Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 25, 2013 4:11:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Get em!

September 25, 2013 5:33:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Are you just blowing smoke or do you really mean that? 

September 25, 2013 5:57:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I wonder where that came from.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
September 25, 2013 5:59:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Read the comments on any thread where someone is being condemned for allegedly saying something mean and someone will say something to the effect "I hope he died" or "I hope his children get raped" or something even worse.

September 25, 2013 6:04:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I believe the statement is ironic.   Like a double negative.

September 25, 2013 6:05:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Anonymity creates such polite and cultured super heroes, doesn't it? Keyboard commandos.

September 25, 2013 6:12:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Get up front and in their face and watch 'em piss themselves.

September 25, 2013 6:17:53 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

I have gone to many many "community" dinners on the various forums I hang out on over the years just in the hopes of seeing some of these Internet tough guys in person.

When they do show up (which is rare) they're usually meek little twits. Seriously. 25 years of this kind of thing and it's every single time. 

September 25, 2013 6:49:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Read the comments on any thread where someone is being condemned for allegedly saying something mean and someone will say something to the effect "I hope he died" or "I hope his children get raped" or something even worse.

Anyone remember the ICQ logs from/re eFront about a dozen years ago?  Internal communications made public.

Threats of rape...threats of sikking legal teams on people....comments [from them] that their legal team needed screwing over too....

....ah, thems was the days...

September 25, 2013 8:12:34 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting Frogboy, reply 4Read the comments on any thread where someone is being condemned for allegedly saying something mean and someone will say something to the effect "I hope he died" or "I hope his children get raped" or something even worse.

Anyone remember the ICQ logs from/re eFront about a dozen years ago?  Internal communications made public.

Threats of rape...threats of sikking legal teams on people....comments [from them] that their legal team needed screwing over too....

....ah, thems was the days...

Yep.  

Watching hateful miserable people spewing their hate and misery out while being utterly oblivious to it is remarkable.  I've ready a lot of comments on forums over the last 24 hours and I can't help but chuckle at some of it.

So much investment in a narrative only to come crumbling down. Only far-fetched conspiracies or clinging on to their twisted world view allow them to avoid coming to terms with reality.

Some of the comments remind me of Scott Teneman from a South Park episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbIR51_J_qY

September 25, 2013 9:29:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My favorite is always this reaction to gun violence:

"I can't believe someone could shoot somebody like that.  I'm so disgusted by people who even think to shoot another living thing with a gun!  Seriously, I hope all people who own guns get shot."

...Can't tell you how many times I've read nearly this exact line of logic on the internet over the past year or two.  But I'm sure most of us have.  Sadly, I don't believe most of it is trolling.

September 25, 2013 9:50:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Let's all raise a glass to this effed up world, eh?  Who's with me?   Somebody should sell tickets

September 25, 2013 9:52:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

lol. I can picture Matt Gallant as Scott Teneman in this video.

September 25, 2013 9:53:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting smeagolheart,
Somebody should sell tickets

They did. It's the belly button.

September 26, 2013 10:22:02 AM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Quoting Xan,

Quoting Frogboy, reply 10

lol. I can picture Matt Gallant as Scott Teneman in this video.

The cognitive dissonance is yummy.

September 27, 2013 3:46:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Having a developer friend who is dealing with the same hate mobs myself, and it's something that is entirely not her decision on top of that.

I'm very angry about it right now.

September 27, 2013 3:55:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is a great story related a boxers approach to this very same situation. It cracks me up everytime. 

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/mar/12/english-boxer-curtis-woodhouse-twitter-troll

September 27, 2013 4:56:05 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Quoting Illauna,

This is a great story related a boxers approach to this very same situation. It cracks me up everytime. 

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/mar/12/english-boxer-curtis-woodhouse-twitter-troll

Yea, the persistent trolls are usually living in glass houses.  From what little I've seen of my troll brigade that's been the case. The typical troll is an unemployed wannabe.  That's what fuels them in the first place. They hate people who have done things they wanted and in order to rationalize their own life failures they have to invent failings in other people. They don't recognize that their own failures are tied to their attitudes on life.

That said, there are truly legitimate reasons for some of these people to dislike me and what I stand for.

Q: As the owner of a company, do you feel that you have the right to just close the company for any reason you want?

A: You're goddamn right I do.

The people who sneer at my "Hank Rearden" attitude towards running a business are welcome to their view as I have nothing but contempt for them in return. Let them start up their own company and see how long they survive being a door mat. We're the oldest game studio still run by its founder left in the industry. It's not easy building a company that can stand the test of time. I welcome any of the trolls to try it. Of course, in some of their cases, it would mean getting a job.

