Browser issues

looking for feedback

By on September 20, 2013 6:52:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Uvah

Join Date 05/2006
+737

Lately both Firefox and Chrome have been exhibiting rather strange behavior. For example, once the page finishes loading it will suddenly start connecting again and in the progress bar bottom left it says waiting for this ad or that ad then it finishes loading and a few seconds, not minutes, seconds, it does it all over again. This is continuous, nonstop. And the back button. You're supposed to be able to go back one page and it doesn't. I have to click on the back button several times and sometimes even that doesn't work. I have to close the tab and reopen it to get back to the page i was on. This happens on every page regardless of where I go. I switched back over to Chrome because this was happening on FF and vice versa. I cleaned out the cache, cookies, history, the whole nine and it makes no difference. Anybody else experiencing this or do I trash 'em both and find me one that won't go bonkers.

29 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 20, 2013 7:58:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I was having those problems with version 23 of Firefox and my internet connection was lagging a bit.  Since upgrading to FF v24 the problem has seemed to corrected itself.

September 20, 2013 8:15:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I did the upgrade to version 24 and promptly got rid of it. I went to yahoo and everything is all screwed up. Can't scroll or change pages and the 'ads not by this site' thing...damn things are opening up pages on their own. I'm seriously considering a new mail provider because yahoo seems to be so buggy lately. I don't have half those problems using Chrome. Yahoo is still screwy but not as bad. Freaking nuts!

BTW...this only happens on yahoo. It doesn't happen here except for the back button.

September 20, 2013 9:10:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yahoo has alot of problem with its pages lately like some one fell asleep at the switch when they were putting them together

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
September 20, 2013 9:16:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yeah...those ads like...you are the 100,000th winner flashing all over the place and other nonsense. Why they let those ads take over is beyond me. It screwed up FF to the point where it was unusable, not that this latest upgrade was any good to begin with. I was just there using Chrome and the only issue persisting is with the constant load and reload...again because of the ads. I tried adblocker but that only made it worse.

September 20, 2013 9:53:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Uvah    sounds like something slipped past you antivirus  with all them popup adds give a quick scan then download FF again THAT MIT WORK. if not try COMONDO ice dragon all ff add-on work with it ***GOOD BROWSER GOOD LUCK

September 21, 2013 3:42:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Did a complete scan yesterday but I'll run it again just to be sure. Funny how it doesn't mess with Chrome. I get smooth scrolling and no hangups.

September 21, 2013 4:00:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sorry Uvah do not use chrome.

September 21, 2013 4:19:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That's Ok guy. Ran ASC and came up clean but when I ran MalwareBytes it found 14 PUP's, I think that means popups, in a folder called LessTabs. It removed them then I checked with ASC's uninstaller plus Programs and Features in Control Panel and found nothing installed although I did notice LessTabs installed when I uninstalled FF. Most likely it was embedded when I did FF v23 because it wasn't there prior to that upgrade. BTW - both v23 and v24 came from cnet. One more reason to go to the publisher's website and not a third party. I'm going to step over to yahoo. Need to check something out. Thanks for the suggestion. 

I wanted to see if yahoo had anything to do with it. It doesn't but those ads are what's screwing it up. I'm seriously considering deleting my account there and finding one that at least stable.

September 21, 2013 4:43:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

In computing, PUP stands for 'Potentially Unwanted Program'.

You could try using a few online scanners to see if they pick up anything.

Uvah, have you tried simply resetting your browser to 'default'?

Also, how many times have I told you to get programs and drivers only from the OEM/original software site?

September 21, 2013 4:54:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
In computing, PUP stands for 'Potentially Unwanted Program'.

I stand corrected.

Quoting DrJBHL,
You could try using a few online scanners to see if they pick up anything.

I use Kaspersky's online scan. That one seems to be one that digs deep for stuff.

Quoting DrJBHL,
have you tried simply resetting your browser to 'default'?

Yes and it made no difference.

Quoting DrJBHL,
Also, how many times have I told you to get programs and drivers only from the OEM/original software site?

Many times but stupid me sometimes forgets. Thanks for your input Doc. You're the best when it comes setting me straight. 

Went over to msn and they have the same problem with the ads. Went to ABC and no ads there. So far.

September 21, 2013 6:41:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Glad it helped Doc is right never download from C net (I do not any more).

September 21, 2013 7:12:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Uvah...use more than just one. No one has all the viral definitions for all the crap out there. When I do it, i use 4 or 5 of them.

After doing all the scans and fixing ther problem, do a defrag (disk, registry) and make an external backup as well as a system restore point.

September 21, 2013 7:33:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Uvah I just read a interesting article about Yahoo Mail it seems that they start this new deal back in Aug where they scan your emails and serve you ads based on the contents of your emails.

