never happened before only that cursor . maybe it was a bad download. all seems to be well with it now ! Thanks Everyone it was a BORK !

September 30, 2013 2:15:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

A BORK and a half. I was able to replicate the problem. It does indeed freeze the system. CursorFX control panel was unusable. Did the uninstall and deleted Ying Yang from the themes folder. Had to go into safe mode to do the uninstall. Downloaded a fresh copy of CursorFX and installed it. To my surprise even after running CCleaner Ying Yang was still on my screen despite it not being in the themes folder. Did a system restore also and it made no difference. Had to uninstall CursorFX again as it still froze the system. Will try again. BTW...is there a place other than cnet to get the installer. 

September 30, 2013 2:45:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,
To my surprise even after running CCleaner Ying Yang was still on my screen despite it not being in the themes folder.

You need to go to  %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Stardock\CursorFX and delete what is there , per this thread. See reply #10

September 30, 2013 3:48:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

OK you see now what i had to go through. BAD BAD cursor need to inform who ever is in charge about this cursor and inform the community!!!

September 30, 2013 3:51:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

go to softpedia.com

September 30, 2013 3:58:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I already did the cleaning very thoroughly found all leftovers using revo uninstaller pro and regseeker then then reinstalled cursorfx plus everything is working great now thanks all especially Uvah for finding the same problem i experienced!

September 30, 2013 4:15:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Done and done! Thanks to the Wiz.

October 1, 2013 12:02:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

.....and to Zubaz, for the reply in the other thread.

October 1, 2013 5:55:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The big question is why that particular skin affects everything while others do not. It totally freezes everything. Perhaps it should be removed from the gallery before someone else encounters it.

October 1, 2013 6:08:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi Uvah I totally agree with you it should be removed immediately so who do you inform I am not sure. Should be posted on forum to at least inform the community what do you think? 

October 1, 2013 6:14:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Admins monitor all the threads bodadog. No worries, it'll be seen to.

October 1, 2013 6:19:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks very much atleast I was not going out of my mind,this cursor caused some very complicated problems . Most would not even think of a cursor causing such destruction.

October 1, 2013 7:07:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sometimes a skin can become corrupted over time. It happens. Here's a tip...make sure you have a restore point created. This way it acts like a backup just in case. Then follow the Wiz's instructions on how to delete the current theme. This goes for any skin/program or whatever. Also if you don't have it already go to Piriform.com and download CCleaner. Use it after you uninstall programs. It will clean out any left over files. You can also use Revo Uninstaller or Advanced System Care Uninstaller. Both work very well and are good at getting rid of files left behind. I use both Advanced system Care and CCleaner. Good to have. Just google them.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000703   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.