September 27, 2013 9:37:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
I welcome any of the trolls to try it. Of course, in some of their cases, it would mean getting a job.

I think 'troll' is more apt than people may normally associate the term....

I visualise them as fat, quasi-intelligent 'beings' living their puerile lives in their mum's dark, dingy basement from whence they 'might' venture to shower twice a year [even if they don't need it].....where their REAL entertainment comes from the occasional mouthfull of the WRONG coffee cup.....the one that they were using as an ashtray....

....then again....they may be Nobel Prize recipients....

...but I doubt it...

September 27, 2013 10:01:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

September 28, 2013 6:04:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Howdy Web......

Hate mongers who are basically anti-social, don't care who they hurt, with little or no compassion and zero empathy for others. Is it no wonder that most, not all mind you but most are the up and coming next generation. All of the social networks gives them the one thing denied them outside of their homes...a venue to rant and rave as they please without consequence, they know they can get away with it. Outside they face retaliation, someone would take it not lightly and probably bash their head in. Inside on their computers they can remain anonymous and nobody would know who they are. They totally abuse the amendment that gives them freedom of speech and expression. You can't chastise them physically because then you are the villain and that is what they take advantage of. What they don't realize is that someone just might know who they are and where they live, it does happen. Payback is a bitch! 

September 28, 2013 9:28:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jafo,
where their REAL entertainment comes from the occasional mouthfull of the WRONG coffee cup.

Jafo been stalking me again.

I've never understood how anonymity turns some people into instant arses. Generally speaking I've never viewed the internet as a place where I can run around being a complete douche cause "no one knows who i am".

I'll grant I'm not always the nicest person.. but I say what I think even when its likely to offend. Whoever said honesty was the best policy must have had a better brain to mouth filter than me.

As for the whole internet mob logic.. they aren't really different from real life Mobs logic.. You get a group of people with some common ideology and the wrong motivation and they do some crazy stuff.

September 28, 2013 10:49:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Fistalis,
I've never understood how anonymity turns some people into instant arses. Generally speaking I've never viewed the internet as a place where I can run around being a complete douche cause "no one knows who i am".

I'll grant I'm not always the nicest person.. but I say what I think even when its likely to offend.

And you say you can't understand it?  You're your own example...

If what you said as 'not nicest person' was accompanied by your name, address and home phone number would you not suddenly find a whole new degree of 'niceness'?

That's the whole point re anonymity on the net.

Accountability

....and the likelihood of a bloody nose if offence is taken ...

September 28, 2013 1:11:54 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Anonymity is the bane of the Internet.  When people have no accountability for what they do, they'll happily indulge their basest desires.

Some people applaud that the Internet is "the great equalizer" which is great for the basement dwelling loser who gets to put their talent for trolling on display against people with demonstrated accomplishments and achievements.

September 28, 2013 3:17:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting Fistalis, reply 22I've never understood how anonymity turns some people into instant arses. Generally speaking I've never viewed the internet as a place where I can run around being a complete douche cause "no one knows who i am".

I'll grant I'm not always the nicest person.. but I say what I think even when its likely to offend.

And you say you can't understand it?  You're your own example...

If what you said as 'not nicest person' was accompanied by your name, address and home phone number would you not suddenly find a whole new degree of 'niceness'?

That's the whole point re anonymity on the net.

Accountability

....and the likelihood of a bloody nose if offence is taken ...

No because I'm no different in real life. "Fistalis" has stuck with me for over 15 years.. I'm not gonna ditch it because someone gets annoyed with my opinion. Fistalis is who am just as much as my legal name. As a matter of fact it would take very little effort to link Fistalis to my real life identity. Its no different from Frogboy when he says or does things that some people may not agree with. He doesn't apoligize for his opinion.. he may not intend to offend.. but that doesn't mean it doesn't. My opinion remains the same regardless of whether we're here on the forums or having a drink at the local pub. Does it mean that some people think less of me.. sure.. but I'm not going to go through my life acting like i have opinions which are different from my real ones in order to spare some people the pain of being offended by my opinions. I don't share my opinions with malice.. but do so in the general course of discussion.

Now if you feel that its better to go through life lacking the courage of ones own convictions thats fine.. it's your choice.. but don't superimpose your preconceived notions of forced social niceties based on fear on me.

Glad to know you think of me as a troll though

Quoting Frogboy,

Anonymity is the bane of the Internet.  When people have no accountability for what they do, they'll happily indulge their basest desires.

Some people applaud that the Internet is "the great equalizer" which is great for the basement dwelling loser who gets to put their talent for trolling on display against people with demonstrated accomplishments and achievements.

Anyone who needs anonymity to feel empowered against another individual has nothing but a false sense of empowerment.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.