How can I tell if my video drivers are the most up to date?

By on September 27, 2013 3:47:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

onomastikon

Join Date 02/2006
+18

I just got a new laptop running WIndows 8. I can see in the "System" entry under "Programs" five listings for NVidia. I'm assuming these are my graphics card drivers.  what confuses me is that there are five listings, not one. Do I need all of them? In addition, I can see the Version listed in the right-hand column (in this case 307.07), but am unsure as to how up to date these are. HOnestly, I do not want to change something that is not broken (especially because I am a computer illiterate), but I dont want to have old drivers either. 

Also, I remember on my old laptop, I had an extra "program" which came pre-installed with the video card which allowed me to tune and check its drivers etc. I cannot find that here, but that also may be because I cannot find much of anything on windows 8 yet. How, if not through that little mini-program which came with the graphics card (mine is not separate but came with the laptop), should I update the graphics card drivers, should I need to (and how to find that out)?

THANK YOU

9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 27, 2013 3:50:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you are using NVidia download NVidia experience. Not only does it give you a easy way to check your drivers. It will also attempt to auto config the newer games for optimal settings. This might have been what your laptop had installed on it. 

September 27, 2013 4:47:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thank you I will look for that. 

I'm sort of wary of downloading lots of programs that run in the background. I'm afraid that one day I'll no longer have an overview, and 50% of my computing power will be gone to things that check to make sure other things are optimized, and I could have saved optimization by not having those first things running. Does that make sense?

September 27, 2013 4:51:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting onomastikon,

Thank you I will look for that. 

I'm sort of wary of downloading lots of programs that run in the background. I'm afraid that one day I'll no longer have an overview, and 50% of my computing power will be gone to things that check to make sure other things are optimized, and I could have saved optimization by not having those first things running. Does that make sense?

Use CCleaner to check and remove any startup entries you don't want or need.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
September 27, 2013 4:52:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Does this help?

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

It seems that there is a method where your driver status can be checked via the browser (I also use the nVidia Experience, but I have desktop, so I am not as concerned about resources being used. I can understand your not wanting to clutter up your laptop. Can I also suggest CCleaner to keep your laptop clutter free?).

September 27, 2013 6:26:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

... theoretically, steam can be used to update your drivers to the latest version

anyway.... there's also the simplest fact that if d/ling things (usage allowance) isn't a problem, just go ahead and periodically d/l the latest driver and install it. it either updates to the newest or it doesn't if you have the latest one already.

i would also imagine there's some sort of "check for updates" thing in your existing nvidia control panel (or whatever it's called)... amd has that in their catalyst control panel. though stupid enough.. all it does is open up an ie browser (.... like wtf.. i don't use ie as default) that loads up the amd website. having said that, catalyst control panel does tell you what version of the amd drivers is in the system, so the nvidia thing must have something similar.

September 27, 2013 9:27:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I do not want to change something that is not broken

That is rule number one for Graphics drivers.

If it ain't broke DON'T 'fix' it....

September 27, 2013 11:18:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Illauna,

If you are using NVidia download NVidia experience. 

It will also delete the old drivers before installing the new drivers.....do a custom install and only install the graphic drivers, other wise you get some drivers you might not need

Quoting Island Dog,

Use CCleaner to check and remove any startup entries you don't want or need.

Agree......you don't need NVidia Experience at start up to be able to use it and CCleaner is free and has a number of useful features.......

September 28, 2013 6:13:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You can also just type msconfig in the run or search box and disable it that way. 

September 28, 2013 7:31:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Download and install SlimDrivers ( https://www.slimwareutilities.com/slimdrivers.php ).  Select Custom Install and uncheck the AVG stuff if you don't want it during the install. With SlimDrivers you can keep all you drivers up-to-date, and it's free. I have been using it for a long time now, and it works great.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.