September 21, 2013 11:15:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I know about that one WinMonster2. Usually they posed no problem but get this...I go to youtube from time to time to check out PS videos. They have the same problem with these ads that cause the page to reload again and again. So far that's three sites, yahoo, msn and youtube that it happens on. As for scans PCTools has a good one. Kaspersky and a couple of others. No worries Doc...I do remember you telling me awhile back about using more than one.  

September 21, 2013 12:08:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

just have overflown this Topic...even if it seems to be resolved

Uvah, did you check your browser extension/addons ?
I had a similar case with two PC´s this weekend on both systems were leftovers from addons such as qv0*
This little bugger comes with adware changes the HP and search of chrome firefox and IE.
I deleted it in secure boot .
Deleted all the remainings such as reg keys about 7 i think.
after all that i deleted the browsers made a restart and downloaded a fresh version of each.

If your problem still persists restart your pc and boot it in secure mode and make a full scan from there (AV first).
You can also try this little tool (AdwCleaner) it is freeware  - i used it also since both pc´s had no protection at all + i downloaded Avira (freeware) :
AdwC can be downloaded here 
http://www.chip.de/downloads/AdwCleaner_58118522.html 

If you go and use this tool:
Before you do so open each browser and disable every extension/addon....
make a scan with AdwC  but do not just click delete after it is done, take a pen and make notes write down the list of warnings/infected files...
Delete them.

Afterwards go and search the registry for those names you noted, make sure you have an eye on the registry directory (foldername) if it is in a windows folder do not delete it if its under software and the folder sounds unfamiliar google the folder to make sure you do not delete any system files.

If you know the location of your browsers cache folder then feel free to empty it.

(after that is done)

Options: Make a restart, First check your AV for updates, Have JAva ?( then check that for updates aswell) 2 open your browser but leave the extensions disabled launch the prefered site. 

Or you go the safe way means deleting each browser -restart- then download and install.

If you have trouble with Ads - get Adblock and Adblock plus you can whitelist pages you trust and allow advertisment like on wincustomize.

September 21, 2013 2:32:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have zero add-ons on Chrome. Deleted all history, cache everything for the past week. Adblock does no good for those ads. Tried it. I'm just going to stay away from sites that have those ads is all. No big deal. Right now I have only Chrome...no other browser. Don't trust FF anymore because it seems its vulnerable to all that nonsense. At least I know Chrome works. For news I go to ABC...no ads there and its stable unlike yahoo and msn. Oh...and don't go for the 'My Yahoo', do that and it locks you in and you can't return to the old one. I went to the feedback page and you wouldn't believe all the negative comments, dozens of 'em all telling yahoo in not so many words what they can do with it.

September 21, 2013 3:04:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Good thing Yang hasn't been around Ross. He would be turning you upside down and throwing you around.

September 21, 2013 5:20:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DaveBax,
Yang
?

Who's yang? 

Don't you mean the Duck.

I know...I already have an escape plan.

September 21, 2013 6:53:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Had a similar issue with both. Somehow got hit with 'Sweetpacks' toolbars I believe from either an add-on or it snuck in with a program update like Frostwire or something. I really think it came in with a 'Coupon Printing' program the wife said she had to have...sigh. That is gone now as well, so I can't say for sure.

Run Spybot and MalwareBytes 

Their both really good for finding the kind of crap that will muck with your browser. Spybot found and got rid of all the Sweetpack stuff.

September 21, 2013 7:55:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hope you get it sorted out Uvah.Ihad the same problem a few months back Did a virus scan used malwarebytes,and still had a few problems.A friend told me to use Kapersky TDSSkiller its freeware it found a few rootkits.After that all was well.

September 22, 2013 12:29:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Did a full scan with MalwareBytes, took forever but it was worth it. Came up clean. I'm wondering if, like FF, I can get Kaspersky as an add-on for Chrome. Its a freebie but it works. That would be the only add-on though. Right now all is well.

Waiting for the Ducklol 

September 22, 2013 5:06:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I know it does take a while but it works great.I never thought about using Kepersky as an add on ,have to try that.

Glad you got it sorted out happy computing.

September 24, 2013 9:00:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Update:

Visited yahoo a few times over the last two days and no ads so...I figure the problem is solved. Re-installed v24 FF and went to yahoo. To my surprise the ads are still there but only when FF is used. Solution...86 Firefox! Chrome has zero issues with yahoo, scrolling is smooth as silk and the page does not reload constantly. To test it I went to msn where the same ads had been. No ads using Chrome, nor are there any on youtube. Conclusion, IMO, these ads seem to target FF. So Chrome is off my shit list and FF is on it. 

I feel better now. lol

September 24, 2013 11:26:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Uvah...check to see if Javascript is enabled in your FF. You can solve the problem by simply disabling it in the browser under extensions/plugins.

September 24, 2013 12:04:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'll get back to you. ......to be continued

......continuing. I told me so! Went to mozilla.com and got me a fresh install. I got a page open in yahoo, msn and youtube.

No ads...... You see. Smooth as f*****g silk! Not a glitch...... ......

I told me so.  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000547   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.